Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) Quentin Tarantino's 9th Film

mpm74

44 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

I'm probably gonna get heat, but I have to say this too. Shannon sure does a lot for going after people while she pimps out her father's image through different merchandise. It's ridiculous.

It's unlikely you'll get heat on here. I think most of us feel the same way about the Bruce Lee Estate. His name is attached to whiskey and energy drinks while Shannon Lee rages about a cheeky little scene in a Tarantino movie. The irony is hysterical.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ah_Tao said:

Shannon sure does a lot for going after people while she pimps out her father's image through different merchandise. It's ridiculous.

• Like 2

Tex Killer

Not so good movie. Waited something to happen which rarely did and characters not interesting. Except Brad Pitt. But he was very cool.

Not exactly boring flick either but one and only tarantino can say never revisit, there just is nothing to see again.

Uhm about very end..

Spoiler

it had (or I feel so) kinda moody feeling and surprisingly lot emphasis was based on talk with di caprio and his neighbour. When entered into his house did he walk into trap?

• Like 2

We just posted an interview with MIKE MOH, who played Bruce Lee in the film. 

We ask him some really controversial questions like: If you were approached to star in a remake of Clones of Bruce Lee alongside Philip Ng and Danny Chan, would you say yes?

Check it out at the image link below: 

Mike-Moh-Interview-Quentin-Tarantino-Once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1.jpg

• Like 5

I'm a little late to the scene, finally got around to seeing this yesterday. Always on my list, but when I have 256 kung fu movies on that list as well, things fall through the cracks.

I really loved the movie up until the last scene. Breezy (quoting Takuma) is the best word to describe it. It's sunny, the colors are popping, the people are beautiful, everything is a Hollywood fantasy, hence the title. I've come to expect great performances from DiCaprio and charismatic ones from Pitt, and they don't diverge from that in this movie. I really didn't mind the Bruce Lee scene at all. Just taking it at face value: Lee floors Cliff with a kick, then Cliff throws Lee into a car. Then they go block for block in a decently choreographed close-quarters fight. And that's it. Cliff doesn't kick the crap out of Bruce Lee in any stretch of the imagination, even if it's from Cliff's flashback perspective. It ends in a draw... what's wrong with that? Cliff is a long-time stunt man who realistically has a lot of fight experience. Lee is a smaller and faster opponent. As mentioned before, he was not a god. He didn't have to win every single fight with one punch or kick. If modern MMA has shown us anything, it's that no one is unstoppable in a real fight. The controversy feels exaggerated and contrived. I didn't think any less of Lee at all after seeing it.

As for the ending, I might come off as prudish, but it's something I've noticed happening more and more. I'll get off-topic to explain. About 10(?) years ago there was a Robert Smigel "TV Funhouse" skit on SNL that while funny, hinted at a deeper human tendency. If I remember correctly, there were a couple kids that were held captive by a monster/bad guy character. It may have been Ace and Gary (The Ambiguously Gay Duo) who rescue the kids, but then proceed to go over the top in their killing of the bad guy. They do every depraved thing you can imagine to him until the kids that were rescued are vomiting and begging them to stop. If anyone else remembers this and I've gotten it wrong, please let me know. Although the person was a "bad" character, at a certain point how much is too much? In a strange way I felt the same way when watching The Walking Dead. The creators would find the most depraved and disgusting ways to kill the zombies that you could imagine. If they were humans, it would probably never would have made it past the censors. Yes, I understand they are zombies, but it felt like an excuse to really push the limits.

Tarantino has always pushed up against that moral boundary in his films. He takes despicable characters (Hitler, Calvin Candie, etc) and then unleashes an amazingly brutal amount of violence on them. I guess it's supposed to deliver some sort of release, but it feels overdone. I felt the same way regarding the last scene. I get it, these were members of the Manson gang and were horrible, if not misled, kids who in real life murdered a pregnant woman and three other people. They were not anyone who we should feel sorry for. But after the 5th or 6th time Cliff has smashed Katie's face into a fireplace mantle, haven't we gotten the point? Is there a point at which we understand that he's killed her and we don't need to see him literally turn her face into hamburger? Sometimes not showing everything is more effective. After her face is caved in by a 3 pound can of dog food, do we need to see Sadie mauled and then torched in a pool? What's next? Are we going to see Tarantino remake American Psycho and then actually show the scene in which Bateman finds probably the most vile ways I've ever read to torture women?

Am I getting old? Is this what people enjoy seeing these days and I need to get with the times? Was this precedent set already with movies like Saw and Hostel or Audition? Enlighten me! (if you so choose)

Edited by Gaijin84
  • Like 4

Cognoscente
On 7/12/2018 at 7:10 AM, DragonClaws said:

Quentin Tarantino must have cleared this with the BL Estate first right?, so he didn't end up like Robert Chua.

I bet Quentin wishes he was like Robert. All kidding aside, I think Quentin should have filmed two versions of the fight including one where Bruce wins because then Quentin could have presented a narrative where each man tells their side of the story to different groups of people.

12094861_467602600094061_255928086790195466_o.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 12:09 AM, Gaijin84 said:

Am I getting old? Is this what people enjoy seeing these days and I need to get with the times? Was this precedent set already with movies like Saw and Hostel or Audition? Enlighten me! (if you so choose)

I've been having these "getting old" feelings myself. I see YouTube clips of new Mortal Combat games and I'm about to puke. A lot of the recent horror movies feel off putting too, somehow they're just so cruel and lingering on the pain.

I surprise myself by saying these things, considering I absolutely love what people used to call "ultra-violence" two decades ago. Lone Wolf and Cub, Sonny Chiba films, John Woo, most 90s CAT III classics, those are all dear and enjoyable entertainment to me.

All that being said, I was laughing my ass off in theatre in the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood climax... all three times I went to see it. I don't think many other did, but at least the Japanese censors got the joke since they rated the film PG-12. Then again, they've rated Starship Troopers, Goodfellas, Dirty Harry, Robocop, Pulp Fiction, Silence of the Lambs and Fight Club PG-12 as well :laugh

• Like 3

TheKungFuRobber
On 7/1/2021 at 12:38 PM, SamSeed said:

middle class SJWs who are 1/16th Chinese and think it makes their opinion on the Bruce Lee myth so important cry, a few medium articles get printed, and the world still turns...

Frankly Quentin Tarantino doesn't give a shit, he never has. Like him or not, he makes what he wants to make whether it's socially acceptable or PC to do it and can handle the criticism. I sympathize with him that the whole Bruce Lee as a fish out of the water story is a complete fib. The guy had a huge ego and liked to talk a lot and that's just it and if Quentin Tarantino wants to give another side to the Bruce Lee myth then that's his perogative. I watched the film, it was a good laugh.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 2

CharlieParker

I'd just re-read 'The Family' by Ed Sanders about a weeks before I watched it and couldn't help thinking that a large chunk of the source material in OUATIH came from that book. 

It's funny because all I can find online is that Sanders' book is "recommended reading" for anyone who's seen the film?

No, I'd argue that the book is essential for anyone who liked the film because that's probably what it's actually based on. I don't just mean the basic facts of the Manson case, I mean the general structure of the film and how it plays out - how the story is told. 

It's a great movie but credit where credit's due.

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 3