Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly

Mike Leeder

Mike Leeder

Just had the opportunity to read an advance copy of Matthew Polly's Bruce Lee: A Life, and its one of the best biographies I've read in a long time, and a very thorough and informative look at the man, the myth and the legend that is Bruce Lee, but from an unbiased point of view. Its not a Bruce Lee Estate publication, so it doesn't try to cover over anything or paint Bruce as a new wave guru while trying to promote tea, whisky or sell cars.

It talks about incidents and people (and often to those people) that have often been brushed under the carpet or rarely given a chance to speak, including Betty Ting Pei and does touch upon some things that may be new to some readers, and my be controversial and may divide some readers. I'm not gonna say too much, but would highly recommend it when its released shortly

I first became aware of Polly when i chanced upon a copy of his book American Shaolin which chronicles his experiences good and bad as a tall American student of the martial arts studying at the Shaolin Temple in China before many of the changes that have taken place over the last 25 years, I love Iron & Silk, but its a very romanticized take on things, while Polly tells it as it was and sometimes still is...and also enjoyed Polly's Tapped Out which saw him returning to the martial arts and taking up MMA. Had the pleasure of meeting him while he was researching the book in Hong Kong a few years back and really was impressed by his desire to present the truth, he's not trying to upset anyone, but he's not pulling any punches and i think the book will get a very interesting response 

https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Lee-Life-Matthew-Polly/dp/1501187627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520638471&sr=8-1&keywords=bruce+lee+life+matthew+polly

81QtA02v0HL.jpg

Edited by Mike Leeder
picture
  • Like 5

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Mike Leeder said:

Just had the opportunity to read an advance copy of Matthew Polly's Bruce Lee: A Life, and its one of the best biographies I've read in a long time, and a very thorough and informative look at the man, the myth and the legend that is Bruce Lee, but from an unbiased point of view. Its not a Bruce Lee Estate publication, so it doesn't try to cover over anything or paint Bruce as a new wave guru while trying to promote tea, whisky or sell cars.

I first read about this book on your Twitter page Mike, sounds like it's worth picking up. Which is something I've not said for a very long time, in regards to BL books/products. Read a lot biographies on the Little Dragon, but many of them are just more of the same.

• Like 2

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

Just the mere fact the Estate has nothing to do with this book already makes me want to check it out. Cheers for the heads up, Mike!

Still, I must ask, what are some interesting tidbits about the book would you be willing to share, without delving in too much?

• Like 3

Mike Leeder

the problem is i would reveal too much, as i said i think of myself as a quite well informed Bruce Lee fan and there's a lot of stuff in here thats new to me, and yes hearing from Betty Ting Pei ref the nature of their relationship is something that i think we've all known but she finally gets to speak about without the crimson letter being thrown at her

Its a very good read, and i am sure there will be some interesting responses and discussions about some of the stuff covered in the book, and probably from the Lee Estate just as they had issues with Birth of the Dragon and anything else not approved by them

• Like 5

DragonClaws
2 minutes ago, Mike Leeder said:

Its a very good read, and i am sure there will be some interesting responses and discussions about some of the stuff covered in the book, and probably from the Lee Estate just as they had issues with Birth of the Dragon and anything else not approved by them

Without going into detials, does he mention Lee's cortinsone use at all?.

Often wondered why knowone's bothered to track down the Dr's who were giving this to him. Though the more you think about it, the more you can see why they might not want to be associated with the subject now. Many thought it was hamrless to use at the time, but of course opinions and research have a change views a lot since the 1970's/60's.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

^^^^ Seconding what DragonClaws said. It's only a given that the book itself will go on to talk about Bruce Lee's health issues in a lot of detail.

Anything new about the Big Boss period? Fanboyism on my part aside, that's when Bruce's back problem started to get real bad, I believe.

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Fanboyism on my part aside, that's when Bruce's back problem started to get real bad, I believe.

It would have been a problem from the day he started the road to recovery, he simply over come this by his strength of will and strong character, and what the doctor was giving him for pain management.

Looks like I've found some of my 2018 summer reading, in the form of this book.

Edited by DragonClaws

I read American Shaolin by Matthew Polly a few years ago and it's a really interesting & entertaining book so I can't wait to get my hands on this. Didn't know about "Tapped Out" so I might have to pick that up too.

