IZO

Guest venoms5

Guest venoms5

I received this 2 disc set in the mail. I hear it's the bloodiest and most violent film Takashi Miike has done yet. Anyone else watched it? I'll look at it later this weekend.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ShaofuSage

I had an opportunity to purchase this film last week at one of my local vendors, but was skeptical cause I knew nothing about it and could not locate a solid review either. After you view this, please write a brief description and what you thought, hopefully someone will post soon with their opinion.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have the 2 disc version as well, but have only made it half way through IZO. It IS pretty bloody and has some of Miike's trademark gross out scenes (see jaded lover near pond scene). But I found very hard to follow and confusing, even for a Miike film! It jumps around between eras and characters without warning or explanation. I get that its kind of a political piece with heavy anti-war undertones. I held off watching the remainder until after I watched TENCHU. They are based on the same character, and IZO picks up almost immediately where TENCHU ends. I would recommend seeing TENCHU first, for some character background. Now that I have, I will try to finish it this weekend.

Guest venoms5

I've watched most of the film and it makes little sense. Apparently Izo is crucified for his murderous deeds and seeks vengeance as some kind of wandering spirit that hops in and out of the past and present at any given moment killing everyone that crosses his path whether they be women or children. Apparently from what I've put together from the film so far is that regardless of the time or place in history man as a civilized race is inherently violent and possesses the will to wage war or commit acts of violence and Izo is the catalyst of mans suppressed dark side. While there is an incredible amount of blood and violence in this film, it's difficult to recommend because of the confusing narrative but maybe after I've seen the rest of it, it will be made clear. The movie itself is 128 minutes long and basically it's literally non stop killing from beginning to end with only occasional dialog that's spoken in riddles. Since this is a Miike film some viewers may see a different take on this film as its true message is unclear at this point.

Archived