Top Gun: Maverick (2021) - Tom Cruise, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris, Val Kilmer

AlbertV

Production begins today on Top Gun: Maverick, the long developed sequel to the classic 1986 Air Force hit film with Tom Cruise returning as Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, who is now a Top Gun instructor.  Joseph Kosinski is directing the film.

Cruise took to Twitter to officially announce the news:

topgun2.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

The Hollywood Reporter has indicated that the son of the ill-fated Goose (Anthony Edwards' character from the original) will be a key role in the sequel. Three are in contention for the role: Nicholas HoultGlen Powell, and Miles Teller. The final round of auditions took place this week in Florida and it will be one of these three.

• Like 2

Some updates:

Miles Teller has won the role of Goose's son and playing new pilots in the film are Glen Powell (who lost out to the role of Goose's son but the producers were impressed so they wrote a role just for him); Monica Barbaro, Jay Ellis, Manny Jacinto, and Danny Ramirez; Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris, and Jon Hamm, Thomasin McKenzie, Charles Parnell, and Bashir Salahuddin also appear in the film.

https://movieweb.com/top-gun-2-cast/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Holy shit, this has me feeling nostalgic. Dare I say I'm excited?

That makes two of us....I am feeling the need...the need for speed.

• Like 3

Saw this yesterday and thought it was fantastic,nostalgic but not too much and extremely well made.see this on the biggest screen you can find because the dog fights and aerial sequences are incredible.This is a must👍👍👍👍

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I saw this yesterday and it blew me away. Every single component of the film works: the relationship between characters, the plot, the nostalgia, the homages to the original and, of course, the action. Some of the set pieces in this film are the best I've seen in a long time. The fact they shot so much of this practically is awe inspiring.

Once again, Tom Cruise proves he is the king of the Hollywood blockbuster. He delivers on every level in Top Gun: Maverick. I highly recommend this to everyone and not just those that like the original.

Loved seeing Val Kilmer. I think they nailed his cameo.

• Like 3

Not a big aviation fan by a long shot but the chatter and mostly positive reviews had me intrigued enough to check this out.

I'm aware that for a lot of people who grew up with Top Gun this is probably a dream come true. To be honest I still haven't watched the '86 version to this day but after watching Maverick look forward on doing so.

Also I took this opportunity to finally experience a movie in Screen X. Maverick is the first movie to add almost one hour of additional imagery using the technology. You can probably guess which scenes benefited from that. It was pure joy to experience it!

I think special praise needs to go the actual pilots. What they display here is almost superhuman. Also huge shout out to the cast who had to undergo rigorous training for this role. I just admire and love this kind of commitment. Be sure to check out some behind the scenes videos on YouTube, great stuff! No surprise here since Tom Cruise has already made a name for himself when it comes to this.

On top of that let's not forget the camerawork. To capture everything and transcend it on to the screen for audiences to enjoy is definitely not to be underestimated. Generally the movie looks great and made for the big screen no doubt.

My only real complaint is the story and some (at least to me) unnecessary romantic subplot. I'm glad though they kept the general war rhetoric to a bare minimum. Heck they even didn't dare name their enemy although I'm sure it's pretty obvious who the baddies are.

One thing that bothered me from the get go is that the movie had to undergo changes to please its big (asian) brother. You guessed it China once again meddled in a Hollywood production. They had to remove and change some of the flag patches on Maverick's jacket. While this may seem trivial and a bit silly to complain about it's the general direction and signals this is sending I'm worried about. But I guess it's something we just have to live with now since China is probably one of the most important markets for Hollywood.

Aside from this the movie is popcorn entertainment par excellence! And the flight stunts really make up for an overly simplistic plot. Best enjoyed on the big screen and dare I say Screen X if you can justify the extra cost.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 7:17 AM, laagi said:

One thing that bothered me from the get go is that the movie had to undergo changes to please its big (asian) brother. You guessed it China once again meddled in a Hollywood production. They had to remove and change some of the flag patches on Maverick's jacket.

Are you sure? In which country did you see this film? I just watched it in IMAX here in Japan yesterday and the jacket is the same as in the original film, with Japanese and Taiwanese flags intact. They were missing in the trailer (which caused a fuzz back when it was released) so I was surprised to see the flags were indeed there in the actual film.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 3

Super Ninja

I wasn't exactly excited about Top Gun getting a sequel, especially after all these years, and had no plans of seeing it on the big screen really. Then it finally arrived in cinemas and I got a call from my best friend saying I must go see it. I'm pleased to say he was damn right.

Maverick is everything the original was, with an extra dimension that are its superb action sequences, here on entirely different level. You get patriotism, cockiness, cheese, nostalgia and that beloved 80's vibe, and it all works so well together here. From the moment I heard Take my breath away, I had a feeling I'm in for a good time. 

Tom Cruise just might be the last true Hollywood action icon, a star forged in the old school era that still shines strongly today. He can still keep up with the new blood and even dominate the screen. As for Jennifer Connelly.. my god, it's obvious that woman has aged, but she is still one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

As it's not enough you're witnessing what's perhaps the greatest feelgod cinema experience of the year, you're treated with what are perhaps the greatest fighter plane action scenes ever filmed. If you weren't on your toes when Maverick decided to go against the orders and prove the mission can be done, then you'll have your jaw on the floor by the time the finale takes place. The tension, the excitement and the level of skill here are truly overwhelming.  

The effect Maverick had on me is best described this way. When I walked out of the theater, I sat in my car, put on the original Top Gun soundtrack and went in dogfight mode on my way back home. There was a big, half full moon and I felt like I was in an 80s movie, laughing in excitment over the fact how life can be great and how little it takes. I don't know what makes me more happy, the fact that a movie can still do this to me today or that I can still act like a kid because of it.

