Taiwanese Tear-Up's: Classic Kung Fu from Taiwan

DragonClaws

I would have needed an abacus to count the number of fights in this film. While the Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest were making loads of martial arts films in Hong Kong in the 1970's, Taiwan was doing so as well. But for the most part they were not nearly as well budgeted, consisted of basic kung-fu without a lot of fancy wire work or large sets and had very simple plots to hang a lot of action on. Back in the day of ratty stores selling dubbed kung-fu video tapes, they were filled with films from Taiwan with a few well-known stars showing up constantly. Because low-budget or not these Taiwanese films had a lot of talent from actors who had trained in various Peking Opera schools. Of course, most of these actors went back and forth between Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Source- http://asian-cinema.blogspot.com/2019/03/10-brothers-of-shaolin-1979-60.html

Chang Yi's silver haired screen villain fights the odd's in a scene from 10 Brothers from Shaolin(1979).

10brothersofshaolin.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Great work @DrNgor, really appreciate you taking the time to put the spotlight on Taiwanese movies Love & Sword and Lost Kung Fu Secret's.

Lost Kung Fu Secret's(1980)

LostKungFuSecrets.jpg

l1HWN6oxC9UjG4IwW5kxFj2rB7K.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Primitive cut & paste graphics, bold monochromatic colour tinting, and eclectic musical choices (almost invariably stolen from other sources ) all combined to give the opening title sequences of 1970s Hong Kong & Taiwanese low budget martial arts movies such a distinctive style.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 3:00 PM, DrNgor said:

I'm really badly skilled to quote images...

I love this poster, thanks for sharing !

• Like 2

DragonClaws

On 4/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, DrNgor said:

Great to see some more Taiwanese inspired write-up's from @DrNgor, I really appreciate you posting the links here too.

While this isnt strictly about Martial Art's movies, I thought this woud be the best place to post it?.

Loretta H. Yang was a household name in Taiwan in the 1970s as a result of her renowned acting career and winning of the Golden Horse Awards for best actress.

In 1987, Yang together with esteemed director Chang Yi, left the film industry to establish Liuligongfang - the first glass art studio in Asia. In using the term liuli, the ancient Chinese word for glass, the artists emphasize the connection to their cultural heritage and their passion for learning and experimentation.

Source- http://english.cctv.com/2016/10/29/VIDEGUYJJuEjzGTGsMyzAMu7161029.shtml

• Like 4

ShawAngela

Looking at this clip of The dragons executioner makes me furiously want to watch it...if I can find it ! This trailer doesn't ring a bell to me and I don't think that I have it in my collection.

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 3

What of the impact of Kung Fu on impressionable young minds? In Taiwan, considerable care has been taken to keep offensive materials off television. Swordsman and Kung Fu violence has been tempered. Whether made domestically or in Hongkong, the films exhibited in movie houses may be not glorify violence for violence's sake.

Origins of Kung Fu (1974 - Article)

Link- https://taiwantoday.tw/news.php?unit=12,20,29,33,35,45&post=23055

In December 1979, I found myself meeting with a film director named Ding Shan-xi. He had thick-rimmed glasses, combed-back hair and a stature that commanded respect. We were at an abandoned American military base in Taipei for my first audition for a kung fu film.

Film Fighting in Taiwan — a Full-Contact Introduction! (Dr Craig D. Reid)

Link- https://blackbeltmag.com/film-fighting-in-taiwan

• Like 4

In this movie, he pairs again with the actress Tso YenYung, who played with him in Dragon  kid.

I'm BADLY wanting to see this movie !!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm not sure to be in the right section, but here is a movie that looks worth hunting and watching.

Another title I'd never heard about, there's no Action Director credited on the HKMDB page. Anyone know who might have handled the action duties on this one?.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Another title I'd never heard about, there's no Action Director credited on the HKMDB page. Anyone know who might have handled the action duties on this one?.

Nothing on imdb, nor douban, not  few other sites in Chinese  I checked.

I really hope that this movie will come out one day...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I really hope that this movie will come out one day...

Here's another Taiwanese flick I'd like to see released at somepoint. I think this was Chen Kuen-Tai's first starring role too?, very limited details about this one.

Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9578&display_set=eng

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Here's another Taiwanese flick I'd like to see released at somepoint. I think this was Chen Kuen-Tai's first starring role too?, very limited details about this one.

Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9578&display_set=eng

Another one to hunt down !

I don't think that this was Chen Kuan Tai first role, since he appeared in 1971 in Sister Maria aka Maria, and in 1969 in To sisters who steal.

Ah, sorry, I hadn't read that you were talking about his first starring role. sorry.

• Like 2