Who Else Cant Wait For IP MAN 6? (Misleading Sequels Thread)

Koravec

I never knew about Bullit to The Head(1990), being released as The Killer 2, in some markets. One hell of a film, but certainly no sequel to The Killer(1989).

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, DragonClaws said:

Project S(1993), also known under a 2nd, alternative mis-leading title, Police Story 4, for one of its U.K VHS releases.

784Supercop_2_front.jpg

Project S was also released as Supercop. Probably to make people think their buying: Police Story III - Super Cop? 

s-l500.jpg  51N2GNGWETL.jpg

• Like 3

Snaky Knight Fight Against Mantis was re-named Snake in the Eagle's Shadow 2 and while Jackie Chan is credited on the artwork, he's only in archival footage in the opening of the film.

51JNC6CAC5L._SY445_.jpg

The Damned was also known as Snake in the Eagle's Shadow 3 in some markets.

snake-in-the-eagles-shadow-part-3-29069l

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Project S was also released as Supercop. Probably to make people think their buying: Police Story III - Super Cop? 

Another a.k.a, thats three very different mislleading titles, just for the U.K budget re-issue's. Talk about confusing, how many new fans have ended up buying that title multiple times?.

Is this a direct sequel?, or is it just cashi in on the Black Mask name?, sure @One Armed Boxer reviewed this one a few years back?.

black-mask-3.jpg

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, DragonClaws said:

Is this a direct sequel?, or is it just cashi in on the Black Mask name?, sure @One Armed Boxer reviewed this one a few years back?.

Not me guv'nor, I think you may be thinking of the review I did for the unofficial sequel to 'Story of Ricky', called 'Super Powerful Man'.

As for 'Black Mask 3' though, it looks like that was the title for it in Mainland China, as it does have an entry in hkmdb under the title 'Shadow Mask'.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Not me guv'nor, I think you may be thinking of the review I did for the unofficial sequel to 'Story of Ricky', called 'Super Powerful Man'.

As for 'Black Mask 3' though, it looks like that was the title for it in Mainland China, as it does have an entry in hkmdb under the title 'Shadow Mask'.

I remember when the movie was first announced the Chinese title translated to "Legend of Black Mask", but it was eventually titled Shadow Mask. As @One Armed Boxer, it was called Black Mask 3 in Mainland China. Very cheesy film, but good fight scenes, especially a short duel between Louis Fan and the late Philip Ko.

MV5BNzhiYTg5ODQtNjZiZC00NWQ4LTllOWItNTNil_p1001819562.jpgfhiisFqDAsXJr497BRJVXjT97io.jpg51+kO8FmEGL._SY445_.jpg

(Yeah even with Return of the Black Mask....ummm a ninja? and Hiroyuki Nakano as director? Huh?!)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

there's always been such a history of martial arts cinema getting renames or sequelized depending on the country its being released in, the various No Retreat No Surrender movies that have little connection beyond Ng See-yuen as a Producer and Keith Strandberg as a writer.....in Germany, pretty much every other martial arts movie seemed to get the Karate Tiger heading to help sell it, with No Retreat Ni Surrender, Kickboxer, Best of the Best and so many others getting a KT sub heading....

Korea for instance renaming Bullet in the Head as the Killer 2 on some early promos, or Magnificent Warriors being YES MADAM 3, while Royal Warriors/Police Assassins is Yes Madam 2

I have to dig it out from the archives, but still love the Philippines promo for Gary Daniels CAPITAL PUNISHMENT< known in the Philippines as BLOODSPORT 2 which refered to Daniels as Bruce Lee's Brightest Disciple! Contemporary of Chuck Norris and the Man who Killed Jean-Claude Van Damme in the 1992 Bloodsport invitational

중화전사.jpg

중화전사16.jpg

중화전사2.jpg

예스마담.jpg

중화전사18.jpg

중화전사1.jpg

예스 마담14.jpg

예스 마담16.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Thats the one, which looks equally wacky and low budget, and also features Fan Siu Wong too?

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thats the one, which looks equally wacky and low budget, and also features Fan Siu Wong too?

Yep, he reprises his role as Ricky!

