Monstrum (2018) - New Korean Period Horror

whitesnake

whitesnake

Monstrum, aka Moolgwoe, is a new South Korean period horror movie "based on historical court documents that recorded wild rumors about a man-eating creature on the loose in Korea."  North American rights have already been sold to AMC Networks premium video service Shudder.  Set in 1527, the story follows Yoon Gyeom, a loyal subject of King Jung Jong of the Joseon dynasty, and his archer daughter, Myung, as they struggle to fight against a monster that threatens the king's life as well as a group of people trying to depose the king.  Director Huh Jong-ho, has previous directed Countdown and The Advocate: A Missing Body.  Cast includes Kim Myung-Min (Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead), Choi Woo-sik (Okja, Train to Busan), Kim In-kwon (The Divine Move), Lee Kyeong-yeong (Memories of the Sword), Park Hee-soon (The Fortress), and Hyeri Lee (a member of the K-pop group Girl's Day).  Monstrum will have its Korean theatrical release this fall.  News from http://variety.com/2018/film/asia/amc-shudder-picks-korean-creature-movie-monstrum-1202805428/   Monstrum was picked up by Finecut at the 2018 Berlin Film Market.  Finecut, located in South Korea, is a film company specializing in international sales and marketing, production, financing, and acquisition of high-end films.  

Monstrum Poster

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

This movie is on Shudder now. Has anyone seen it yet? I started watching it late last night, but had to stop to go to sleep. I'll probably finish it tonight.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

I've been out of the loop when it comes to asian horror in the past year. Just doesn't interest me as much. I like old skool slashers and giallo. I do have shudder so I'll give this a try. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/16/2020 at 2:50 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I've been out of the loop when it comes to asian horror in the past year. Just doesn't interest me as much.

I was more into this genre during my late teens, back when the original Ring film hit VHS. The last one I recall viewing was the Korean movie A Tale of Two Sisters(2003), which I rented with a group of fellow students. Everyone was on an Asian horror kick at the time. It might have been the really bad 2004 Hollywood - Grudge re-make, that might have put me off for good?. I caught that one on the big screen.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one recently. I'd say it's somewhat of a misdirect to call it a horror movie, it's more of a rollicking action adventure with liberal doses of comedy, palace intrigue, and CSI style investigation. Once I set my expectations for a pure popcorn flick, I found it to be surprisingly enjoyable. Check out my full review over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/monstrum-2018-review/

• Like 3