• Like 4

@Super Ninja

It is called movie magic, this is why films exist. Film purists who dismis these kind of films have no clue what it takes to set free these kind of raw emotions after a movie.

I haven’t seen the film yet but I know for sure that I will have a big grin on my face after I have seen it. Old school action blockbusters do that for me.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Super Ninja
On 6/23/2022 at 2:08 PM, WangYu said:

@Super Ninja

It is called movie magic, this is why films exist. Film purists who dismis these kind of films have no clue what it takes to set free these kind of raw emotions after a movie.

I haven’t seen the film yet but I know for sure that I will have a big grin on my face after I have seen it. Old school action blockbusters do that for me.

Exactly! Magic is the word to describe it and it's been gone from Hollywood movies for a long, long time. I honestly feel sorry for people who cannot enjoy movies like these, they don't know what they're missing.

Based on your words, I'm sure you will buddy. Don't miss seeing it on the big screen! 

• Like 3

As someone who grow up watching 80s and 90s movies, all feedback so far makes me want to watch it now. Word is that it's even superior to the original.

• Like 2

Call me old fashioned but I am a simple man. At the end the macho/hero gets the girl and a kick ass song starts playing over the end credits.

I recently rewatched con air and that is how that film ends (well in this case a romantic song)and I love it for it. I had a superb time.

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 3

@Super Ninja Well summarised! Also fully agreed about Cruise. He's a creep in real life IMO, but on screen he's a Movie Star with capital M and S, maybe the last of his kind.

I've seen Maverick on IMAX screen twice now. The first 90 minutes is thoroughly enjoyable (I was almost embarrassed by how much fun I had) but my God, the last 30 minutes features the most exciting, best filmed action I've seen on screen since Death Proof's (2007) last 20 minutes. It's phenomenal. For once Hollywood is investing money in the right things, that is, doing things for "real" instead of endless CGI graphics.

I was also very happy to see Maverick improve over the first film on two vital areas: the action is far better filmed this time, and there is an actual (and very effective) men on a mission plot this time.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 6

The first film is just fun with a truckload of really cool shots and a superb soundtrack but the action is a bit boring repetitive and faceless enemies are never a good thing.

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

Super Ninja

Thanks @Takuma!

18 hours ago, Takuma said:

For once Hollywood is investing money in the right things, that is, doing things for "real" instead of endless CGI graphics.

I've talked about this with my friends. Could it be Hollywood finally realized that forcing all that CGI and green screen only results in a soulless movie? 

Time will tell, but I feel as if Hollywood is going through a smaller renaissance period of its own right now. Maverick is not the first movie that got the formula right. Fury Road was both a commercial success and was loved by the fans, and Miller did it how he believed it should be done.

The latest trend of returning to the 80s for inspiration might have something to do with it, not just movies like Maverick, but also indie series like Cobra Kai. In fact, indie productions are where Hollywood could turn to for advice, recent success of Everything Everywhere All at Once is enough of a reason already.

Whenever there's heart and passion poured into a project conceived and realized with sincerity, the result is both successful and recognized by the audience. Profit is not everything, we rush towards fast, cheap and fake, now I believe people have had enough and want real emotions, real action and true magic to return to cinema.

• Like 2

I heard the latest Jurassic World is also done with a lot of practical effects?

Too early to call it a renaissance though. Top Gun going this route doesn’t mean much since Tom Cruise is basically a stuntman, he wouldn’t have it any other way.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Top Gun Maverick (2022: Joseph Kosinski): this is a fun template nostalgic movie.  It is by far best viewed at the cinema.  It is a completely predictable Tom Cruise ego fest (like so many of Tom Cruise films – especially in the 1980s), but what a ride.  I like that feeling of tense suspense and a nervousness because of it (Or was that too much caffeine?).

Cruise’s character is a Maverick.  He doesn’t go up in rank or retire. Normally if you do not go up in rank after a few years you are supposed to retire.  He just wants to fly very, very fast.  In fact, he becomes the fastest man in the world while disobeying orders of head honcho Ed Harris.  He gets relegated, nope, he gets a lateral move where he has to train a bunch of Top Gun candidates to do a mission impossible.  This includes Miles Teller – the son of Goose whom the son feels is responsible (and something about him preventing him for a time to enter the flying program).  And just like in Whiplash he has to go faster and faster.  And just like the earlier Tom Cruise films this is a mentor film (like Days of Thunder or Cocktail) except the student is now the master.  He doesn’t want to be (being a Maverick, I miss Dirk Nowitzki), but he has to be to continue with the only life he knows.

This might be a small spoiler so skip: My goodness, this is basically a sports film where the head coach is asked to enter the game.

You might be wondering where Kelly McGillis is (unless you read the news).  But they opted for the younger Jennifer Connelly who is the perfunctory love interest (and yeah it is perfunctory here).  At first with the texts and the pictures of Val Kilmer I thought they were going to do a Game of Death Bruce Lee here, but he is in it – with a surprise, well not that much of a surprise.  Meg Ryan was also not asked back – though also had pictures interspersed throughout.

What is up with the John Cassavetes Faces extreme close-up shots for so much of the film?  I know Tom Cruise’s face better than my own now.  I wonder how much of it was CGId?  You can tell that Tony Scott was an influence to many of the directing choices though.

Film fans: if you want to see some insane flying sequences check out the silent Wings which was a Best Picture winner.

But the action scenes and the flying with it was intense at least in the theater.  The booming system certainly helped.  Did I lose hearing (I think Static-X did that)?  Tom Cruise’s career is certainly still going strong.  I saw the trailer for the next Mission Impossible (which will be a two-parter).

• Like 2