Stuntwomen: The Untold Hollywood Story (2018)- Documentary & Related Content

DragonClaws

Drunken Monk

I am obsessed with stunt work at the moment and desperately need to see this. The trailer was pretty ramshackle so I wonder if this will actually get some kind of official release. I hope so because this really is my cup of tea.

Does anyone know of any other widely available stunt documentaries? I mean, other than "Red Trousers."

• Like 1

DragonClaws
32 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The trailer was pretty ramshackle so I wonder if this will actually get some kind of official release. I hope so because this really is my cup of tea.

The trailer looked alright to me, fingers crossed it gets some kind of official release, on one of the many home entertainment formats.

33 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does anyone know of any other widely available stunt documentaries? I mean, other than "Red Trousers."

Here's some related stuff I found online.

What does it take to be a stuntman? Mark Stark interviews Eric Jacobus, Shaun Finney, and Edward Kahana of the Bay Area-based stunt crew The Stunt People to find out.

And one for fans of 1980's action cinema.

The history of films is over-flowing with moments of amazing action scenes, moments where stunt performers - whether to elicit a gasp or a laugh - have often risked life and limb to thrill us. Film clips included are from Commando, Rambo, Roadhouse, Running Man, Pink Panther, Octopussy, Stage Coach, Apocalypse Now, Ben Hur, Romancing the Stone, Skin Deep, Mad Max, Red Heat and many others.

• Like 2

Female empowerment, is a trendy word in Hollywood right now, but this lady was way ahead of the curve.

@Drunken Monk might appreciate this vtinage stunt related feature, before the days of gren-screen's.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 6:58 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The trailer was pretty ramshackle so I wonder if this will actually get some kind of official release.

They finished the film, I wonder if it will get any kind of DVD/Blu-Ray release?.

• Like 1

• Administrator
On 6/6/2018 at 12:45 PM, DragonClaws said:

I was thinking of posting this in the Women Of Martial Arts Cinema thread, but felt it deserved one of its own.

Nice one @DragonClaws.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:58 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I am obsessed with stunt work at the moment and desperately need to see this. The trailer was pretty ramshackle so I wonder if this will actually get some kind of official release. I hope so because this really is my cup of tea.

@Drunken Monk have you ever seen DOUBLE DARE (2004) which is a documentary featuring Jeannie Epper and Zoe Bell. For action fans that are my age, I guarantee you've seen Ms. Epper's work countless times. She stunt-doubled Lynda Carter on TV's WONDER WOMAN (1975-79), and worked on a ton of films, everything from THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972) to COFFY (1973), BLAZING SADDLES (1974), SOYLENT GREEN (1973), THE BIONIC WOMAN TV show (1976), THE BLUES BROTHERS (1980), POLTERGEIST and BLADE RUNNER (both 1982) and many more. Her last credit doing stunt work was in 2015 when she did work on the film HOT PURSUIT, impressively,at the age of 74! Her father John Epper (THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, 1962) was a famously accomplished stuntman, and so were other members of her family.

More of you are probably familiar with Zoe Bell who doubled Uma Thurman as "The Bride" in both KILL BILL films (2003-2004) and Lucy Lawless in the TV show XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS (1998-2001). Thanks to director Quentin Tarantino she was given her first big roll as an actress (and also pulling double-duty performing some extremely harrowing stunts) on 2007's DEATH PROOF from GRINDHOUSE, and has continued to do acting and stunt-work. She'll soon be seen again in Tarantino's new, upcoming film ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (2019).

I also can't recommend JACKIE CHAN: INSIDE MY STUNTS (1999) highly enough. It's a fantastic look inside the process of Chan and his incredible stunt team, and he shows how he pulled off lots of his most famous stunts, sometimes even demonstrating them again. Two versions of this were filmed back to back. First Chan would do a scene/explanation in Chinese, then a second version of the same thing would be filmed in English. The original Media Asia DVD release of this includes both versions, and as you can imagine there are some (usually subtle, but sometimes not) differences in each one, so they are both worth watching.

On a much less professional level, featuring more of a "daredevil" sort of stunt work, but no less jaw-dropping, I'd also recommend the recently released to Blu-ray (by Code Red) STEEL ARENA (1973). Along the same lines, THE LIFE AND TIMES OF H.B. "TOBY" HALICKI, a 45-minute documentary which can be found on some DVD releases of GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS (1974), THE JUNKMAN (1982), and DEADLINE AUTO THEFT (1983), all starring and directed by Halicki.

• Like 2

Thanks @KUNG FU BOB for the suggestions. I love My Stunts and I'm due to re-watch it any day now. It's been quite a while since I've popped it in the DVD player. I believe I have the Hong Kong Legends release.

I might check out Double Dare too since I'm quite the fan of Zoe Bell. I'm still in awe of her work in Death Proof. Those "on the hood" scenes were no mean feat.

• Like 3