Dubbing information and discussion

Omni Dragon

dionbrother
On 9/21/2024 at 3:55 PM, Omni Dragon said:

It's very likely who ever dubbed Chris Hilton in Dog Tags was a dubber working in Rome at the time. I'm now thinking it might have been Larry Dolgin who dubbed Chris Hilton rather than Nick Alexander.

Here is what Larry Dolgin's voice sounds like:

And at 0:41 in the video below is what Nick Alexander's voice sounds like:

I can back you up on the guess that Larry Dolgin is dubbing Hilton.  Been a fan of Dolgin's dubbing for decades so it tripped me out hearing him dub my other favorite dubber Hilton!

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
21 hours ago, sydperks said:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Kung Fu Fandom @sydperks.

21 hours ago, sydperks said:

Occasionally the wider martial arts community has helped us, often indirectly, or has identified certain dubbers before we have, which has helped us connect names to voices in dubs more of interest to the kaiju community. I don't mean to sound like this forum isn't my community, though, as i do consider myself a big fan of martial arts films compared to the average kaiju fan; just one of many reasons I have been so gung-ho about identifying this person, as these two areas of dubbing fully overlap with this unknown individual. In my opinion you really can't get a good sense of how HK dubbing developed and how the casts evolved unless you're into a combination of Japanese scifi, anime and martial arts films, plus the odd crime or war film that got dubbed.

While Kung Fu Fandom members, unsurprisingly have a strong interest in martial art movies. Lots of members are also interested in a wide range of different types. I have definitely seen kaiju and anime discussed here. On a personal note, looking into info on English dubbing in HK has led to me developing an interest in kaiju movies, but still, I've not seen that many so far.

23 hours ago, sydperks said:

So, I am wondering if anyone here thinks they know who this is, or can help us in any way. Thanks!

I hope I'm wrong, but still, I'd guess if someone knew they would probably have mentioned it in this thread or elsewhere on the forums. That said I'm wondering if it might be better to ask this in the 'Questions & Answers' section; https://www.kungfufandom.com/forum/58-questions-answers/ as it will probably get more noticed there.

23 hours ago, sydperks said:

I realise this will have been contributed to by multiple people, but still, I have a couple of questions about things on there.

I noticed that there's quite a few mentions of 'Save All Dubs (SAD)', do you happen to know who they are?

Also, I noticed it says:

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman. The only known English dub was made by Vaughn Savidge long after the film's original release. Because this is a Shaw Brothers film from 1969 featuring Wang Yu, it is likely that an unconfirmed, earlier dub was made by Axis closer to the film's original release. If confirmed, it is extremely likely that Gengo voiced Wang Yu, due to Gengo being cast as Wang Yu's voice in all of Wang Yu's other Shaw Brothers films after Trail of the Broken Blade.

The English dub for Return of the One-Armed Swordsman doesn't sound like it was done by the Vaughn Savidge group.

In fact in another thread (https://www.kungfufandom.com/topic/15419-what-was-the-last-classic-martial-arts-film-you-watched/?do=findComment&comment=331706&_rid=5639) @Killer Meteor posted this about them:

There's a few titles with these dubbers - Ma Su Chen, The Hero and even Shaw's Return of the One Armed Swordsman. They sound authentically Asian, but the English is terrible! I guess they were only used when all the other dubbing houses were busy.

11 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

Save All Dubs

Dubbing and film research group co-managed by me and sydperks.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon
6 minutes ago, Chorake said:

Dubbing and film research group co-managed by me and sydperks.

Do you publish your research publicly?

dionbrother
26 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

The English dub for Return of the One-Armed Swordsman doesn't sound like it was done by the Vaughn Savidge group.

It definitely sounds like the work of an ESL crew.  Like Cantonese speakers using broken English.

• Like 1

The Vaughn Savidge mention was an error made by me which I'll remove. Let's please move on from that, though, as it's really irrelevant to the whole reason I even posted.

My group doesn't consistently publish anything publicly in the official sense; we're a grassroots project. A few of us have ended up doing work for some official home video releases.

Edited by sydperks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Omni Dragon said:

Do you publish your research publicly?

You've seen it in action on the Arrow Bruce set.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
7 hours ago, sydperks said:

The Vaughn Savidge mention was an error made by me which I'll remove. Let's please move on from that, though, as it's really irrelevant to the whole reason I even posted.

Sorry, I only really brought it up because it was the only thing I could add. The rest of it was so well written and informed. I learned a lot from it.

• Like 2

sydperks
Posted (edited)

I have identified a rare 1973 appearance by the unidentified Shaw Brothers Jimmy Wang Yu dubber in plain sight: he's in The Awaken Punch (1973) as supporting characters and the most awful villain in the movie. This is a movie that never caught my eye when I was trying to form a timeline of his dubbing and find any late appearances. I don't really blame myself, as I did the bulk of that work before this movie's Blu-Ray transfer even appeared on YouTube until a few days ago, and before then it was generally just one of many low profile Big Boss ripoffs from that era that I must've glossed over.

But what this means is instead of leaving Hong Kong in 1972, he seemed to stay and just slowed down his dubbing activity dramatically. Has anyone heard this guy in anything else from 1973 or the mid '70s? I'm not expecting him to show up in a lot more dubs, but I hope he's in more. Love that he broke his streak of really clean cut roles and seemed to really indulge in dubbing people who are figuratively or literally monsters (including a vampire) in his last few years.

Edited by sydperks
  • Like 2