Taiwanese Tear-Up's: Classic Kung Fu from Taiwan

DragonClaws

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

The Gangster Match-Maker(1975) starring Charles Heung(on the right), I'm not sure who man on the left is?.

They've given the hero the useal BL style hair cut, but I dont think this falls one in the Bruceploitation genre?.

jlk71-22Y0ZBK4NX8-Full-Image_GalleryBack

It must be Chang Pei Shan, though this forehead reminds me either of Chen Hung Lieh, or Yueh Hua, or Pai Piao or Tien Ching, but none of them plays in this movie and it seems to me that the only one who could have this forehead among the other actors of the movie is Chang Pei Shan, because this guy doesn't look like Ko fei...But maybe I'm mistaken...

• Like 3

DragonClaws
2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

It must be Chang Pei Shan, though this forehead reminds me either of Chen Hung Lieh, or Yueh Hua, or Pai Piao or Tien Ching, but none of them plays in this movie and it seems to me that the only one who could have this forehead among the other actors of the movie is Chang Pei Shan, because this guy doesn't look like Ko fei...But maybe I'm mistaken...

Appreciate the effort @ShawAngela.

I looked over the cast list at HKMDB, but I couldnt match anyone up to that image. It doesnt help that the villian has half of his face covered.

Here's the HKMDB page, Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10954&display_set=eng

• Like 2

Yes, it's from what I saw on hkmdb that I made this comment above.

I think that all you have to do in order to be sure is to get a copy and watch the movie...:bs_coveredlaugh:

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 6/2/2018 at 6:56 AM, DragonClaws said:

This movie always intrigues me!! Been meaning to follow trough but never gotten around to watch it. Now I will thanks to this thread, THANK YOU!!!!

• Like 2

Lizardlady

The posted photo for Gangster Matchmaker is kinda misleading as it is not a period piece.  It is set in modern day 1975 with Heung, Sun Yueh, & Lin Da as the main characters.  Heung & Sun are actors & there are several scenes of shooting them acting in movies, then the scene is over & they go back to their rather abnormal lives.  The photo must be from one of the movies they are shooting but I don't recall it.  It's on youtube if you want to check it out.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, Lizardlady said:

The posted photo for Gangster Matchmaker is kinda misleading as it is not a period piece.  It is set in modern day 1975 with Heung, Sun Yueh, & Lin Da as the main characters.  Heung & Sun are actors & there are several scenes of shooting them acting in movies, then the scene is over & they go back to their rather abnormal lives.  The photo must be from one of the movies they are shooting but I don't recall it.  It's on youtube if you want to check it out. 

Appreciate you pointing that out @Lizardlady , I was under the impression it was a period piece.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Here is a clip from an oddity from Taiwan. A remastered version of Dog King and Snake King. I have subbed and created a DVD, has a family of performers who use dogs and snakes to do tricks and sell medicine. Whackiness and kung fu ensues! 

• Like 3

DragonClaws

An earlier image I posted, for The Gangster's Matchmaker, that been cropped slightly different.

71YAChbY4GL._RI_.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Taiwanese/Hong Kong co-production, see's stoic Ma Tai-Yung(Jimmy Wang Yu) fight off the Japanese gangster's. Directed by the late Kim Lung(Boxer's of Loyalty & Righteousness), who sadly assed away on a few year's after making this picture.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, DragonClaws said:

Found out a little more about Witch with the Flying Head, it was given a release on the old Tai Seng VHS label. The released wasnt dubbed or subtitled, and is apparenty pretty rare.

I have the Tai Seng tape you're referring to (took a photo below). It's full screen, no subs but excellent quality.

There is also a rare subtitled print, also full screen but it's a poor print.

If you like the early 80s horror fantasy stuff to come out of Taiwan & HK, then you'll enjoy this one.

IMG_3626.JPG

• Like 3

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I like Taiwan movies a little more than Shaw Brothers because of the  lack of the cheesy sets Shaw's were apt to use. Of course in the early days that was all part of the charm. And of course a lot more of the great outdoors in the Taiwanese outings.

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 3

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, RedPhoenix said:

I have the Tai Seng tape you're referring to (took a photo below). It's full screen, no subs but excellent quality.

Thanks for that @RedPhoenix and wecome to the Kung Fu Fandom forums. Odd for a Western release to not be subbed or dubbed, though its not the first time I've read about this happening.

