Shaw stars who never played in the same movie

ShawAngela

I noticed that some of our favorite Shaws' actors never played together in the same Shaws' movie (even as cameos) and I thought that it would be interesting to make a list.

Unless I'm mistaken, here are a few that come to my mind :

David Chiang and Cheng Pei Pei

Ti Lung and Cheng Pei Pei

David Chiang and Nancy Yen

Ti Lung and Nancy Yen

Pai Piao and Cheng Pei Pei

Pai Piao and Shih Szu

David Chiang and Chiao Chiao

TI Lung and Chiao Chiao

Liu Yung and Chiao Chiao

Liu Yung and Shih Szu

Lo Lieh and Chiao Chiao

Ku Feng and Shih Szu

David Chiang and Wong Yue

Do you have more ?

• Like 2

Tex Killer

Unless mistaken too, Liu Chia Hui and Wang Chung never appeared in same movie...

And if not missed something, took awfully long time before Lo Lieh and David Chiang appeared on screen same time. Do not remember if they had common scene in "murder plot"(1979) or not but at least in shaolin abbot year later they had...They were in Golden Swallow both but Chiand character got killed by Silver Roc in beginning of flick...

• Like 3

ShawAngela
Just now, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

They co-starred in Invincible Fist from 1969 as the two male leads.

Yes, they even played brothers, if I remember well.

• Like 4

AlexanderFu

Alexander Fu Sheng and Lo Lieh only had a minute or 2 in 2 scenes in Return of the Sentimental Swordsman.

It bums me out that they never got to do a proper movie together.

3 of my favorites - Alexander Fu Sheng, Lo Lieh and Ku Feng are only in that 1 movie

together also. Really wish Fu Sheng and lo Lieh Starred together, but Lo Lieh must have been free lancing through out much of Fu Sheng's time, at least until late 70's/early 80's when he came back to Shaw.

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

There were also a ton of non martial arts actors who worked at Shaw's that almost never crossed over into the action genre.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 9:20 PM, ShawAngela said:

Yes, they even played brothers, if I remember well.

I do think however they were "brothers", not relatives in movie. Superb movie, had completely forgotten Killer Constable borrows heavily from concept daughter of bandit leader is blind and hero stumbles into their house while crook is away.

• Like 1

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 7/25/2018 at 11:08 PM, AlexanderFu said:

Alexander Fu Sheng and Lo Lieh only had a minute or 2 in 2 scenes in Return of the Sentimental Swordsman.

It bums me out that they never got to do a proper movie together.

3 of my favorites - Alexander Fu Sheng, Lo Lieh and Ku Feng are only in that 1 movie

together also. Really wish Fu Sheng and lo Lieh Starred together, but Lo Lieh must have been free lancing through out much of Fu Sheng's time, at least until late 70's/early 80's when he came back to Shaw.

I just thought, how COOL it would have been if Lo Lieh played in AVENGING EAGLE! Not to replace any of the leads but as one of the eagles, and then enlarge his role some. 

• Like 5

They might not have shared scenes together if I remember correctly but David Chiang, Ti Lung and Chiao Chiao appeared in The Return of the One Armed Swordsman.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kwok Choi said:

They might not have shared scenes together if I remember correctly but David Chiang, Ti Lung and Chiao Chiao appeared in The Return of the One Armed Swordsman.

Oh, yes, you  are right !

And it's nice to see you again on the forum, it has been a long while since you last posted, if I'm not mistaken...

• Like 2

Hi ShawAngela. Yeah it has been quite a while thanks for the kind words. Once upon a time in the history of this forum we were always logged in for most parts or the day, almost second nature. I am very glad to see dedicated members,moderators and administrators keeping the spirit of the community alive and kicking.

I think it may be a good idea if you don't mind to also look into the issue of some actors/actress who crossed over, who kept crossing over between the two, and those who never crossed over between Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest as I consider these two companies to be two sides of the same coin.I also think Shaw Brothers should not have given up producing feature films in favour of TV at the time. I understand the business strategy but fans were really robbed in my opinion missing out on head to head releases between the two powerhouses with Jackie,Samo,Yuen Biao at their prime, and the Liu Chia Liang team, the Venoms team etc etc with a lot more pedigree left in store.

Edited by Kwok Choi
  • Like 2

I think it may be a good idea if you don't mind to also look into the issue of some actors/actress who crossed over, who kept crossing over between the two, and those who never crossed over between Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest

Just to be sure that I understood well : like Chang Yi and Liu Yung, for instance, who worked for both Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest ?

.I also think Shaw Brothers should not have given up producing feature films in favour of TV at the time

I totally agree, and it's more obvious that they shouldn't have done that when one knows that some movies are the complement to some series (like Heaven sword and Dragon sabre, of Holy flame of the martial world) or vice versa !

• Like 2

Quote: 

Just to be sure that I understood well : like Chang Yi and Liu Yung, for instance, who worked for both Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest ? ......

Yeah precisely!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Just to be sure that I understood well : like Chang Yi and Liu Yung, for instance, who worked for both Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest ?

Yeah absolutely!

• Like 2

Cheng Pei Pei and David Chiang shared screen time in Chang Cheh's Golden Swallow in the scene where Cheng Pei Pei visits a brothel posing as a man to find Wang Yu.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kwok Choi said:

Cheng Pei Pei and David Chiang shared screen time in Chang Cheh's Golden Swallow in the scene where Cheng Pei Pei visits a brothel posing as a man to find Wang Yu.

Oh ?!  I need to revisit this one to spot David Chiang, then, because I don't remember to have ever noticed him in this movie !

Thanks for the information  !

• Like 2