Dubbing information and discussion

Omni Dragon

38 minutes ago, Secret Executioner said:

Has anybody heard of a HK-based company called Omni Productions ?

Yes I have heard about Omni Productions: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Omni_Productions

As I understand it Rik Thomas before founding Omni use to work for Ted Thomas and the dubbing company was known as Axis International. I'm not sure if Omni is the successor to Axis but it does seem like a lot of Ted's team and Vaughan Savidge's ended up at Omni, I'd guess this happened in the early-mid 1980s. I'm not sure if there still going but I think they were responsible for some of the relatively recent dubs for Media Asia/Fortune Star for example I believe they did the dub for Infernal Affairs and new dubs on classics that are found on the HKLs such as the new dubs for Wheels on Meals, Police Story, Warriors Two etc.

• Like 4

DragonClaws

Frontier Enterprises (フロンティア・エンタープライズ) was a Tokyo-based company dedicated to the dubbing of Japanese films and media for the English language. Frontier did jobs for Toho International, Toei Animation and Shochiku Company, dubbing their films into English for export.

Along with New York’s Titra Studios, Rome's Associated Recording Artists, and Hong Kong’s Axis and Omni Productions, Frontier was one of the early pioneers in English language dubbing.

Source- https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Frontier_Enterprises

• Like 4

DragonClaws

Read my lips: Dubbing in the 1980s—A Lost Art?

by Corinne Simon-Duneau

Have you ever seen one of those cheap Kung Fu movies dubbed in English where the actor has closed his mouth and the dialogue continues or his lips are still moving and you hear nothing? During all the years I was working at what they grandly but justifiably called “dialogue adaptation,” we all strove to never let that happen. Of course you couldn’t translate literally, otherwise the French version of the film would emulate that Kung Fu movie. Not doing one’s job properly could have some dire side effects,

Link- https://www.ata-divisions.org/AVD/deep-focus-3-read-my-lips-dubbing-in-the-1980s-a-lost-art/

• Like 4

Omni Dragon

I know the wiki/wika: dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Dubbing_Wikia has been mentioned before in this thread/topic, but still I think it's worth mentioning again:

https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Dubbing_Wikia

Welcome to the Dubbing Wikia

The wiki about English dubbing anyone can edit. The purpose of this wiki is to gather as much information about dubbing of productions into the English language, including movies, TV series, animes and various other productions.

Some good stuff on there like the table for the Police Story dubs for example:

https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Police_Story

299072137_dubbingfandomPolice_Story.png.b492cd9448a62bfb03ef9b9437d13936.png

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 4

Omni Dragon

https://men-behind-the-dubs.fandom.com/wiki/Men_Behind_The_Dubs_Wiki is another good wiki:

This wiki aims to collect as much information as possible on English dubs made for Asian movies or television series, including cast lists, background information and history. Please feel free to contribute.

Also with good pages, below is the In the Line of Duty 4 for example:

https://men-behind-the-dubs.fandom.com/wiki/In_the_Line_of_Duty_4

311824190_men-behind-the-dubsIn_the_Line_of_Duty_4.png.a4105058e83a01524e7ec1e72157187e.png

• Like 4

Omni Dragon
On 5/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, DragonClaws said:

In the thread/topic: 'Old School kung films with more than one English dub' (https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/8167-old-school-kung-films-with-more-than-one-english-dub/) @Killer Meteor mentions Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth:

Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth AKA Bruce Lee: True Story (1976)

1) Original HK based dub, seemingly not avaliable anywhere but...

2) It can be heard in the last reel of the US video edition of the US theatrical version for some reason! The remainder of the dubbing is by the New York based August films

3) Full US re-dub,, as heard on the UK videos and DVDs. However, it is censored by the BBFC to remove the nunchaku

Oddly, the US video has the original US theatrical title card but no credits. The UK video has no title card, beyond the (boo!) BBFC certificate, but has a full set of credits, including for the US dubbers!

Perhaps Joseph Ellison worked for August films. (In Ellison's IMDB biography (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0255208/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm) there's a lot of references to him being in New York.)

