But Still: Vaughan Savidge on His Hong Kong Dubbing Career

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

But Still: Vaughan Savidge on His Hong Kong Dubbing Career

Link- http://sidelongglancesofapigeonkicker.blogspot.com/2010/10/but-still-vaughan-savidge-on-his-hk.html

Wong Yu, in a scene from He Has Nothing but Kung Fu(1977) directed by Lau Kar-Wing.

jlk71-GP46C44JSKR-Full-Image_GalleryBack

I'm sure @Silver and Gold Dragon will appreciate this Vaughan Savidge interview?.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon
11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm sure @Silver and Gold Dragon will appreciate this Vaughan Savidge interview?.

"Certainly":

And I'll be sure to link this thread in the 'Dubbing information and discussion' thread.

DragonClaws
7 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

And I'll be sure to link this thread in the 'Dubbing information and discussion' thread.

You read my mind dude, sounds like a good way to keep track of any future articles/interviews people post.

Omni Dragon

Oh, I've just noticed that Vaughan Savidge article was shared by @Pai Mei before in this thread:

DragonClaws
2 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Oh, I've just noticed that Vaughan Savidge article was shared by @Pai Mei before in this thread:

I checked your post i the general discussion forum before posting it, thought we might be lucky if it wasnt already on here. The interview was put online a good few years ago.

Omni Dragon
18 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I checked your post i the general discussion forum before posting it, thought we might be lucky if it wasnt already on here. The interview was put online a good few years ago.

Well it's good to see your enthusiasm. I do find info on the dubbers fascinating and it's not like we're over saturated with info (meaning: I feel like info on the dubbers is somewhat scant)

Also I think I might adjust the thread 'Dubbing information and discussion' to clarify what links have been shared already.

26 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

You read my mind dude, sounds like a good way to keep track of any future articles/interviews people post. 

Glad my intention for the thread is understood. 

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Well it's good to see your enthusiasm. I do find info on the dubbers fascinating and it's not like we're over saturated with info (meaning: I feel like info on the dubbers is somewhat scant)

When ever I stumble upon something that I think others here will appreciate, I post it here.

I see you have looked into some of the other dubbers that Savidge could recall. At least thats lead you to some new materiel on the subject.

Killer Meteor

I don't really think of "but still" when I hear the name Vaughan Savidge - I think of those overly British sounding dubs like Fearless Hyena and the many Godfrey Ho titles. I assume he is the voice artist in question as he is credited dub director, but you never know. Those dubs make you appreciate Ted Thomas all the more.

Small biogrpahy of Mr Savidge.

Vaughan Savidge

The smoothly modulated voice of Vaughan Savidge reaches us regularly over the airwaves of the World Service, Radio 3 and, principally, Radio 4, where he has worked as a freelance newsreader and continuity announcer for six years.

Born in Luton in 1956, to journalist parents, he spent his early life travelling around Africa, Australia and the Far East. He returned to Britain briefly for a traditional education before beginning his journalistic career at the age of 16 as a trainee broadcaster in Hong Kong. Before long, he combined jobs at all three of Hong Kong's radio stations with time spent dubbing kung-fu films.

Savidge moved on to join the British Forces Broadcasting Service in Gibraltar and then West Germany, where he began a four-year stint producing weekly programmes.

As with many of his colleagues, Savidge does freelance work in advertising and corporate videos and also teaches businessmen interview skills for radio and television.

Savidge has had less than professional moments as a Radio 4 announcer. On one occasion he arrived in the studio too out of breath to read the news, after running downstairs, and the Today programme presenter John Humphrys had to save the day by grabbing the script and doing the work for him.

From the following article, on BBC Radio presenters, Link- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/good-faces-for-radio-unmasking-the-broadcasters-476882.html

Archived