12 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

I have to dig it out from the archives, but still love the Philippines promo for Gary Daniels CAPITAL PUNISHMENT< known in the Philippines as BLOODSPORT 2 which refered to Daniels as Bruce Lee's Brightest Disciple! Contemporary of Chuck Norris and the Man who Killed Jean-Claude Van Damme in the 1992 Bloodsport invitational

You can't beat that!  I remember being in the Philippines in 2004, and almost every Asian action movie had been re-titled as a sequel to 'Ong Bak'.  I vividly recall Kane Kosugi's 'Muscle Heat' being titled 'Ong Bak 7'!

• Like 5

I love the Philippines promo...Outlaw Brothers was BOXER TERMINATOR directed by and starring Jackie Chan's brother, Frankie Chan, co-starring Cynthia Rothrocks rival Cyntia Luster (Yukari Oshima) and Van Damme's arch rival Jeff Falcon!

In China after the success of LORD OF THE RINGS...every single fantasy movie or series from Sword and the Sorceror to episodes of Xena were being marketed as Lord of the Rings sequels

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

A I right in thinking, these two flicks, have no connection o the Yasuaki Kurata, Simon Yam Bolo Yeung film, Bloodfight?.

bloodfight-2-the-death-cage-7518l.jpg

bloodfight.jpg

The first is of course, Death Cage, and the second film is actually Karate Wars.

bloodfight-4-dvd.jpg

Bloodfight 4 is actually Blood Ring with Dale "Apollo" Cook.

51OYq0ESTWL._SY445_.jpg

Bloodfight 5 is Raw Target

51bWXSgIT7L._SY445_.jpg

Bloodfight 6 is Blood Ring II

Here's an interesting one...in Spain, the Karate Warrior series is known as Karate Kimura. However, there is a mix up with two installments.

1.jpg

Karate Kimura 3 is actually not part of the KW series, but rather another Fabrizio de Angelis martial arts film, Karate Rock

29475995.jpg

Karate Kimura 4 is actually Karate Warrior 3. I know...very confusing.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Karate Kimura 4 is actually Karate Warrior 3. I know...very confusing.

Thanks for that @AlbertV, though I might be more confused now, than before I read your post lol.

16 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

I love the Philippines promo...Outlaw Brothers was BOXER TERMINATOR directed by and starring Jackie Chan's brother, Frankie Chan, co-starring Cynthia Rothrocks rival Cyntia Luster (Yukari Oshima) and Van Damme's arch rival Jeff Falcon!

16 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

You can't beat that!  I remember being in the Philippines in 2004, and almost every Asian action movie had been re-titled as a sequel to 'Ong Bak'.  I vividly recall Kane Kosugi's 'Muscle Heat' being titled 'Ong Bak 7'!

Thats some shameless promotion, but who wouldnt want to see a film featuring/dircted Jackie Chans brother, with Van Damme and Cynthia Rothrocks ach rivals? tacked on too.

• Like 1

This is a tough one, would fans see this as a sequel?, and if so, does that make Jackie Chans follow up the third movie?, or a spin-off?.

MV5BMjIyMDkxYjktNDQyZC00YjdlLWEzYjYtNDgy

• Like 3

To me personally Dance of the Drunk Mantis "feels" more like a direct sequel than Drunken Master II (1994) does. That said it seems like martial art movies have more sequels than most genres, but still, they seem less direct than most. 

In my opinion DOTDM is more similar in spirit to the original than DMII. With DOTDM being from the same era, it "feels" more like the original, it looks and sounds more like it. It also has more of the original cast and crew as well as being made by the same production company. It also has Beggar So/Sam Seed, the titular character of the English title (Drunken Master). I guess you could argue Wong Fei Hung becomes a  "Drunken Master" but I'm pretty sure it was referring to Beggar So.

As far as I can tell the Chinese titles more generally refer to Drunken Boxing or Fist styles. As far as I can tell Drunken Master (1978) 醉拳 roughly translates to Drunk Fist or Drunken Boxing, Drunken Master II (1994) 醉拳II is the same just with II and Dance of the Drunk Mantis 南北醉拳 roughly translates to North-South Drunk Fist or North and South Drunken Boxing (note translations are based on online computer translations).  

I'm not quite sure how and when DOTDM became referred to as Drunken Master, Part 2 the Chinese credits and posters I've seen just say (in English): 'DANCE OF THE DRUNK MANTIS'. It seems:  'DRUNKEN MASTER, PART 2' was added later for the international versions. I'm not sure if DOTDM was originally intended as a sequel or just something similar in spirit like a spin-off.

