Doubling Bruce...

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Quick question. And this might not generate much conversation. But, how often did Bruce use doubles, if at all? I know Yuen Wah did some acrobatics for him in "Enter the Dragon" but are there instances of Bruce being doubled in any other films?

DragonClaws
7 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Quick question. And this might not generate much conversation. But, how often did Bruce use doubles, if at all? I know Yuen Wah did some acrobatics for him in "Enter the Dragon" but are there instances of Bruce being doubled in any other films?

He was also doubled for the trampoline/acrobatic shots in Fist Of Fury, by Yuen Wah again. Such as the  leaps of Mr Suzukis desk in the final fight. I think the the 2nd instance of doubling takes place during the one on one dojo fight with Tien Feng. As far as I know, he wasnt doubled in WOTD or TBB. Odd that Lee would do his own stunts in TBB, maybe he thought he was capable of doing it then, depsite the back trouble.

Mr Wah also to be used as his double in GOD. There's at least one missing segment, from the Jabbar fight, where Yuen Wah would have been used. Wether or not the footage was filmed is another question. But it's certianly missing from the current pogoda footage, thats officially out there.

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

There wasn't any flipping involved in the Big Boss therefore Yuen Wah's services weren't needed.

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's Feng Yi he fights in Fist of Fury, not Tien Feng.

Thats right, he plays one of the high ranking members of Suzuki's school.

• Like 1

thehangman

Think alot of the reason was due to his severe back injury,why he didnt do the flips etc plus thats was Yuien wahs speciality

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if Bruce jumped over the high gate to gain entry to the boss's mansion at the end of Big Boss. As far as I know he had no experience in using trampolines and there would have been others on set far more capable of that stunt. I always find it odd that people think his back injury was the reason he didn't do flips, Bruce never trained in acrobatics so even without that problem he simply wouldn't have had the ability that Yuen Wah did.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

As far as I know he had no experience in using trampolines and there would have been others on set far more capable of that stunt.

There are shots of him using a trampoline pre-back injury, for workout's, some image s show him using one, while holding dumbless in his hands.

Limbering up with the aid of a trampoline.

9fe21952b4ac153018926fd7996121f5--brando

A few more shots from the same day.

Trampoline-exercises.jpg?fit=572,669

This shot was taken at the same time as the other trampoline pictures.

67a927e0cc71ec1c3d00ab24908672b1.jpg

Are these tables at the bottom of this image?.

d69302ac2b1492c6350b7b8c9ee4c2bd.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Yes i've seen those pics before in the Fighting Method books but what I mean is there is a big difference between recreational bouncing on a trampoline and in using one to jump over a high gate like in the movie. If you watch the shot there is a close up when he crouches at the start of the jump and then he is filmed from the back until he lands which suggests to me he is doubled (and quite rightly so). I'm a gymnast and I play around a little on trampolines and speaking from experience i'd say that's a tricky stunt and not one that Bruce or any other untrained person would attempt.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, andy338 said:

Yes i've seen those pics before in the Fighting Method books but what I mean is there is a big difference between recreational bouncing on a trampoline and in using one to jump over a high gate like in the movie.

Very good point, he was most likely doubled, I'm not even sure how they excuted the move with the double?. They didnt film the shot from a distance, and as you pointed out there was little camera trickery too.

Judging by the pictures of Lee on the trampoline, I'd say he was quite good at it. Sure he wouldnt have won any medals at gymnastics, but he'd clearly spent more than just a few hours using one.

• Like 1

I think the fact that nobody ever mentions it as an obvious use of a double is proof of what a great job they did, it's only really noticeable to fans that have seen the film 100s of times like us guys on here! I think they used mini tramps rather than a full size one like what Bruce was pictured on and to get the height to clear the gate from that would have taken some skill, also the landing was on grass so that would've been pretty hard on the joints and again not something that an unconditioned person would be used to. The Peking Opera guys (and girls) were all masters at that type of thing making it look effortless when in fact it's pretty dangerous, in fact it just occurred to me Lam Ching-Ying for example could've done it.

• Like 3

Phantom Dreamer

Bruce Lee sprained his ankle during a Big Boss fight scene. Maybe it's possible the injury occurred due to the use of a trampoline?

• Like 3

Cheer You On
On 5/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, DragonClaws said:

This shot was taken at the same time as the other trampoline pictures.

67a927e0cc71ec1c3d00ab24908672b1.jpg

Here is another shot from that shoot.

90413730-2747774852168339-47921349462002

• Like 4