Recommendations (Help Needed)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Ok so today my other half came home from work, saying that there was a guy at work, who's just got into Martial Art films. Mentioned I was big fan etc, and so he's asked for some recommendations. He's got into the genre via the BL classics, and is looking for something similar and not too overly commercial. Now he lives in the U.K, and has access to NetFlix.  would be most grateful if people could recommend some titles, so I'm getting a variety of opinions, rather than just my own version of whats best to start with. The only other movie hes caught, was Jackie Chan's Tuxedo, which clearly didnt leave a very good impression, as you can imagine.

The first person I thought of recommending was Scott Adkins, would the ninja films be throwig some in at the deep end?. Bloosport would be a good place to start, and its similar to ETD in its tournament premise.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon

I don't think Netflix (for the UK) has a vast amount of martial art movies, "but still" at the moment it does have IP MAN 1,2 and 3 as well as IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT, both KILL BILLs, HEADSHOT, THE VILLAINESS, both CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGONS, THE FOREIGNER, DOUBLE IMPACT (btw I've not watched most of the movies I mentioned).

ShaOW!linDude
9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The first person I thought of recommending was Scott Adkins, would the ninja films be throwig some in at the deep end?. Bloosport would be a good place to start, and its similar to ETD in its tournament premise.

Turn him on to Adkins in both the Ninja moves and the Undisputed films.

And he needs some proper Jackie Chan like the first 2 Police Story films.

As far as Netflix goes, he can get a dose of Donnie Yen's Ip Man films.

Drunken Monk

Adkins is a great place to start ("Ninja 2" is a perfect introduction) but, when it comes to Jackie, I wouldn't immediately jump to his earlier stuff. I'd actually go more along the lines of "Supercop" and "Who Am I?" I think they're more accessible for a newcomer. 

Also, "The Raid" is a good choice. It's so simple and action-packed. I agree with the "Ip Man" films too.

I can't help you with Netflix as I know US and UK Netflix differ. So, I'm not sure exactly what's on UK Netflix. If it's on there, "Kung Fu Jungle" aka "Kung Fu Killer" is a good choice too.

DragonClaws
16 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Adkins is a great place to start ("Ninja 2" is a perfect introduction) but, when it comes to Jackie, I wouldn't immediately jump to his earlier stuff. I'd actually go more along the lines of "Supercop" and "Who Am I?" I think they're more accessible for a newcomer. 

I was fifty/fifty on recommending PS, not becuase its a bad movie, but raises the bar pretty high, for any of JC film he watches. Also the point you make about some of his 90's film being a bit more accecisble is very good.

Appreciate your feedback @Drunken Monk

9 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Turn him on to Adkins in both the Ninja moves and the Undisputed films. 

And he needs some proper Jackie Chan like the first 2 Police Story films.

As far as Netflix goes, he can get a dose of Donnie Yen's Ip Man films.

I'll have to lend him some Adkins flicks then, thanks for the input @ShaOW!linDude.

Thanks also goess to @Silver and Gold Dragon for your advice.

ShaOW!linDude
19 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I'll have to lend him some Adkins flicks then

Boyka is or was on Netflix here in the States. Might be in the UK, too. So was Close Range and Ninja 2: SOAT.

Omni Dragon
4 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I can't help you with Netflix as I know US and UK Netflix differ. So, I'm not sure exactly what's on UK Netflix. If it's on there, "Kung Fu Jungle" aka "Kung Fu Killer" is a good choice too. 

It use to be, but unfortunately it's currently not on there. 

Archived