Judo or Jujitsu in Movies

Guest jayme

Hello,

I have recently started collecting Classic Kung Fu movies.

My Question: Are there any classics (or anything) that contain Judo or Jujitsu?

I was told that in the late 60's there was a judo expert acting in a few but haven't been able to track down the names.

Please help.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there's a couple oldies from the master himself, Kurosawa:

www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/sea...titles.htm

I have this version of the first one, Sanshiro Sugata. Excellent movie. Like most of Kurosawa's, it's more of a drama than a non-stop fight fest, but there are some great judo scenes. Unfortunately the DVD picture quality is quite poor, but I'm not aware of any other version out there with English subs. Hopefully Criterion will release a cleaned-up print of this great movie someday. I haven't seen part 2, so I can't comment on either the movie or the DVD.

Guest kungfusamurai

Wasn't there a Sonny Chiba movie called Judo For Life? I'd definitely love to see that. I don't know about any Jujitsu films.

KFS

Juso so you know I found to more Judo Movies

Judo Saga 1965 (Seichiro Uchikawa) AKA Sanshiro Sugata But with the english subs

AND

Judo Showdown 1966 (Masateru Nishiyaman) Unable to find but exists

Guest kungfusamurai
I can't find the chiba movie called Judo for life! anyone have information on how to get it?

I don't know where I heard it. Maybe I'm confusing it with Karate For Life. I can't find anything on it in IMDB or Yahoo. Forget it. I don't want to spread anymore crazy rumors! :)

KFS

Guest jirpy100

You might have thought of Gekitotsu! Aikidô (1975) ... aka The Defensive Power of Aikido, I also thought there was some Judo flick, but alas...There was definitely a remake of Akira's first Judo film.

Guest Chen Zhen

heroes of the east, starring gordon liu and directed by Lau Kar Leung features many japanese styles.

i think theres some brief scenes of judo, but the main focus is on japanese weapons vs, chines weapons.

Guest sakura2004

Since Judo was my first experience beginning at the age of eight (right through high school), I love Sanshiro Sugata and I can say this without reservation: DO NOT BUT THE MEI AH VERSION unless you are planning to watch without subs. The translations are so bad I just simply chucked mine in the trash.

I saw a rumour somewhere that there will be a new release by a more legit studio.

Guest Delightful Forest

In the sixties, Judo went Olympics and even 007 (James Bond) and 008 (Asian James Bond) knew Judo. Though I am unable to suggest anything off hand, I would imagine that given this fact there would be a bunch of judo movies from that era. However, you might be interested in a Judo movie titled "Throw Down" helmed by Hong Kong director Johnny To in 2004 as a tribute to Akira Kurosawa's Sanshiro Sugata. I have seen this movie, the plot was interesting, the cinematography was very good, the judo action was great, and I enjoyed it immensely. It starred Aaron Kwok and Leung Ka Fai.

Guest Jesse Smooth

There is JUDO FOR LIFE. The trailer is on CELLULOID FURY along with a trailer for KARATE Vs JUDO

Archived