DAIMAJIN SERIES

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

When I went to pick up my "Hanzo" boxset at Bestbuy, I ran acrossed this classic. I had seen the boxset years ago for $35 and had not heard much about it so passed it up. Never been a big fan of rubbersuit monster movies. But ADV had them seperate and remastered for $9.99ea. So I picked up and watched the first 20min of the first installment. And I was quite impressed with what I saw. Some nice visuals and Samurai action, and the plot seemed to be quite interesting as well. Alot more to this than I had assumed. Any comments or opinions on the series??

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I AM a big fan of the Japanese monster movies, but for some reason I had never heard of this series as a kid. I picked up the box set when ADV released it a few years ago, and was extremely impressed. I think they have a generally darker and less cheesy tone than your standard Godzilla movies---beautifully filmed, some nice samurai action, heavy mythic/religious/fantasy overtones, and a fantastic Ifukube musical score. If you like the first one, I think you'd probably like the other two---not much of a change in either tone or quality, IMO. Great movies.

Guest schleg64

From what I understand, when ADV released these films it was a 3 disc set ( a film on each disc along with trailers for the series and other ADV titles ) that was, although not incredibly cleaned up, in its original 2:35 widescreen aspect ratio. These new single releases are cleaned up - but they are not in the original widescreen format ( somewhere around 1:85 or 1:88 I believe - anamorphic widescreen to be exact ). Personally, I'll hold on to my original 3 disc set of these films. Those new separate releases don't sound like much of a bargain to me.

Archived