SB Screenings at Egyptian Theater, Hollywood (June 28 - 30)

Shaolin Patriot

Shaolin Patriot

For all LA fans, SB films are back on the big screen!  June 28 - 30 at the Egyptian Theater, Hollywood, as part of their World of Shaw Brothers theme.  All films are in Mandarin with English subtitles.

Thursday, June 28: Five Deadly Venoms / 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Friday, June 29: Black Magic 2 / Human Lanterns / Boxer's Omen

Saturday, June 30: Crippled Avengers / Masked Avengers

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/calendar_egyptian/2018-06 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

Venoms and 36 chamber, over and over. Better than nothing, but I'd rather see Fu Sheng and Ti Lung. The reality is those two were huge stars compared to the Venom's at the time. 

KenHashibe

I think I'm gonna be out of town that weekend. The Crippled Avengers/Masked Avengers would've been awesome! Enjoy, guys!

I recently received an e-mail from the American Cinematheque, with some info about this Shaw Bros film series.

Part of the info said that The Martial Arts History Museum will have free giveaways, at tonight's opening night double feature.

I will be there tonight, to see the Shaw Brothers double feature.

KenHashibe
On 6/28/2018 at 2:42 PM, wackiechan said:

I recently received an e-mail from the American Cinematheque, with some info about this Shaw Bros film series.

Part of the info said that The Martial Arts History Museum will have free giveaways, at tonight's opening night double feature.

I will be there tonight, to see the Shaw Brothers double feature.

I'm sad I wasn't able to make it. How was the screening?

Shaolin Patriot
On 7/2/2018 at 4:20 PM, KenHashibe said:

Some of the big highlights:  we had a surprise guest appearance on Thursday night by one of Lau Gar Leung's daughters!  Wackiechan, please post photos! 

Crippled Avengers was great (I believe a first time screening in LA).  Enthusiastic audience, with some first time Shaw viewers!

Even better - Lu Feng may be coming to the Egyptian next month.  The theater is also trying to obtain prints of his two favorite Venoms films - Magnificent Ruffians & Two Champions of Shaolin.  Check out the site for more details, as I'm sure they will be posted soon.

KenHashibe
1 hour ago, Shaolin Patriot said:

Some of the big highlights:  we had a surprise guest appearance on Thursday night by one of Lau Gar Leung's daughters!  Wackiechan, please post photos! 

Crippled Avengers was great (I believe a first time screening in LA).  Enthusiastic audience, with some first time Shaw viewers!

Even better - Lu Feng may be coming to the Egyptian next month.  The theater is also trying to obtain prints of his two favorite Venoms films - Magnificent Ruffians & Two Champions of Shaolin.  Check out the site for more details, as I'm sure they will be posted soon.

Thanks for the rundown! Sounds like you had a great time. I really wish I could've been there too.

Also that's excellent news! I'd love to have the chance to see Lu Feng and those films on the big screen. Those are actually two of the Venoms films that I haven't seen yet. I'll be checking their website for updates everyday! I hope to see this come to fruition!

On 7/2/2018 at 4:20 PM, KenHashibe said:

So I went to the Thu and Saturday screenings.  They were good overall.  "Five Venoms" wasn't quite as good as I thought it'd be, even though it seems to be such a famous Shaw Bros movie.  "Masked Avengers" was just okay.  I saw "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" already, back when it was shown at UCLA's Heroic Grace Series.  I liked "T36thCOS" better during this 2nd time of seeing it.

"Crippled Avengers" was the best of the four Shaw movies I saw, in this series.  Philip Kwok was incredibly good in his fight scenes.  I still remember when L.A.'s Z Channel(at around the mid '80s) showed the dubbed version of "C Avngs", called "Mortal Combat"(not the video game movie called "Mortal Kombat").  I think I still have a VHS VCR recording of that Z Channel version.

On the Thursday night double feature, there were a bunch of Shaw Bros trailers shown, before "Five Venoms".  One or two Wu Tang Clan rap videos were included also.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:49 PM, Shaolin Patriot said:

Yes, Jeanne Lau(daughter of Lau Kar Leung) was there.  She said she knows martial arts.  The photo below shows me(on the left, w/ the Batman t-shirt.  Too bad it wasn't one of my two Bruce Lee t-shirts) and her, from the screening.  She's a bit cute.  Sorry about the fuzziness of the photo.

Me and Jeanne Lau(Lau Kar Leung's Daughter)June 2018.jpg

Lu Feng was at last month's Dragonfest convention, in Burbank, CA.  He signed my HK imported DVD of "Five Venoms", which was already signed by former Shaw actor Lo Meng.  It'd be great if I can somehow have Philip Kwok's autograph on it also.

So I'd say I did have a good time at these screenings.  It was great to see you there, Shaolin Patriot, at the Saturday dbl feature.

I'm sorry for this late post.

Shaolin Patriot
On 9/12/2018 at 3:40 AM, wackiechan said:

Lu Feng was at last month's Dragonfest convention, in Burbank, CA.  He signed my HK imported DVD of "Five Venoms", which was already signed by former Shaw actor Lo Meng.  It'd be great if I can somehow have Philip Kwok's autograph on it also.

So I'd say I did have a good time at these screenings.  It was great to see you there, Shaolin Patriot, at the Saturday dbl feature.

I'm sorry for this late post.

Sorry I missed Lu Feng at Dragonfest and Jeanne Lau at the Egyptian.  Glad you had Lu Feng sign your DVD.  Nice seeing you as well! 

Archived