• Like 5

Omni Dragon

Larry Maurice Dolgin is a name that recently came to my attention because he's credited on Iron Angels for the English dialogue. 

Here's the IMDb and TMDB pages about Larry Dolgin:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0231001/

https://www.themoviedb.org/person/26761-larry-dolgin

A very good biography was posted to Thrilling forum (https://www.thrillingforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=693) by the user Johan Melle:

Larry Dolgin in La promessa (1979)

1316661392_Promessa-LarryDolgin1.jpg.ea64e3bb6bfcfab65259e9602752717f.jpg

A very handsome and good-looking actor with a squared jaw, chiselled features, bright white smile and a deep masculine voice, it's a bit of a mystery that Larry Dolgin never became a bigger star. He did appear in a fair share of movies, but mostly in small roles, and is primarily remembered not for his actual on-screen work, but rather for his vocal work, as he was one of the most prominent English-language dubbers working in Rome during the 1970s and 80s.

Trying to piece together biographical information on Larry has been quite difficult as there's very little available online. When I asked dubbing actor/director John Gayford, who was good friends with Larry, about him back in 2017, he seemed to recall that Larry was originally from Canada before later moving to California, but he couldn't swear to it.

His film debut appears to have been a small but pivotal role in Hot Rod Rumble (1957), a low-budget teen drama about drag racing that was shot at Hollywood Studios in two weeks. After that, Larry embarked on a music career, and during the late 1950s and early 1960s, he was second tenor in The Cables, a successful vocal and instrumental group based in San Francisco, California. In 1961, they released the songs "Choo-Choo" and "Midnight Roses" as a two-sided single on the RCA Victor label, and toured successfully for several years.

Larry eventually left The Cables to make it on his own, and in 1964, he served as emcee for an all-girl revue named Moulin Rouge. Then, at some point, he ended up in Rome, Italy - presumably in search of acting work. The earliest Italian films he's known to have appeared in are both from 1968: the western Black Jack and the crime movie Quella carogna dell'ispettore Sterling. In both movies he has fairly large, credited roles, but he didn't land any further significant on-screen roles after that. Instead, he seems to have shifted all of his efforts to working as a dubber on the English-language versions of Italian films - possibly because he found more steady work in that area, with native English speakers being in constant demand for dubbing jobs.

As a dubber, Larry lent his voice to countless Italian films dubbed in Rome, but he also worked steadily as a dubbing actor and director for film sales company Atlas International Film, which was based in Munich, Germany. Atlas dubbed and distributed films from all sorts of countries, including Spain, France, Germany, Greece, Brazil, Hong Kong and the Philippines, and Larry is credited with writing the English dialogue and directing the dubbing of numerous films distributed by Atlas. He still kept on working in Rome, however, so he must have commuted a lot between Rome and Munich, and John Gayford confirmed that Larry was indeed travelling a lot during those years. His deep, masculine voice should be instantly recognizable to most Euro-cult enthusiasts, and some of the many notable actors Larry dubbed into English include Tomas Milian, Giancarlo Giannini, Fabio Testi, Ray Lovelock, Gianni Garko, Antonio Sabato, Raimund Harmstorf, Philippe Leroy, Gabriel Pontello and Jackie Chan.

In the 1980s, Larry began to appear in more on-screen roles, primarily small roles in American productions shot in Rome, but he also had reasonably large roles in some Italian movies such as Ciao nemico and Caligola - La storia mai raccontata (both 1982), and had particularly substantial roles in TV mini series such as L'ombra nera del Vesuvio (1986) and Il principe del deserto (1991). Other roles, however, were typically small, and several were uncredited, too.

According to an interview dubbing actor/director Ted Rusoff in Video Watchdog #159 (November/December 2010), Larry came into a nice inheritance in the 1990s and retired to a villa in Sardinia. John Gayford gave me a similar account in 2017. He didn't mention an inheritance but told me Larry went off to Sardinia to retire together with his girlfriend, an English dancer/choreographer named Daphne. Indeed, Larry's final known film appearance was in Ancient Warriors, an American action movie shot on location in Sardinia in 2001. John Gayford was no longer in touch with Larry and did not know whether he was still alive or not.

