Rambo 5: Last Blood - Sylvester Stallone, Paz Vega, Sergio Peris-Menchata, Yvette Monreal (2019)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Has Rambo got a cooking show?, somehow I dont think those knives at the back are for chopping fruit and vegetables.

51103862_2115726018515698_52526433051654

Rambo-5-4.jpg

rambo-v-2.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

https://action-flix.com/2019/07/30/rambo-last-blood-director-adrian-grunberg-brings-the-411-on-stallones-upcoming-last-installment/  - "Director Adrian Grunberg has graciously offered to shed some much needed light on [Rambo: Last Blood]... He also mentions that it will explore Rambo's PTSD from all the years of war and carnage that he has endured...   'And I have to say,' he added. 'I hope - on a personal and selfish level - this is the last one. There's a very poetic feeling to this movie.  If it is the last one, I think people will be thankful for it.' "

• Like 2

Source- https://stallonezone.com/wordpress/?cat=63

z072219rambolb_fanposter.png

EXCLUSIVE: Details About Rambo’s Journalist Partner Carmen Delgado In ‘Rambo 5: Last Blood’

Source- https://thegww.com/exclusive-details-about-rambos-journalist-partner-carmen-delgado-in-rambo-5-last-blood/

Carmen Delgado, a no-nonsense Latina ex-soldier turned journalist that inserts herself into Rambo’s rescue mission and has intimate knowledge of how the cartel works. The group is called El Corazón aka The Heart and kidnapped Carmen’s sister a year ago before the events of the film.

JESSICA-VARGAS_RAMBO-5_CARMEN_STALLONE_.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, DragonClaws said:

Bring it on.

Count me very, very excited for this! I cannot help but love the cathartic feeling of a simple revenge flick, seeing very bad people being taken down in different ways. Also can we appreciate the fact that for once here's a trailer that teases the film, only tells you what you need to know and doesn't spoil every damn plot point? Props to the studio for that!

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 2

Stallone plays tribute to Franco Columbo who got him back into shape for Rambo 2 and Rocky 2/3, after suffering a pectoral tear.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Rambo: Last Blood get's an 18 rating from the BBFC in the UK! I never thought that would happen and my excitement for the film just went up even more. Obviously the film still has to be well written, but the fact that they can pretty much get away with anything violence wise with this rating bodes very well. I was a tad worried that they might have toned it down in accordance with modern standards (Sly's own Expendables 3 for example...) so the fact that Sly is clearly sticking to the previous Rambo formula of extreme carnage is brilliant!

https://bbfc.co.uk/releases/rambo-last-blood-film    (Don't click on details tab unless you want spoilers about the specifics of some of the kills).

• Like 5

Just got done watching. It's a whole lot of brutal fun. Nothing new in terms of story etc. just your run-of-the-mill revenge story. But I really liked the performance of Stallone. Also it's a slow burner with some gruesome over the top kills towards the end. If you like old school action, I can highly recommend this :smile

• Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 12:37 PM, laagi said:

Just got done watching. It's a whole lot of brutal fun. Nothing new in terms of story etc. just your run-of-the-mill revenge story. But I really liked the performance of Stallone. Also it's a slow burner with some gruesome over the top kills towards the end. If you like old school action, I can highly recommend this :smile

I've not made the trip to the cinema for a few months now, this films gonna break that cycle. Might have to drag the old man along aswell, as he keeps asking when it's out.

Wanna see Arnie rib Stallone and do a Crocodile Dundee inpersonation?, then this is the video clip for you.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Saw this today, had an absolute blast. Old school in the best sense of the word, absolutely brutal, visceral violence. Stallone is his usual gruff, monosyllabic self, but his face says a thousand words, that face has lived and it shows. As for the plot, nothing new, though it was refreshing to have a story have some personal stakes for Rambo this time around. All I'll say about the third act is that it is full of very creative kills, the build up to which put a huge grin on my face, there is nothing better than an iconic action hero doing what he does best. I would even go so far as to say that I honestly enjoyed this film as a whole more than the last one.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Karlos said:

Have a feeling this will be a classic case of "proper" critics hating it and fans of the genre/franchise loving it.

To be honest that was my thought exactly after I've got done watching. And a short trip to the almighty internet should proof right. However there is a lot of potential material here to be discussed from the racial stereotypes to the use of (un)justified violence by any means necessary. I for one can just look at it as a form of entertainment which to be fair shouldn't be taken too serious. 

• Like 4

Off to see this today with my girlfriend, you know beuase it's just a great couples movie. 

@laagi, @Karlos, @saltysam you got even more hyped for this one. I'll be coming fo you guy's Rambo style if I walk out disapointed.

