Interview with Tim Tackett (Video)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Tim Tackett interview pt 1. He talks about his martial art roots from Judo, to Chinese arts in Taiwan to the time he met Bruce Lee. Tim Tackett is a martial arts instructor and author from Redlands, California who runs a non-profit group The JKD Wednesday Night Group dedicated to preserving Bruce Lee's art of Jeet Kune Do.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws

In this article Sifu Tim Tackett discusses the JKD Wooden Dummy Set created by Sifu Dan Inosanto using Bruce Lee’s modified Wing Chun techniques and the boxing phase of JKD. Also, be sure to watch the  a rare historical clip of Sifu Tim Tackett demonstrating the Wing Chun Dummy Form… JKD Library

Link- http://jkdlibrary.com/jkd-wooden-dummy/290/

WingChunmeetsJKD-Tackett-1.jpg

Omni Dragon

I could be wrong but in those videos, the interviewer sounds like Andrew Staton to me.

DragonClaws
13 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I could be wrong but in those videos, the interviewer sounds like Andrew Staton to me.

I havent had the chance to watch the video yet, but it might be him. He's interviewed a lot of people connected to BL, over the years.

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Who's read this one?, and if so what are thoughts?

chinatown-jeet-kune-do-essential-element

I read it when it first came out. I wasn't impressed but then again apart  from a handful of JKD books I've not been impressed with any of them. 

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, fabhui said:

Pretty terrible. No wonder JKD is in the mess it's in.

It would be interesting to hear what the late BL would have said about todays JKD family tree. It is a tree, becuase their are so many branches of it now. Despite the fact BL himself closed down his school's, and started to re-evaluate his theories/approach to the whole JKD thing.

15 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It would be interesting to hear what the late BL would have said about todays JKD family tree. It is a tree, becuase their are so many branches of it now. Despite the fact BL himself closed down his school's, and started to re-evaluate his theories/approach to the whole JKD thing.

There are lots of schools calling what they do JKD but what they do bears no resemblance to Bruce's art, even when it comes to the very basic things and the basic principles they are way off.

The real reason Bruce closed down the schools was because hardly anyone was coming to train on a regular basis. I can't go into specifics but this comes direct from some of Bruce's own students.

DragonClaws
5 minutes ago, fabhui said:

The real reason Bruce closed down the schools was because hardly anyone was coming to train on a regular basis. I can't go into specifics but this comes direct from some of Bruce's own students.

I dont doubt that, but he was also changing his view point on creating JKD, and that he may have ended up creating. The very thing he wanted to avoid, which was a style and system.

Just now, DragonClaws said:

I dont doubt that, but he was also changing his view point on creating JKD, and that he may have ended up creating. The very thing he wanted to avoid, which was a style and system.

Bruce was completely obsessed with becoming the best (street) fighter on the planet. His art of JKD is based entirely around that, using the laws of physics and how to apply the human body in the most efficient way to achieve the goal of defeating an opponent.

If people followed Bruce's guidelines that he laid out for the art then people that do JKD would all be doing something that looked pretty similar. As it is the overall standard of JKD worldwide is absolutely appalling! 

Archived