I'm not totally writing DM II off as the story does have Wong Fei Hung and Drunken Boxing.  

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, DragonClaws said:

This is a tough one, would fans see this as a sequel?, and if so, does that make Jackie Chans follow up the third movie?, or a spin-off?.

So...maybe my opinion is DOTDM is a spin-off but sometimes referred to as a sequel and DM IIs title suggests it's a sequel but it feels like a spin-off. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

So...maybe my opinion is DOTDM is a spin-off but sometimes referred to as a sequel and DM IIs title suggests it's a sequel but it feels like a spin-off. 

Great post @Silver and Gold Dragon, I rented Dance of The Drunken Mantis back in the late 90's, and despite its classic status, don't recall that much about it. Probably because I was expsed to a lot more movies per week in my teenage years.

9 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

In my opinion DOTDM is more similar in spirit to the original than DMII. With DOTDM being from the same era, it "feels" more like the original, it looks and sounds more like it. It also has more of the original cast and crew as well as being made by the same production company. It also has Beggar So/Sam Seed, the titular character of the English title (Drunken Master). I guess you could argue Wong Fei Hung becomes a  "Drunken Master" but I'm pretty sure it was referring to Beggar So.

Good point.

Surprised he never made a sequel to DM much sooner?, maybe Seasonal Films held all the rights?. Like you said, by the time the sequel came around, the whol feel of Hong Kong productions had changed, along with JC, who was now middle aged.

It would have been cool to see Chan as the old Master, putting some new talent through his paces. If Chan decided to make a Part 3, as unlikely as it is.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Surprised he never made a sequel to DM much sooner?, maybe Seasonal Films held all the rights?. Like you said, by the time the sequel came around, the whol feel of Hong Kong productions had changed, along with JC, who was now middle aged.

Well I guess it's because Chan was trying to become a filmmaker in his own right (by directing The Fearless Hyena, The Young Master and Dragon Lord) and make it big in the US industry (The Big Brawl, The Cannonball Run) and then contemporary action became the popular style (Winners & Sinners etc). The 1990s was the right time as the period setting was popular again and so was Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon a Time in China etc).   

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I'm not sure if DOTDM was originally intended as a sequel or just something similar in spirit like a spin-off.

After further consideration I'm going to say it probably was intended as a sequel. It does at least play like a direct sequel for the character of Beggar So/Sam Seed. 

• Like 3

On 12/9/2018 at 12:40 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

After further consideration I'm going to say it probably was intended as a sequel. It does at least play like a direct sequel for the character of Beggar So/Sam Seed.  

Interesting to hear your thoughts on th subject, how would you view this one?, having never viewed it, I dont know if it tries to follow Chan's sequel, or just trades of the Drunekn Master name?.

Drunken_Master_3_dvdcover_afilm.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Interesting to hear your thoughts on th subject, how would you view this one?, having never viewed it, I dont know if it tries to follow Chan's sequel, or just trades of the Drunekn Master name?. 

Sorry, but I've never seen it either. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

It doesn't follow DM2's story, but I think you could consider it 'official' given the title, and the fact that it shares cast and crew with DM2. 

As official as it could be considered, during that time period anyway. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

These could be confusing for those not in the know...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

I know The Story of Drunken Master was released by Xenon Entertainment as Drunken Fist Boxing, which had Jackie Chan artwork from DMII

514TKR4BK2L._SY445_.jpg

Drunken Master III was a jumbled mess that could have been so much better. On the upside, lead villain Giorgio Pasotti would go on to be a successful actor in his native Italy, which still holds today. It is known in the U.S. as Drunken Master Killer.

EastWest-FuryOfTheSilverFox-DrunkenMaste

• Like 4

On 12/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, DragonClaws said:

"Pops" and Jackie had a falling out during the production of DM 2 - creative differences.

As the story goes  "pops" made this "rushed" movie to "get back" at Jackie.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thekfc said:

"Pops" and Jackie had a falling out during the production of DM 2 - creative differences.

As the story goes  "pops" made this "rushed" movie to "get back" at Jackie.

Thanks for that, I had heard about the falling out, but I didnt know it was bad enough to cause LKL to make DM3.

If the pair had seen eye to eye, would the film have turned out better?.

• Like 1