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for that @RedPhoenix and wecome to the Kung Fu Fandom forums. Odd for a Western release to not be subbed or dubbed, though its not the first time I've read about this happening.

Thanks for the welcome, DragonClaws :)

My take is that the bulk of the Tai Seng, Pan-Asia, Rainbow, World Video etc editions, although US releases, were predominantly aimed at the local Chinese markets at the time (in San Fran for example). There was probably an assumption that Western audiences would not be interested and therefore subbing some of these obscure films was not worth their time and effort. I have quite a few US tapes like Robotrix, Evil Karate, for example, that are raw with no subs - but offer great quality. I'm a sucker for old tapes and their artwork though, so my house is full of dusty old VHS!

• Like 5

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, RedPhoenix said:

My take is that the bulk of the Tai Seng, Pan-Asia, Rainbow, World Video etc editions, although US releases, were predominantly aimed at the local Chinese markets at the time (in San Fran for example). There was probably an assumption that Western audiences would not be interested and therefore subbing some of these obscure films was not worth their time and effort. I have quite a few US tapes like Robotrix, Evil Karate, for example, that are raw with no subs - but offer great quality. I'm a sucker for old tapes and their artwork though, so my house is full of dusty old VHS!

I see, appreciate you explaining that, my house would look like an episode of Hoarder's VHS edtion, if I'd not let a lot go. Which wasnt by choice, but for practical reasons.

Picked p a DVD copy of the Japanese movi Red Ninja, that was released here with no subbed or dubbed options, just the original language.

• Like 1

Deadly Strike & The Woman Avenger, qualify's as our Taiwanese tear-up, doube bill, Deadly Strike may be funded by a Hong Kong film company, but it was filmed entirely in Taiwan.

Those interested in my write-up's, Tap on the link's below, thank you

Images, from the HKMDB.Com

DeadlyStrike+1979-17-b.jpg

TheWomanAvenger+1980-25-b.jpg

• Like 4

Former Shaw Brothers sensation Chi Kuan Chun, went on to have a healthy independent movie career, in the late 70's. In 78/79 he appeared in over eight movies respectively. For, The Big Rascal, he also took on director's duties, and co-wrote the script with Leung Yat-Fei. It was also produced by his own movie company, Kuan Chun Film (H.K) Co., of which this, was there sole production. While the script and direction, are below average, the film still deliver's some first-rate action. I caught the cropped, English dub of this movie, which means some narrative footage, may have been cut from the run-time?. This was actor Chi Kuan-Chun only attempt at directing a movie, and for a first and only attempt, it’s not too bad. You can over-look and forgive some of the plot holes, some of which are bigger than a 747 air-plane hangar entrance.

Here's more Taiwanse related rambling's from me, you know the drill, click on the link below, for the full length write-up, thank you.

Ho(Chi Kuan Chung) busts out the counter strikes, in his fight with Wen Kui-Sheng's brother(Peng Kang)1655038c-12e2-1d8d-54ff-f0c16b9d4d9b._RI

• Like 3

Stumbled upon this Taiwanese movie poster, for the 1975 production, Kung Fu Gold.

The source didnt list any cast members, can anyone here revealmore about this?, and was 75, just the year it was released in the West?.

d2117cb4f1f26f857fa1b8f52437505a.jpg 

• Like 2

I take it knowone has any information about the above title?.

Here's one of my favorite Taiwanese actioners, featuring some of my favoite talents both on-camera and behind it.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2018 at 12:02 PM, DragonClaws said:

Stumbled upon this Taiwanese movie poster, for the 1975 production, Kung Fu Gold.

The source didnt list any cast members, can anyone here revealmore about this?, and was 75, just the year it was released in the West?.

I only found this under the title Kung Fu Gold :

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9118&display_set=eng

hkmdb says 1974 for the year, and hkcinemagic says 1977...

• Like 2

On 9/3/2018 at 9:23 PM, ShawAngela said:

:bs_coveredlaugh::monk_laughing:

Did you read the whole review?

On 9/3/2018 at 9:26 PM, ShawAngela said:

I only found this under the title Kung Fu Gold :

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9118&display_set=eng

hkmdb says 1974 for the year, and hkcinemagic says 1977...

Much appreciated, I must have been having a bad day, for some reason I was unable to locate it on the IMDB.

15 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I just read it, thanks for it ! 

I think most, if not all of his 1978/79 films, were made in Taiwan.