Princess Blade (2001)

Guest Chen Zhen

Guest Chen Zhen

is this movie any good?

ive heard a few mixed reactions to this film....apparently its a Lady Snowblood remake. I heard Donnie Yen's choreography is top notch as well.

How is it?

Guest kungfusamurai

I don't know about it being like Lady Snowblood - I thought the Angela Mao flick Broken Oath was more like Lady Snowblood than Princess Blade, but I digress.

The film isn't so hot. Perhaps I was was expecting a lot from it. The title character is heavily body doubled in every fight scene, so that's one let down. I didn't think the fights were all that great. And the story just goes nowhere, with a downer of an ending. I'd recommend renting it first, if you can, unless you find it for less than $5US.

KFS

Guest carlosbur

I bought this on DVD and I think its pretty decent myself.

The fight choreography is very well done courtesy of Donnie Yen,its got the right elements of a chambera flick, but with a nice futuristic twist.

Its probably not as good as Azumi, but more watchable than most of the dross Hollywood dishes up!

Then again, Im just a sucker for a sexy oriental babe wielding a samurai sword.

This one does seem to get mixed reviews, but I loved it. I don't know if any one element stands out, but to me it all worked together well. In some ways, it reminded me of the vibe of the original Mad Max, in that it's set in the future, but most of the action takes place in rural settings, and we just get hints of this weird Orwellian future by some of the radio broadcasts, and a few sci-fi shots---all very subtle and effective, IMO. I liked the look of the fight scenes---lots of slo-mo and regular speed, not much undercranking, and not very much wirework (and what they did have was tasteful). It is kind of a downer of a movie, and there are some slow dramatic stretches between fights---but these seemed to work better for me than for other reviewers--I did care about the characters and the story. If you're looking for a non-stop super fight-fest, you'd probably be disappointed, but it all fit together well for me, and I thought it was pretty unique and cool.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I thought Donnie's choreography in this was also top-notch. Although the movie itself is quite boring, The opening and end sequences are very good. If they woulda mixed in a few more actions scenes, and tightened the story up a little, it coulda been great. But in the end, I thought it was OK. Rent before you buy.

I don't know about it being like Lady Snowblood - I thought the Angela Mao flick Broken Oath was more like Lady Snowblood than Princess Blade, but I digress.

KFS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Blade

The Princess Blade (Shura Yukihime) is a 2001 Japanese action film directed by Shinsuke Sato. It is a reimagining of the manga Lady Snowblood by Kazuo Koike.

Hate to be so negative all the time, but I hate this one, too :tongue:

Boring flashy action, terrible storytelling, and, well, that's about it. Someone please buy my R4 dvd...:tongue:

Used to like Yumiko back when I was younger, though. She looks great in Kitamura's Sky High. Too bad that one sucks even worse. But she had some pretty decent Gojira flick I think...

ShaOW!linDude

I like this movie myself. Overall, I thought the story and acting was good. I like the look of the film; very stark.

Yumiko is cute but she's so diminutive I don't see how she wields a sword.

The fights aren't the worst I've ever seen. I think they could've been better but they work. I just think this is another example of where a competent female MA should've been cast. Yet there's something about it.........I find myself going back and watching it ever so often.

Why, as a matter of fact, this discussion is making me want to dig it out right now and do that very thing.

Why, as a matter of fact, this discussion is making me want to dig it out right now and do that very thing.

lol me too! i mean not this talking bout it , but for somereason i just started randomnly thinking bout it and looking up trailers, and ressurected this thread. lol

he he. me three- almost. its been on my rewatch list for some months now.

reason why i havent gotten around to it yet is cuz i know its a lackluster affair and there were better options.

PB aint bad, but there are shortcomings in pretty much every aspects that make a movie.

expect nothing going into the movie and u`ll get a watchable, somewhat diverting caper without any real strengths or highlights but enough entertainment value for it not to get a mention in the hall of shame of asian cinema. 4.5/10- a movie for asian action cinema completists. leave it alone and u`d have missed out on NOTHING

On 12/25/2011 at 2:36 AM, DiP said:

Film was pretty dull. Donnie's subpar choreography (even Blade 2's fast cut choreography was better) didn't help either.

Damn, did I really said that? I'm getting old... The action choreography is actually pretty good. On par with The Twins Effect and much better than Blade 2.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2