Johan Melle also posted a filmography for Dolgin as well as a English-language dubbing filmography. These can be seen in full on Thrilling forum (https://www.thrillingforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=693) but below I'll quote the Asian movies from the English-language dubbing filmography:

19. The Dragon vs. Needles of Death (1976) - voice of Sammy (Chiu Jun)

36. Crocodile (1979) - voice of Dr. Tony Akom (Nard Poowanai)

39. Master With Cracked Fingers (1979) - voice of Jackie (Jackie Chan)

52. The Clones of Bruce Lee (1980) - voice of Bruce 2 (Bruce Le)

58. For Y'ur Height Only (1981) - voice of Mr. Kaiser (Rodolfo "Boy" Garcia)

65. Mad Mission (1982) - voice of King Kong (Samuel Hui)

• Like 5

Here's all of the (mostly newer) known dubs where Jack Murphy dubs Jackie Chan:

Thunderbolt (export dub) - It's hard to tell it's him in this because he seems to be disguising his accent.

The Young Master (Media Asia and Fortune Star dubs)
Dragon Lord (Media Asia dub)
Winners & Sinners (Media Asia dub)
My Lucky Stars (Media Asia dub)
Police Story (Media Asia dub)
Project A Part II (Media Asia dub)
Police Story 2 (Media Asia dub)
Miracles (Media Asia dub)
Crime Story (Media Asia dub)

Darren Pleavin seems to voice him in the Fortune Star dubs of Police Story and Police Story 2.

John Culkin also provides his voice in the export dubs of:

Fearless Hyena Part II
Fantasy Mission Force
Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars

Edited by Chorake
  • Like 4

Secret Executioner

Here's a recent video from YouTuber Phelan Porteous where he compares the 5 English dubs of the DBZ movie The Tree of Might AKA Super Battle in the World.

Interestingly, there's one that was made in Malaysia and that includes (sometimes very) goofy voices and dialogue becoming incomprehensible gibberish.

• Like 5

Thanks for that list and link @Chorake.

I don't think I've come across the names Darren Pleavin and Daniel Flynn in relation to dubs before. Could that be the same Daniel Flynn, as this actor: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0283428/?

I rather like Flynn's dubs of Chan, to me it makes him sound slightly tougher and maybe arrogant, especially when comparing the Cine Media and Dimension dubs of Police Story III.

On 9/26/2020 at 12:59 PM, Secret Executioner said:

Here's a recent video from YouTuber Phelan Porteous where he compares the 5 English dubs of the DBZ movie The Tree of Might AKA Super Battle in the World.

Wow, 5 English dubs. That's even more than Police Story as far as I know. Thanks for sharing that video @Secret Executioner.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

I don't think I've come across the names Darren Pleavin and Daniel Flynn in relation to dubs before. Could that be the same Daniel Flynn, as this actor: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0283428/?

Yeah, the very same. Daniel's consistently excellent take on Jackie is one of my favorites, second only to John Culkin.

Darren Pleavin has also appeared in some dubs for Animax Asia like their InuYasha dub:

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Darren-Pleavin/

Also, realized Jack Murphy is in the Wheels on Meals re-dub. He's doing more of an American accent in that, so it was harder to recognize him. Some old veterans like Pierre Tremblay, Simon Broad, and even Ted Thomas (the legend!) are in that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chorake said:

Yeah, the very same. Daniel's consistently excellent take on Jackie is one of my favorites, second only to John Culkin.

Interesting, growing up I would have seen Daniel Flynn doing on screen acting in episodes of The Bill.

1 hour ago, Chorake said:

Also, realized Jack Murphy is in the Wheels on Meals re-dub. He's doing more of an American accent in that, so it was harder to recognize him. Some old veterans like Pierre Tremblay, Simon Broad, and even Ted Thomas (the legend!) are in that.

I think I'm very much in a minority opinion here but for the most part the new Wheels on Meal dub is one of the few new dubs I actually prefer over the classic.

