The Hidden Blade

Guest sakura2004

Guest sakura2004

Bummer! I waited too long and forgot Japan was 1 day ahead. Just ordered the Limited Ed. and it was listed at cdjapan as "Few Left in Supplier Stock". It was supposed to have been released only 24 hr. ago. I'm taking this as an indication that this is a popular film. When I was in Japan a year ago, even Zatoichi 2003 was still sold out just about everywhere I looked.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this might be a long shot but do you know any decent places to buy dvd's (english subbed) in tokyo? I'm going to be out there in the summer so it might be a good chance to pick up some good stuff. Though from what I understand they can be very expensive and things often arn't subbed.

Guest sakura2004

Tokyo is huge and interconnected with many adjacient cities. Any dept stores will have DVD sections, and there are the usual music and DVD shops here and there. Sorry I can't be more specific. FWIW, I just checked a handful of subtitled Japanese DVDs and could not find any indication in english that they were subbed.

P.S. If you have an interest in blades, be sure to visit the NBTHK Museum. They have a very impressive display, which always includes a few rated as national treasures. When I was there, they were displayed in chronological order which made for an ineresting study.

Guest sakura2004

Just read a couple of reviews. This looks like another winner from Yoji Yamada folks. The presence of the lovely Takako Matsu is definitely a big plus. Glad I chose the EMS option.

Guest Kortik

I;ll be in Tokyo on July 5 the best way is to get them form second hand stores they are cheap there but you know eventhought its a used store the quility of stuff there a superb just like new

otherwise try here:

you must read in Japanese and its a bit cheper that anywhere else plus they ship to japanese adress or maybe you can pick them up from there:

here:

www.dvd.netyokocho.jp/movie_tv/DA-620/

regular edition:

www.dvd.netyokocho.jp/movie_tv/DA-619/

Guest sakura2004

It arrived yesterday--EMS from cdjapan rocks. However, upon actually grasping the box firmly in my hands and with a quick view of its contents, I suddenly had some serious reservations. Needless to say Yoji Yamada's earlier film, "The Twilight Samurai" is ranked very near the top of my list. Before sitting down to view "The Hidden Blade", I basically removed all expectations in order to temper the excitment of anticipation.

Standing on it own, "Blade" is a good film. Although it is certainly worth viewing, coming on the heels of and riding the wave created by "Twilight" it is a bitter disappointment. The story, cast and, acting are not of the same caliber. The cinematography, while it has its moments, does not reach the heights seen in the earlier film. There are too many similarities in the storyline of both films. It seems strange that the main characters from both films both have a servant named Naota, played by the same actor, with the same half-witted nature. Not sure how much more I can say without revealing the details of this film.

Guest KClosson

That is the way I felt about this movie. When I originally read that Yoji Yamada was doing this movie I thought the story was too similar to his previous work. Upon viewing the movie it confirmed this and I was disappointed. If I had not seen Twilight then maybe I would have enjoyed this one more, but it seemed like everything down to the confrontation was a case of déjà vu for me.

KC

Guest sakura2004

Here are some similarities between the two movies.

-same time period

-same clan (Unasaka)

-many scenes filmed at precisely the same locations

-both protaganists unwillingly ordered to duel the clan's top swordsman

-both protaganists are top disciples of the same kenjutsu master (Toda)

-both protaganists have the exact same personal servant (Naota)

-both protaganists consumate in the end a long desired relationship with the female lead

-both protaganists are not strongly commited to maintaining their caste

There may be more going on than is apparent. From the booklet that came with "Twilight Samurai" it seem Yamada uses many of the same actors over and over in film after film. Are there cultural and stylistic considerations to be taken into account as well? Maybe he is trying to do something with the Unasaka clan?

It makes you wonder to what extent, if any, Yamada is exploiting the success of "Twlight". Perhaps some answers are revealed in the extras disc.

Archived