Taiwanese Tear-Up's: Classic Kung Fu from Taiwan

DragonClaws

71glrsA8V8L._RI_.jpg

What are peoples thoughts on this H.K/Taiwaense co-production?, Shaolin Tough Kid a.k.a The Goose Boxer?

Here's yet another attempt to steal Seasonal Films late 70's box office success, with Drunken Master/Snake In The Eagles Shadow. With Charles Heung, replacing Jackie Chan, with his Kung foolery antics on-screen. The wacky and oddly insidious soundtrack, creeps into your brain, as it blares over the opening credits. I was evening humming the films score, while cleaning the dinner pots last night. If you have a big dislike of Comedy-Fu, then you might as well avoid this one, like bee sting to the eye. There's some really strong shapes on display here, but it's the comedy antics of the star, which take centre stage.

For the complete write-up, please click on the following link, Thanks.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Awesome flick. I saw it in Chinatown back when it came out in the early 70s. I remember I was eating a bag of fortune cookies and sitting on the can. My fortune said you are sitting on top of the world. Anyway I was big into chicks and the movies about a kicking technique to defeat the villain so I was in heaven. I only managed to catch a few of his movies but this one and tough Durl are both classics. 

• Like 1

Big into kicking and tae kwon do, not chicks. I think I still had my braces when this came out so the girl thing wasn't happening for me at that point. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Awesome flick. I saw it in Chinatown back when it came out in the early 70s. I remember I was eating a bag of fortune cookies and sitting on the can. My fortune said you are sitting on top of the world. Anyway I was big into chicks and the movies about a kicking technique to defeat the villain so I was in heaven. I only managed to catch a few of his movies but this one and tough Durl are both classics. 

Thanks for the feedback @NoKUNGFUforYU, need to get round to watching more Roc Tien movies. My first exposure to him was via the very cheap MillCreek 100 Movie Box-Set, which featured a few of his early films.

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

When it comes to films from Taiwan, we can't forget the legendary Alexander Lo Rei.

Good call @Drunken Monk.

Ninja The Final Duel(1986)

finalduel12.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for the feedback @NoKUNGFUforYU, need to get round to watching more Roc Tien movies. My first exposure to him was via the very cheap MillCreek 100 Movie Box-Set, which featured a few of his early films.

I think the 1st Roc Tien movie I watched was THE LEGEND OF BROKEN SWORD under the title DRESSED TO FIGHT. The 2nd was probably in the same or similar Mill Creek set.

• Like 2

TheKungFuRobber

I'm looking for a copy of My Life's on the Line (1978) in Mandarin, instead of the English dub. I like this film a lot but I'm not too keen on the dub, it's too silly for the type of movie it is. I don't really care if it is a VCD or a VHS at this point, as if needed I can dub the audio onto the remastered Eastern Heroes print which I have on DVD (with it's awful cover).

For anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I'd recommend it. It's got some stunning martial arts choreography and a remarkably unique storyline for a 70's kung fu flick, with the complexity of Man Li Pang's character Minute Fong being a centrepoint to the film, which I felt was very well played. It also has Beardy as the villian too. Only problem I had with the film other than the dub was the abrupt and unexplained ending. Watch it for yourself.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

The background seen here is also seen in several other Taiwanese movies. I wish to know what exactly this place is.

Me too, but I've no idea of the places name, maybe Toby Russel could answer this question?.

6 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

For anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I'd recommend it. It's got some stunning martial arts choreography and a remarkably unique storyline for a 70's kung fu flick, with the complexity of Man Li Pang's character Minute Fong being a centrepoint to the film, which I felt was very well played. It also has Beardy as the villian too. Only problem I had with the film other than the dub was the abrupt and unexplained ending. Watch it for yourself.

Agreed, great little Taiwanese indiependent flick, I think Yuen Biao plays one half of a tandem of killers?, some time since I watched this title.

• Like 2

Is this Gordon Liu clip from a Taiwanese T.V Series or Film?. Actor Barry Chan, gives the best fighting performance, Ive ever seen him do here.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

I WANT IT !!! I LOVE LILY LI !!!

That's so bad that we don't have the Chinese title in order to search on the internet !

