Taiwanese Tear-Up's: Classic Kung Fu from Taiwan

DragonClaws

Dangerous Youth

危險的青春 | 1969 | Director: Xin Qi

Xin Qi was one of the most popular and innovative filmmakers of the Taiwanese-language cinema. Dangerous Youth is not only a poignant and critical work among his repertoire, but also an outstanding achievement of Taiwan cinema as a whole. The film critiques materialism and greed. It also subverts the conventional gender hierarchy. Made in 1969 when Taiwan was under authoritarian rule and films were subjected to heavy censorship, a work of original social commentary like Dangerous Youth is a rare find.

This movie would make for an interesting and contrasting double bill, with the recent Crazy Rich Asian(2018)

• Like 1

Focusing on the work of four contemporary filmmakers—Ang Lee, Edward Yang, Hou Hsiao-hsien, and Tsai Ming-liang—the authors explore how these filmmakers broke from tradition, creating a cinema that is both personal and insistent on examining Taiwan's complex history. Featuring stills, anecdotes, and close readings of films, the authors consider the influence of Hong Kong and martial arts films, directors' experiments with autobiography, the shifting fortunes of the Taiwanese film industry, and Taiwan cinema in the context of international cinema's aesthetics and business practices.

Link- https://cup.columbia.edu/book/taiwan-film-directors/9780231128995

9780231128995.jpg?w=350

• Like 2

Meng Fei doesnt appear to be too impressed with Carter Wong's shapes/techniques, in a scene from Super Kung Fu Fighter(1978).

Filmed in Taiwan, and directed by Sun Yung(The Unique Lama).

jlk71-J542HXD6HNP-Full-Image_GalleryBack

• Like 2

On 12/23/2018 at 9:11 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder if it's a TV production, it appears to be shot on video.

You are porbaly right @Killer Meteor.

I heard Hwang Jang Lee did some work on Taiwanese T.V, according to Roy Horan on the G.O.D 2 Audio Commentary. Yet, to find any pictures or footage from his T.V work there.

Edited by DragonClaws

On 12/16/2018 at 6:03 PM, DragonClaws said:

Can any Kung Fu Fandom fans, confirm if this is a Taiwanese, or Korean production?.

Since the original yellow credits are in Chinese and the subtitles an indication of the episode number are in Korean, it must be a Taiwanese production (and probably a tv series, since it's mentioned that it's episode 2, unless I'm mistaken) subbed in Korean, probably from a VHS source.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Since the original yellow credits are in Chinese and the subtitles an indication of the episode number are in Korean, it must be a Taiwanese production (and probably a tv series, since it's mentioned that it's episode 2, unless I'm mistaken) subbed in Korean, probably from a VHS source.

Much appreciated @ShawAngela, thanks for the reply/feedback.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Taiwanese tear up, under the direction of Jimmy Wang Yu, with classic cast of actors, this is my first ramble of the new year.

Click on the link below, for the full length ramble, thanks.

FourRealFriendsGermanVHS.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

1970'S urban Taiwan, is the setting for this all-action, head cracker, please click on the link below, for my complete Black Panther themed ramble, thank you.

Nancy Yen, shows Lung Fei and Shoa Mao a thing or two, about street fighting.

MV5BNmJmY2VjZGQtYTdlMS00OTRkLTgwYTktNGQy

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Here the latest and LAST, ramble, from my January 2019, Taiwanese Triple Bill, those Kung Fu Fandom readers who are interested in my thoughts, please click on the link below, thank you.

Wen Chiag-Long, fly's into action, as the fighting rickshaw man Kuen Lung.

Source, HKMDB, Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9820&display_set=eng

TriangularDuel+1972-50-b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

The picture of Wen Chiang-Lung performing the flying kick, in my last post above. Was clearly the inspiration for many other old school Kung Fu, promoitonal poster/art.

I've seen it used a number of times, here's just one example below. Maybe our resident movie poster/artwork expert, @ThunderScore  can help?.

@ThunderScore

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

It hasn't been very long between the restoration of the movie Storm over the Yang Tse River and its upload on youtube...

Here it is, for those who are interested in, Yang Kwan and Li Lihua starring in it.

• Like 2

Korean VHS tape of Miraculous Flower(1981) a.k.a Phoenix The Ninja, Taiwanese film directed by Fang Hao, starring Pearl Chang-Ling. I found this image on FlickR.Com, but I'm unable to post a link, you just end up with two of the same images, if I do.

Seoul Korean, Rare VHS Store, super scare Shaw Brother's title on Korean Labels, Kung Fu Kid's etc.

These chop-sockys were Shaw Brothers faves back in the day, but are now hard to find on any format. The VHS tapes in this store (cough, cough) are aimed at collectors and command some hefty prices. Some seriously rare stuff here, though... 😉

Seoul Korea rare VHS video store - super-scarce Shaw Brothers films on Korean labels "Miraculous Flower" and "Kung Fu Kids"

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Ace Martial Artist  Pearl Chang-Ling(Dark Lady of Kung Fu), play's a tougher than nail's investigator's daughter. In this scene from Taiwanese production, Fist of Shaolin(1973), choreogrpahed by Tai Wai-Wo(Game of Death 2). Here she single handly takes out some local thug's, in a brief fight.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Sweet looking kick from Alexander Lo Rei's brother, Tong Lung(Way of The Tiger), in a scene from the Growling Tiger(1974).

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @ShawAngela, have you managed to watch Fist of Shaolin yet?.

I haven't watched it as yet, and I don't even know if I have it among my many movies !!

But just from this clip, it looks great, and Pai Ying seems to be cool in this !!

• Like 2