Could Donnie Yen beat Rhonda Rousey in a fight?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Do you think Donnie at any point in his life could defeat Rhonda in a MMA fight ir a real fight?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingofkungfu2002
8 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Do you think Donnie at any point in his life could defeat Rhonda in a MMA fight ir a real fight?

I think a lot of blokes on this forum could.

Iron_Leopard
16 minutes ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

I think a lot of blokes on this forum could.

But she said she could beat male MMA fighters. Doubt the average guy could beat her.

kingofkungfu2002
36 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

But she said she could beat male MMA fighters. Doubt the average guy could beat her.

I said at the beginning that she was overhyped, in a poor women's division. The moment she came up against a decent striker, she got her arse kicked...Twice!
Let's be honest, one decent punch off a guy & she'd be out.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Bruce Lee maybe, but Yen? C'mon.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I think Yen is a lot tougher than people give him credit for. He was very arrogant early in his career, and unlike Bruce Lee, it backfired. He spent a lot of years under Jet Li's shadow even though he can do Wu Shu just as well, and do modern style fighting(MMA) and Tae Kwon Do kicks to a much higher level. Donnie has therefore been much more modest about his fighting ability, but he has expanded his arsenal to include Judo and BJJ as well as being and avid fan of boxing punches. He's incredibly fast. But who knows?

Unless you are a hardened streetfighter (and fight at least several times a year in brawls, winning them) you probably have no idea how you would react to sudden violence. Read Meditations on Violence, it is an excellent book on the completely neglected psychology of self defense versus monkey dances vs dueling vs life and death encounters. Some people may be completely calm when they get hit, others will freeze in a real fight, or try to escape. Most styles don't prepare you for that, with the exception of Kickboxing, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling and Boxing. I like Bruce, but we have only a couple of clips of him doing some Ok kickboxing with STUDENTS that were not heavy duty fighters at a karate tournament. My understanding from reading what black belts at the time saw, they weren't impressed or anything. They did like the one inch punch, though. If he was a deadly streetfighter in the USA he would have an arrest record and possible lawsuits. That happens when someone takes a serious beating. I love his movies, but I have been lucky enough to train with some really high end kickboxers (Fairtex, Alex Gong, guys from K-1) and in my old age watch undefeated world champion Andre Ward ("Creed") train. Most people have no idea how top Kickboxers and Boxers train these days, but it is incredibly tough and you have to be genetically gifted. Some people just recover better from a volume of training then others. And it doesn't matter what your sifu, sensei, saubunim or guro tells you.

Could most MMA guys knock out Rousey NOW? Sure, she's been knocked out a couple of times. Her brain is concussed. What happens to fighters when the lose, especially after a bunch of early easy victories, is they can't recover. One of the reasons is that once you've been knocked out, you literally have had a screw loosened. Look at Chuck Liddell and others who were knocked out once, then knocked over and over. It's life. Prizefighting is tough. Rousey was a one trick pony, and when she was exposed she took too much damage to come back from. She's better off in the WWE and movies. A pro athlete's  life is a business. She is probably making a good living. If everyone wants to go "Durh! She can't fight!" because she finally got owned, please produce you Olympic Judo medals. That you earned living in your car while training. I am curious to see them.

I am saying all this, but that's it. This is a kung fu fandom forum, not Bullshido or Sherdog. We're here because we all like to like Martial Arts Fantasies (If you have videos of epic kung fu battles breaking out, please tell me) in the movies. Reality based combat should be in another forum. People's feelings will get hurt. Of course, some people need their feelings hurt first, instead of biting off more than you can chew, as countless traditional martial artists have been in the last 25 years, as McDojo met alive combat. Peace out!

Drunken Monk

If Rousey I’d given time to get back to her former self, no. Donnie couldn’t beat her.

Donnie has said himself that on screen fighting is massively different to real fighting. He doesn’t have any in-ring experience whatsoever. Sure, he could land a lucky punch and get the win. The unexpected could always happen. But let’s say 80 times out of 100 I give it to Rousey.

Yes. Yen was sent back to China after he dropped out of high school , joined a Chinatown gang and began brawling in Boston's Combat Zone (adult entertainment district). He apparently beat some punks for harassing his girlfriend at a HK nightclub as well.

Iron_Leopard
1 hour ago, HyperDrive said:

Yes. Yen was sent back to China after he dropped out of high school , joined a Chinatown gang and began brawling in Boston's Combat Zone (adult entertainment district). He apparently beat some punks for harassing his girlfriend at a HK nightclub as well.

I don't doubt that Donnie would wipe the floor with the average man. Maybe even 2 or 3 punks at a time like in that story. 

But real fighters like Rousey would be interesting.

