Sword of Doom vs Satan's Sword

Guest ZAX203

Guest ZAX203

I'm looking at buying either Sword of Doom or Satan's Sword trilogy. Apparently they're based on the same story, but Sword of Doom ends in a Freeze frame while Satan's Sword tells the whole story,but then again its three movies.

I'm curious if anyone has seen both and if so if they could tell me wich is better.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KClosson

You need both. ;) You should probably get Sword of Doom first and see what you think. If you like the story then get Satan's Sword.

I used to have a website years ago just dedicated to the Daibosatsu Toge (The Great Bodhisattva Pass) story and movies since there is much going on with it and so many characters. Here is the way I kind of look at the different versions:

In Sword of Doom the director wanted to showcase the fighting of the main character. So, they really went all out filming the duels and choreography. Since it is filmed in black and white it has a real gloomy atmosphere. If you like good fight scenes this is the one for you.

Satan's Sword was partly directed by Kenji Misumi so it is the most "colorful" and "beautiful" of the bunch. I would say the fighting is "average", but your advantage is it is a more complete story. If you want more complete story then this is the one you get.

However, I must mention that another trilogy known as Souls in the Moonlight starring Chiezo Kataoka IMO tells the story the best of them all.

KC

Guest sakura2004

I liked both for different reasons. SOD has that young hottie from Red Beard, Yoko Naito. Ichikawa Raizo is a great actor but he handles the katana like a gurlie-maan.

Archived