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
9 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

'Those abs - his muscles were so defined, it was as if they were chiseled. Bruce was the most incredible lover I've ever been with. He was just so knowledgeable about a woman's body'.

'Bruce took me to the moon and back. He just turned me inside out.'

Yeah, the tone of this book will be far different than anything we have read before, probably.

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

The article says Betty Tng Pei was his WOTD co-star, that never happened. I'm not doubting the facts in this book, but I also question them, with a simple mistake between Nora Miao and Betty Ting Pei.

As for the affiars, its well known, he also had an affair with the Asian actress Diana Chang-Chung-Wn, who he was hired to be a bodyguard for in the 60's.

Certainly gonna be picking this up, reading it as a whole, rather than just the sensational parts the media pick up on.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
15 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The article says Betty Tng Pei was his WOTD co-star, that never happened. I'm not doubting the facts in this book, but I also question them, with a simple mistake between Nora Miao and Betty Ting Pei.

As for the affiars, its well known, he also had an affair with the Asian actress Diana Chang-Chung-Wn, who he was hired to be a bodyguard for in the 60's.

Certainly gonna be picking this up, reading it as a whole, rather than just the sensational parts the media pick up on.

I think it was just a minor mistake on the article's part. Or did they mean to say that Betty Ting Pei was originally intended to star on the movie instead of Nora?

The affairs are an open secret, yes, but I suppose we didn't expect the Little Dragon to be this loose. It certainly doesn't help that Linda apparently did not bat an eye to any of this, and still went out of her way to paint this very unrealistic perfect image of her late husband. 

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
6 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I think it was just a minor mistake on the article's part. Or did they mean to say that Betty Ting Pei was originally intended to star on the movie instead of Nora?

The affairs are an open secret, yes, but I suppose we didn't expect the Little Dragon to be this loose. It certainly doesn't help that Linda apparently did not bat an eye to any of this, and still went out of her way to paint this very unrealistic perfect image of her late husband. 

The article states that Betty Ting Pei was replaced by another actress (Betty Chung) for the Mei Ling ETD role. Accurate? Who knows?

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
43 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Betty Ting Pei wasn't in WOTD obviously, but she was a common sight on set.

betty-ting-612bc4c2-2330-41e5-965a-d1c216f7845-resize-750.jpg

28c0906c30cb13a2c487fe97dc7376b3.jpg.bc62e8b728358c99c2c05efde6e70d1b.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws
6 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Betty Ting Pei wasn't in WOTD obviously, but she was a common sight on set.

She must have been a common site at Golden Harvest studios at the time, she was also present for filming of GOD and Fist Of Unicorn.

Never been able to make up my mind about her feelings for BL, did she really like him?, or was she apart of a much bigger picture?.

• Like 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

She must have been a common site at Golden Harvest studios at the time, she was also present for filming of GOD and Fist Of Unicorn.

Never been able to make up my mind about her feelings for BL, did she really like him?, or was she apart of a much bigger picture?.

Any possibility that Bruce and Betty knew each other long before 1972? I doubt the attraction started simply because of their work in the film industry.

I would say that, in her own twisted and unstable way, Betty did truly like him. I don't think there was a wide bigger picture conspiracy to take Bruce out. The Triads would've done it long before the fact if they really cared this much. With that said, I'm more interested in hearing more from Sharon Farrell and whoever else Bruce happened to be attracted with. 

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer

"I hope you all enjoy the book. I'm afraid the Daily Mail article makes it seem like a racy tell-all, when it's actually a pretty thoughtful celebration of Bruce's life. But I suppose I should have expected the British tabloids to take everything out context." - Matthew Polly

• Like 2

Mike Leeder

The Daily Mail making me proud to be a British writer, perhaps not...

The book is far more than a "look Bruce had a hot body and was a hit with all the ladies' tell all...

Yes, i am sure the Lee Estate will not be happy that it's not necessarily presenting the Bruce Lee image they wish to enforce, but the book looks at all of Bruce Lee's life and times, and shows the man not just the myth

• Like 5

Phantom Dreamer
20 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The Daily Mail is a revolting paper

It piqued interest though. 

Edited by Phantom Dreamer
  • Like 1