Im weak at how many of us are Ronda haters here. Isnt she just a brutish b*tch who fights like an ape? Im probably wrong about that, but Id put my yen on Yen. Who I've heard has seen about every UFC match ever? (according to wikipedia I recall idk)

kingofkungfu2002

Like I said, Rousey was built up to be better than she actually was. She surrounded herself with a bunch of sycophants, who got the public (and Rousey) to believe that she was some kind of force of nature.
The fact is she beat a bunch of average fighters, until reality hit home (literally). Her stand up skills are appalling, she doesn't have knockout power & she can't take a hit...Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

Like I said, Rousey was built up to be better than she actually was. She surrounded herself with a bunch of sycophants, who got the public (and Rousey) to believe that she was some kind of force of nature.
The fact is she beat a bunch of average fighters, until reality hit home (literally). Her stand up skills are appalling, she doesn't have knockout power & she can't take a hit...Yeah, I'm not a fan.

You sound like Clubber Lang talking about Rocky in Rocky III lol 

Like Kingofkungfu said her stand up skills were shit but if she grabs you or takes you down I think your in a world of hurt 👍

Drunken Monk
5 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

A better question, could Ronda Rousey beat Cynthia Rothrock ?

I had to ponder Donnie versus Ronda for a few minutes. Ronda/Rothrock, not so much. Ronda would kill Rothrock, first round, Nay, first few seconds.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but if it were easy enough for a supremely talented female fighter to beat a decent male one, it would have happened by now. There was Lucia Rijker, who was an incredibly fit female boxer/kickboxer who was undefeated and quite famous at the time tried to box a mid level male Muay Thai fighter. She was extremely buffed and honestly, kind of masculine. I don't know if she dabbled in roids, but it would not surprise me. It's way more common then they let on.

kingofkungfu2002
10 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I had to ponder Donnie versus Ronda for a few minutes. Ronda/Rothrock, not so much. Ronda would kill Rothrock, first round, Nay, first few seconds.

I wouldn't be so sure, but hey-ho. One thing's for sure, Rothrock is by far the superior martial artist. She also has class, dignity & respect...Things that Rousey also sadly lacks.

Drunken Monk
3 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

Rothrock is by far the superior martial artist.

Bold statement. Rousey's an bronze medal winning Olympic judo competitor. I think she's a pretty solid martial artist. Especially competitive martial arts.

But let's face it, you're awfully biased.

kingofkungfu2002
14 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Bold statement. Rousey's an bronze medal winning Olympic judo competitor. I think she's a pretty solid martial artist. Especially competitive martial arts.

But let's face it, you're awfully biased.

Rothrock is a proven world class martial artist (and one of the most respected), trained in numerous styles, under numerous Grandmasters. It makes me laugh when people judge someone's fighting skill on whether they've competed in the UFC etc...A sport, which is bound by rules.

I'll tell you a story, when I was 17-18, I was bullied intensely by someone who was on the same training course as me. This guy was an amateur boxer, who'd won a bunch of fights, had numerous trophies & his dad was a well known boxing coach. Eventually it got to a point where I stood up to him, and offered to sort it out after work.
At that time, I had only been learning Freestyle Karate for about 6 months, and guess what...I put him on his arse in seconds.
So because you've fought in a ring, doesn't mean shit in real life. 

Drunken Monk

Personally, I didn't think that we were talking street fights. When the original poster said "real fight," I immediately jumped to assuming in-ring competition. Perhaps I'm wrong. Needless to say, I think Rousey would trounce Rothrock in a street fight too. Sure, there are no rules in a street fight, but Cynthia Rothrock is 61 years old and, for the most part, I think competitive fighters have the upper-hand in a street fight. Maybe that wasn't the case with your situation but I think 90% of the time it definitely is the case.

And this isn't me doubting Rothrock's martial arts prowess. Not at all. I believe she is incredibly talented and exceptionally skilled. At the end of the day, these "Who would win?" discussions are entirely subjective.

Real fights if you ask me is everywhere where anything goes. Pro fights to me are a bit limited due to rules and points even though the fights are still real. Real fights are 100% and not restricted to anything.

Back on topic, Donnie's experience in the ring is unknown (might have participated in the traditional point tournaments back in the day or done some full contact... Who knows) so I'd say he'd get beaten. Besides he's way too old to enter pro fighting now, in the late 80s and early 90s he could've done so since his foundation in MA speaks for itself. But street-wise, I have no doubt in my mind that he could/can handle himself very well against one or even several assailants as he had a rep back in Boston in his teen years plus that incident in HK in the late 90s. He also worked as a bouncer at one point in his life (https://www.jaynestars.com/news/how-donnie-yen-was-disciplined-by-his-mother-as-a-child/) and I've read stories of him keeping troublemakers away from his mom's wushu school.

Archived