ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (1978) -- any hope?

emacs

Is there any hope for this seminal Sammo classic?  I have the ancient Crash Cinema non-anamorphic DVD mastered from an extremely scratchy print with burned-in subs, but haven't been able to find anything better.  At least it gives you a bit of that authentic '70s drive-in experience, and has the original mono track instead of your typical Fortune Star 5.1 abomination.

IMG_8016.JPG

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frank Bolte

now that painted faces finally gets a bluray release its just enter the fat dragon Im hoping for to get a proper release...there were some rumors that a german company is trying to get that out but I havent heard much anymore...

someone told me that a remastered 35mm version exist and should be released on the asia line serie in the future... well that was last year and it's still not being released.

here's the remastered trailer from the Kung Fu trailers of Fury collection.

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Really hope that is true.

Would be amazing.

1 hour ago, spannick said:

i can 100% confirm this title will NOT be in that German Asia Line...

does that mean someone else has it 😁

1 hour ago, thehangman said:

dont warners have it in there vaults still?

They should.

i have a very good 35mm print of this,but we called it enter the ways of kung fu.

on video it was called enter the fat dragon

On 6/12/2018 at 9:34 PM, kevenzz said:

here's the remastered trailer from the Kung Fu trailers of Fury collection.

Just watching this trailer made me  :

1) Being eager to get it !!

2) Laugh anf laugh again at some Sammo's gags !!

This movie looks great !!

18 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Just watching this trailer made me  :

1) Being eager to get it !!

2) Laugh anf laugh again at some Sammo's gags !!

This movie looks great !!

It is great! I'm sure you'd enjoy it!

Frank Bolte
19 hours ago, spannick said:

i can 100% confirm this title will NOT be in that German Asia Line...

too bad..u reckon it will be released at all in germany ? 

TheKungFuRobber

Pantyhose Hero wasn't released and never will be because it is considered homophobic and distasteful. I have the old LD and I've transferred it to DVD, to be downloaded from ADC. Warners never bought it out so it gets aired in HD on Malaysian TV regularly.

I hate that movie so much, it's not even funny at all. The end fight scene is good though but I've seen better.

Since a spiffy English-friendly German Blu-ray/DVD combo of this was released last year under the title DER KLEINE DICKE MIT DEM SUPERSCHLAG (The Little Fat One with the Super Punch), I thought I’d update this thread with a description and Amazon links (many thanks to Spannick for his original thread and info on this most welcome release). No fewer than three versions of the film are contained therein! First up is the main version of the film included here, the restored export version, which looks fantastic and features over three minutes restored to the final fight scenes that were missing from the ancient Crash Cinema DVD, although it is unfortunately missing the (hilarious IMO) bus horse race radio broadcast scene and a couple of other comedy bits. This version runs 91 minutes and features the original Cantonese mono soundtrack as well as the original English and German dubs, plus English subtitles. Next up is the reconstructed full-length version which takes the missing comedy bits and the original HK opening credits sequence from the Crash Cinema DVD and drops them into the restored export cut. This version runs 96 minutes and features the original Cantonese mono soundtrack with English subtitles (burned-in ones for the bits that had to be sourced from the Crash DVD), encoded for some reason at 720p but it still looks good and it’s my preferred version of the film as I actually like the goofy comedy bits. Last up is the German version, which is cut down from the restored export version and runs 82 minutes and features the German dub only.

Extras include the original Hong Kong trailer, the original international trailer dubbed in German, a still gallery with German posters and lobby cards, and a nice commentary track for the main export version by the Podcast On Fire crew (Stewart Sutherland, Mike Leeder, and Kenneth Brorsson), as well as a booklet with nice photos and German text if you’re lucky enough to score one of the Mediabook editions. All editions are Blu-ray/DVD except for the standard edition which is Blu-ray only. Here are links to all the versions I found at Amazon.de:

Mediabook A

Big Hardbox A

Mediabook B

Big Hardbox C

Mediabook D

Standard Blu-ray edition

On 6/14/2018 at 3:58 AM, globe said:

i have a very good 35mm print of this,but we called it enter the ways of kung fu.

on video it was called enter the fat dragon

Does your 35mm print contain the comedy bits missing from the restored international export version? Could it be used to do a restoration of the complete version of the film, say by Eureka or 88 Films, if you were to be so generous as to lend out your print...? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Archived