I know this is a big ask and I'm shooting in the dark, but I don't suppose you've come across any Shintaro Katsu era Zatoichi with English dubs?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Omni Dragon said:

I know this is a big ask and I'm shooting in the dark, but I don't suppose you've come across any Shintaro Katsu era Zatoichi with English dubs?

No, I have not, but they existed at some point (maybe some are out there in the nebulous pan-European PAL tape market?). Ted recalled dubbing them, and he did do other films for Daiei that still are around or known (three Gamera film dubs). Ted and co. also dubbed Magic Serpent/Grand Duel in Magic for Toei.

Generally harder to find info on dubbed Japanese properties because English materials don't take the same precedence there, obviously. I shudder to think of what happened to Daiei's English-language materials archive after the Kadokawa merger.

• Like 5

My post from the 11th May doesn't seem to be displaying correctly, however IIRC? It was an image of Barry Bakker, Hugh Chiverton, Liz Case and Warwick Evans in 1993 at Radio Television Hong Kong Studios.

140959548_BarryBakkerHughChivertonLizCaseandWarwickEvansin1993atRadioTelevisionHongKongStudios.png.9d2e8c14778e814e2427916de50285c9.png

• Like 5

Thats what you told us, because the people dubbing were from Chungking Mansion and places like that.

Right. Somehow, they didnt care. They didnt care about the story, only about the action. Most of the audience, they would concentrate only on the action, finding it tremendous. Because compared to Hollywood, it was completely different. Not now because John Woo and some HK action directors work there like Yuen Woo Ping. Doing Kill Bill, Hong Kong action.

Were they any professional English dubbing artists working in Hong Kong?

Actually, I trained an American guy to be the dubbing supervisor. I trained him to dub first and then he became supervisor. There was a lady also working as dubbing supervisor, she did good quality, for higher budgets like Cinema City, this kind. Professional dubbers are not more than 15 people. Most of them, they would work for radio or TV station. The dubbing, only amateurs, part time, because its hard to survive only on dubbing. But at that period of time, some of them became professional dubbers. Because, there was so many movies! So, they would quit their jobs to be dubbers. But, after that, when the market fell down, no more. Even the dubbing supervisor, named Scott, he went back to States. He cannot survive here anymore. Now, not many dubbers can be found. They are back to radio or TV station.

source- https://www.nanarland.com/interviews/entretiens/en/godfrey-ho.html

• Like 4

Thanks for that @DragonClaws. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the said 'lady' could be Annie Mathers and 'Scott' could be Scott Rodman Smith.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Thanks for that @DragonClaws. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the said 'lady' could be Annie Mathers and 'Scott' could be Scott Rodman Smith.

Have you watched Iron Fists & Kung Fu Kick's(2019)?, there's a fantastic section on the dubbing process.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Have you watched Iron Fists & Kung Fu Kick's(2019)?, there's a fantastic section on the dubbing process.

Yes (see page 2). I appreciate that you mentioned it just in case though.

• Like 4

CHASING KUNG FU DREAMS! Peter Boczar on Acting and Dubbing in Hong Kong! (Brett Homenick)

Link- https://vantagepointinterviews.com/2020/07/25/chasing-kung-fu-dreams-peter-boczar-on-acting-and-dubbing-in-hong-kong/

American Peter Boczar moved to Hong Kong in the 1970s with little more than dreams of kung fu stardom in his pocket. His journey through the entertainment industry in Hong Kong is a fascinating tale, featuring many household names that have dazzled movie audiences around the world for decades. In this July 2020 interview with Brett Homenick, Mr. Boczar recalls dubbing many classic kung fu actioners into English, as well as appearing in the “final” film of Bruce Lee, Game of Death (1978), among many other topics.

We did a number of the early Jackie Chan films, and the one that comes to mind is Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978) because I had a pretty significant part, playing a character that appeared through most of the movie.

• Like 4

Thank you for finding and posting a link to that interview @DragonClaws.

It's another interview that helps build up a picture of how dubbing was done in the Shaw Bros era. He also mentioned a few names that I'm not familiar with which is always good.

I wonder if the fighter pilot movie he was referring could be Zero Pilot (1976)?

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 4