Taiwanese Tear-Up's: Classic Kung Fu from Taiwan

DragonClaws

On 12/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, ShawAngela said:

I'm not sure to be in the right section, but here is a movie that looks worth hunting and watching.

The Dauntless Bumpkin, with Yu Tien Long.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=18540&display_set=eng

TheDauntlessBumpkin+1974-1-b.jpg

Looking at the actors involved in this movie and knowing Yu Tien Long, I wonder why this movie is mentioned on hkmdb and other sites as a comedy or a drama but not a martial arts or at least action movie.

The Chinese title is Pi Li Xiao Zi, and I found some akas : The thunderbolt boy, Pili Boy, and I even found a cover with the title Wonderful Mission, which lead me to think that it's really an action movie...

There is a Taiwanese series called Pili something and from what I understood, it's a kind of remake or retelling of the story of ATV's series Undercover Agents and Return of the Undercover Agents, and TVB took the same story to release The four, so, if the "Pili" in this 1974 movie is the same as in these series, there must be a story of undercover agent in this movie, and this picture clearly shows Yu Tien Lung in an army outfit...

The pictures in hkmdb come from Toby Russell (the last one on the right seems to be a mistake for me, since it shows other actors and mentions Lo Lieh in the cast...), so, I wonder if he has this movie...

It would be so great to be able to add it to my Yu Tien Long's collection...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The Chinese title is Pi Li Xiao Zi, and I found some akas : The thunderbolt boy, Pili Boy, and I even found a cover with the title Wonderful Mission, which lead me to think that it's really an action movie...

10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

there must be a story of undercover agent in this movie, and this picture clearly shows Yu Tien Lung in an army outfit...

It may be similar in style to A Gathering of Heroes(1973), which features a military themed story. With less focus on the Martial Art's fights.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It may be similar in style to A Gathering of Heroes(1973), which features a military themed story. With less focus on the Martial Art's fights.

With Yu Tien long involved in the movie,  I would be surprised if there were less martial arts than in any other movie, and very disappointed too if it was true...:bs_smile:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

With Yu Tien long involved in the movie,  I would be surprised if there were less martial arts than in any other movie, and very disappointed too if it was true.

I hope I'm wrong and that the movie is a fight fest, you've done some solid research on this title. Just viewed a small handful of his films, Infernal Street(1973), Five Kung Fu Daredevil Heroes(1977), Snake & Crane Secret(1978) & Ways of Kung Fu(1978). It was @DrNgor, who encouraged me to watch Infernal Street. Might have my old review of this saved somewhere.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I hope I'm wrong and that the movie is a fight fest, you've done some solid research on this title. Just viewed a small handful of his films, Infernal Street(1973), Five Kung Fu Daredevil Heroes(1977), Snake & Crane Secret(1978) & Ways of Kung Fu(1978). It was @DrNgor, who encouraged me to watch Infernal Street. Might have my old review of this saved somewhere.

If you haven't got Insanity Being From our friend @NoKUNGFUforYU,You should get it as soon as possible.

And You can find The Dragon Kid at our friend @karatemoviecom's site. I can't tell You anything else but GET THESE MOVIES AT ONCE !!😁

• Like 4

Recently viewed the 1980 Taiwanese production Master Killers, click on the link below for my thoughts on this one.

Below - Phillip Ko-Fei(centre), battles it out with Blacky Ko(far left) & Casanova Wong(far right).

MasterKillers.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Click on the link below fo my Mysterious Heroes(1977) themed ramblings.

Carter Wong(Centre) is ready for action, as Chu Tien-Lung, in a scene from the movie.

MysteriousHeroes.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

On 1/12/2020 at 8:39 AM, DrNgor said:

TheSamurai+1979-7-b.jpg

That's probably my favorite Taiwanese Wuxia film! The pacing was good, and I was kept in suspense till the end. I like how director Lee Chia has a montage of himself directing the cast in the opening. :D

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Click on the link below for my thoughts on Taiwanese production Sunset in The Forbidden City.

https://i.mydramalist.com/qg7pP_4f.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Does anyone know much about Taiwanese movie X -Mania (1972), directed by Ulysses Au-Yeung Jun?. Im not even sure it's a Martial Art's movie?.

Link- https://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=11113&display_set=eng

Huh...I can't even find so much as an image or poster of this film, even on Chinese-language websites.

Oh, and 痴痴的愛 translates as "Crazy Love."

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Huh...I can't even find so much as an image or poster of this film, even on Chinese-language websites.

I haven't been able to find anything online regarding this production.

If its actually a Martial Arts themed story. I'm going to take a guess and say Liang Hsiu-Shen is the hero, and Wang Yong is the main villain?. With Chiang Tao playing one of his lackeys. I wonder who else might be among the cast?.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nectarsis said:

I MUST find this...does ANYONE have a source for this?

17 hours ago, nectarsis said:

Another one I MUST find...again ANYONE have a source for this one?

Both are up on Cinemageddon. YOUNG FLYING HERO is a DVD-R, in Mandarin with no subtitles, 4:3 VHS rip quality. CHINESE MAGIC is an XViD avi file, 4:3 VHS rip in Mandarin with burned in English subs.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

37 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Both are up on Cinemageddon. YOUNG FLYING HERO is a DVD-R, in Mandarin with no subtitles, 4:3 VHS rip quality. CHINESE MAGIC is an XViD avi file, 4:3 VHS rip in Mandarin with burned in English subs.

And our friend Bigrogie has them.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 10/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, DragonClaws said:

I haven't been able to find anything online regarding this production.

If its actually a Martial Arts themed story. I'm going to take a guess and say Liang Hsiu-Shen is the hero, and Wang Yong is the main villain?. With Chiang Tao playing one of his lackeys. I wonder who else might be among the cast?.

I don't think this has received a physical release anywhere, so might be one of those that will always be a mystery to us Western fans. Our only hope is it airs on a VOD service or OTA terrestrial TV and someone records it.

• Like 3

Just now, Yihetuan said:

I don't think this has received a physical release anywhere, so might be one of those that will always be a mystery to us Western fans. Our only hope is it airs on a VOD service or OTA terrestrial TV and someone records it.

Thanks @Yihetuan, maybe one day it might re-surface again?.

• Like 2