Lily Li plays a kind of Na Cha with her rings weapons and Gordon Liu uses Monkey kung fu, if I'm not mistaken.

I first thought that it might have been the series New Seven swords of Xiluo or Shaolin disciple I didn't see Lily in the cast of any of these series...

I found another clip dedicated to Lily Li from the same series. A pure delight !

And still no Chinese nor English title of the series !! :monk_crying:

• Like 2

Ok, Lily Li plays in the series shaolin disciple with Gordon Liu but no Barry Chan :

It seems to me that the guy who fights with Lily Li is the same wearing red clothes who fights with Gordon Liu in your clip.

Barry Chan plays in New seven swords of Xiluo with Gordon Liu, but no Lily Li, and Barry's haircut in this series ins't the same as in your clip, so, it seems that it's none of these series and that you found a gem and a new series to hunt down with great actors !!

• Like 3

Great shapes from Barry Chan again :

And I think that I have found another clip again for the same series you showed : Barry Chan has the same haircut and Gordon Liu wears the same clothes. it's a clip from our firend rdenn, so, maybe he'll be able to tell us the name of the series :

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I WANT IT !!! I LOVE LILY LI !!!

That's so bad that we don't have the Chinese title in order to search on the internet !

24 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

It seems to me that the guy who fights with Lily Li is the same wearing red clothes who fights with Gordon Liu in your clip.

Barry Chan plays in New seven swords of Xiluo with Gordon Liu, but no Lily Li, and Barry's haircut in this series ins't the same as in your clip, so, it seems that it's none of these series and that you found a gem and a new series to hunt down with great actors !!

4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Great shapes from Barry Chan again :

Really appreciate your efforts @ShawAngela, someone else pointed this out in another thread recently, it's a shame many of these show's, never even got a bootleg release in the West.

• Like 2

TheKungFuRobber

Just a small thing I'm doing, because it kind of bugs me and I know this film is well liked here.

MY LIFE'S ON THE LINE (1978)

Eastern Heroes (VHS Transfer)

Line.jpg

Lineo1.jpg

Restored colours and burn removed.

rgerg.jpg

Lineo2.jpg

Italian DVD is FALSE WIDESCREEN. Double cropped 4:3 transfer with static noise layered over entire movie. Disgusting.

ITA DVD.jpg

My copy is much better. Just needs some sharpening and maybe some grain and it will be perfect.

UK DVD.jpg

I wish I had the movie in Mandarin. It was released on VHS in Taiwan, and is probably available on VCD there.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Just a small thing I'm doing, because it kind of bugs me and I know this film is well liked here.

You've done a solid job of restoring the picture quality @TheKungFuRobber, it's a vast improvment on the old Eastern Heroes DVD.

Can anyone remember if the EH release had this preview/trialer on it?.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:15 PM, DragonClaws said:

Is this Gordon Liu clip from a Taiwanese T.V Series or Film?. Actor Barry Chan, gives the best fighting performance, Ive ever seen him do here.

I asked on another forum specialized on wuxia and I finally got the titles of this series.

Chinese title 飛象過河

English title : Elephant flies over the river

The series is a 1986 CTS series.

Many thanks to yenchin from the other forum.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I asked on another forum specialized on wuxia and I finally got the titles of this series.

Chinese title 飛象過河

Thank you for posting this information @ShawAngela, and thanks to the people over at the other forum, who helped you out too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Chinese title 飛象過河

Thank you for posting this information @ShawAngela, and thanks to the people over at the other forum, who helped you out too.

This member also provided a link to a site where there are some pictures of the series.

Unfortunately, the text is all in Chinese, but if some members  are Chinese speakers here, maybe they will be kiind enough to translate for us...

https://blog.xuite.net/kgbz/twblog/120299801

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

This member also provided a link to a site where there are some pictures of the series.

Unfortunately, the text is all in Chinese, but if some members  are Chinese speakers here, maybe they will be kiind enough to translate for us...

https://blog.xuite.net/kgbz/twblog/120299801

Thanks again.

There's more chance of the sky turning green, than a remastered edtion of that series, coming out, well an official release at least.

• Like 1