Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly

Mike Leeder

Killa Scott

The book has quoted conversations between Bruce and other people, that fool wasn't there, yet these convos are written as if he was there next to them and wrote down what he heard. :laugh 

Edited by Killa Scott
spelling

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Killa Scott said:

The book has quoted conversations between Bruce and other people, that fool wasn't there, yet these convos are written as if he was there next to them and wrote down what he heard. :laugh 

I don't think I’ve ever heard Mattew Polly saying he was there when this all went down. Maybe that’s the writing style he wanted to use; you would have to ask the man himself. When I read his Bruce Lee bio I never got this impression. Of all the Bruce Lee biographies, I think Mattew Polly's was one of the easiest to read. I've found a lot of them a slog to get through and with very little in terms of genuine content. When it comes to writing about history, new things are always going to leak out after you’ve written your book or article.

• Like 3

Killa Scott

Here's an example from page 3 of this thread:

"Watch this, Bruce. Sucker will do a mean 180," McQueen announced as he geared it up, spun it around, and stopped the car. He looked over: "What do you think, Bruce?" But Lee wasn't in the seat. McQueen looked down and saw Lee huddled in the footwell with his hands over his head. "McQueen, you sonovabitch!" Lee shouted as he pulled himself back into the seat. "McQueen, I'll bloody kill you! I'll kill you, McQueen! I'm gonna kill you!"

Drunken Monk
5 minutes ago, Killa Scott said:

Here's an example from page 3 of this thread:

"Watch this, Bruce. Sucker will do a mean 180," McQueen announced as he geared it up, spun it around, and stopped the car. He looked over: "What do you think, Bruce?" But Lee wasn't in the seat. McQueen looked down and saw Lee huddled in the footwell with his hands over his head. "McQueen, you sonovabitch!" Lee shouted as he pulled himself back into the seat. "McQueen, I'll bloody kill you! I'll kill you, McQueen! I'm gonna kill you!"

Poetic license. I think it adds a distinctly interesting flavour to his book. It might not be one hundred percent fact, but they're probably based in real-life events. He's just adding a little razzmatazz. 

• Like 1