Target practice, will John Rambo be competing in the archery events in the next Olympic's?.

image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

• Administrator

Okay, I've been watching the life of John Rambo unfold on the silver screen since 1982 (Read the novel back then too- very different ending. Great read!), and the character and his adventures feel close to my heart. Stallone plays the character as closed off (and with good cause) from others, but at some point he always opens up and lets loose in each film, (especially the first) and there is a lump-in-your-throat moment when Rambo's raw soul is exposed. But here, I wasn't feeling any of the emotional beats. The horrible things that the villain's did certainly made me want them to pay, but I didn't get caught up in any of the "tearful" bits, and felt that the story-line was only there to get us to "the revenge". This kind of shocked me because Sly usually delivers in that department. I almost felt like he was playing a different character, and not the same John Rambo that we've come to know. That is, until he goes to war. The preparing to fight / ambush/ booby-trap montage is so over-the-top, and so long that it comes dangerously close to becoming a parody of itself, but then it keeps going until it feels serious again! I hate to admit it, but throughout this sequence I felt like a 12 year old kid inside, practically giddy with excitement for what was to come. "Make them pay Rambo!" And the film does not disappoint in that regard, becoming an incredibly visceral explosion of sheer carnage and extreme mayhem. Wow! I just watched the South Korean film THE OUTLAWS, and it featured a bit where the main character abuses someone's collarbone in a cringe-inducing manner. Low and behold, several days later and Rambo tops the collarbone abuse... big time! "Ya ya ya yaouchh!"

Just a heads up: I wouldn't say it's "an action film" for the most part though, because it is mainly a dark drama / thriller for acts one and two. So don't go into this one expecting the exciting sequences every 15 minutes- it's not that kind of movie. But in Act III when he finally unleashes his wrath... it's balls-to-the-wall! I like that Rambo uses a lot of his tactical training and fights smart instead of just hard. There are so many jaw-dropping bits throughout the siege that I can't wait to see again when I purchase the Blu-ray. But I'm glad I went to the theater to see this. Quite a ride.

One small complaint that I'll hide to avoid a minor spoiler...

Spoiler

Rambo uses a knotted rope (it may even have a weight on it) to train horses, and he's obviously skilled with it. It felt to me like perfect foreshadowing that he was going to use this later as a weapon to take some people out. But no, it never happened. 😕

I feel bad saying this, but all of Stallone's plastic surgeries are extremely distracting, especially in close-ups that fill the screen from his bottom lip to his incredibly unnatural-looking hairline. I truly wish the guy had just aged naturally and we could see his real face. And I do wonder if the surgeries/Botox and all have limited his facial movements so much that that's why I didn't feel his performance as much? On the other hand, knowing that he's 73 years old and still doing this kind of action, and in such incredible physical shape... pretty much mind-blowing.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Okay, I've been watching the life of John Rambo unfold on the silver screen since 1982 (Read the novel back then too- very different ending. Great read!), and the character and his adventures feel close to my heart. Stallone plays the character as closed off (and with good cause) from others, but at some point he always opens up and lets loose in each film, (especially the first) and there is a lump-in-your-throat moment when Rambo's raw soul is exposed. But here, I wasn't feeling any of the emotional beats. The horrible things that the villain's did certainly made me want them to pay, but I didn't get caught up in any of the "tearful" bits, and felt that the story-line was only there to get us to "the revenge".

Warning, spoiler ahead for those yet to watch the movie.

Hi @KUNG FU BOB great post,you pretty much captured how I felt about this one.

Before I go into a spoilery ramble, this is one to watch you if are a fan of the series. The collerbone bone tweaking, knife and tunnel traps based carnage earns the films its 18/R rating. This one is less gung ho then the last three installments. Hard to come up with some original and different in terms of the action set peices, but Stallone goes for a horror film vibe at times. You could just as easily see Leatherface or some character from a Rob Zombie movie living in those tunnel's. One to steer clear if you don't like action star's making movies over fifty. Though I dont imagine you would be reading this thread, if that was the case anyway.

With the latest installment it feel's his character is a frankenstien version of all the prevous interpretations of Rambo. The film's got increasingly bigger and louder, and so did the character. Here we see Rambo the later year's of his life, who just cant be man he once was. Yet you are still going to see glimpses of who he used to be. I got into these film's during my early teen's, borrowed a tape featuring all three films recorded from the T.V. Watched them all over one weekend and instantly became a big fan of the then trilogy. Never imagined or expected there to be further movies, it as seen as outdated and old at the time. Action cinema was moving away from the 1980's blueprint/image when I first saw the Rambo film's.

I liked the darker and more minemilistic approach though. Maybe there will be a a Director's Cut release on Blu-Ray at some-point?. Sure I've heard Stallone say there was a scene feautirng a flash flood. Where Rambo goes to help, and he then starts to suffer from PTSD during the rescue. It felt like there was some narrative or character development that was missing?. We needed more of Paz Vega's excellent journalist character.

20 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I feel bad saying this, but all of Stallone's plastic surgeries are extremely distracting, especially in close-ups that fill the screen from his bottom lip to his incredibly unnatural-looking hairline. I truly wish the guy had just aged naturally and we could see his real face. And I do wonder if the surgeries/Botox and all have limited his facial movements so much that that's why I didn't feel his performance as much? On the other hand, knowing that he's 73 years old and still doing this kind of action, and in such incredible physical shape... pretty much mind-blowing. 

It takes a lot of guts to put your face up on a big screen when your no longer in your prime. I think Stallone first had surgery way back in the 70's, to correct physical defects caused by his birth?. Without his devotion to weight training, he wouldn't be able to still play this kind of role. Though I like how they made Rambo more vulernerable, rather than this unstoppable one man army seen in Part 2's, 3 and 4. One of the reason they most likley went for the interesting tunnel angle. Wasnt his character supposed to be a Tunnel Rat in Vietnam?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2