Tang Lung & Takuma Tsurugi

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

e98361000497b1ecb1da2abf353a127e--bruce-

With Sonny Chiba planning a film role opposite the late Bruce Lee back in 1973. This fictional fan poster is just another reminder of 'What If?'.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
22 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Kyokushin vs Jeet Kune Do! If only this happened

Knowing that the pair had plans to do a movie together, is just as intrigueing as the half finnished G.O.D movie project.

If Chiba appeared in a H.K production, we might have got to see Mr Lee appearing in a Japanese flick?. Imagine had he appeared in one of The Streetfighter movies?.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Knowing that the pair had plans to do a movie together, is just as intrigueing as the half finnished G.O.D movie project.

If Chiba appeared in a H.K production, we might have got to see Mr Lee appearing in a Japanese flick?. Imagine had he appeared in one of The Streetfighter movies?.

Sonny Chiba did end up making appearances on several H.K flicks later in his career. In particular much of Golgo 13 (1977) was set in Hong Kong. 

Lo Wei had originally wanted Bruce Lee to travel to Japan so that the latter could star in A Man Called Tiger (1973), but by then their relationship had already soured considerably so Lo Wei instead got Jimmy Wang Yu for lead role.

Now that you mention it, a potential appearance by Lee on a Street Fighter movie could've helped their careers go on different directions from what we've known.

I'm glad Bruce wasn't in A Man Called Tiger. I could only imagine the worst if that was the case. You could tell that in the 70s that Jimmy Wang Yu really didn't care unless it was his own movies. Chinese Boxer (which one could say it dated for its fighting) is on a whole different level, and even Bruce's Fist of Fury stole off of it. 

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
1 hour ago, Ah_Tao said:

I'm glad Bruce wasn't in A Man Called Tiger. I could only imagine the worst if that was the case. You could tell that in the 70s that Jimmy Wang Yu really didn't care unless it was his own movies. Chinese Boxer (which one could say it dated for its fighting) is on a whole different level, and even Bruce's Fist of Fury stole off of it. 

As someone unfamiliar with A Man Called Tiger other than the cast, what's so bad about the flick?

Phantom Dreamer
3 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

As someone unfamiliar with A Man Called Tiger other than the cast, what's so bad about the flick?

'A Man Called Tiger' English dub

DragonClaws

On 23/04/2018 at 9:12 PM, Ah_Tao said:

I'm glad Bruce wasn't in A Man Called Tiger. I could only imagine the worst if that was the case.

You dont know how his presence may have changed the final product?, not saying it would have been be a classic either way.

On 23/04/2018 at 8:16 PM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Now that you mention it, a potential appearance by Lee on a Street Fighter movie could've helped their careers go on different directions from what we've known.

Having Bruce Lee play an anti-hero type role, maybe a rival hitman to Tsrugi?, but they both have mutual respect for each other, and both want to out do each other, becuase of their big egos. I would even be down with him appearing in one of the Sister Street Fighter flicks.

Chiba touches briefly upon Bruce Lee, in this 2007 interview by Jonathan Ross.

Ross also asks the question, Why did Japan not make as many bare-handed Martial Arts films?, Chiba's reply is very interesting.

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

You dont know how his presence may have changed the final product?, not saying it would have been be a classic either way.

idk man. Now that I'm older and watch more Lo Wei movies, I kinda find The Big Boss to be quite strange. A Man Called Tiger is quite boring to me (do forgive me to those that enjoy the movie) but I'd rather watch a late 70s Bruce Li flick or Shaw Brothers if I had to choose. Even Lo Wei's Fist of Fury sequel was a bit of a lackluster for me. On the contrary, I do find Fist of Fury to be a masterpiece, taken that Bruce had a greater role in it. I think that if they wound up making more movies together Bruce would've been in prison by then lol.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Lo Wei's earlier stuff was decent. I think he just burned out and ran out of ideas. It happens. Shit, it happened to Spielberg for awhile, among others. Look at John Carpenter, he just stopped caring. Thankfully he quit. Don't get me wrong, if he made something like They Live, I would love to see it. On the other hand, if he's going to crank out Drag Me Too Hell, who cares?

Killer Meteor

Lo Wei did seem to suddenly loose all steam in 1973. That said, Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist are a nice return to form (unless Jackie called the shots?)

His Shaw wu xia are consistently entertaining.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
9 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

idk man. Now that I'm older and watch more Lo Wei movies, I kinda find The Big Boss to be quite strange. A Man Called Tiger is quite boring to me (do forgive me to those that enjoy the movie) but I'd rather watch a late 70s Bruce Li flick or Shaw Brothers if I had to choose. Even Lo Wei's Fist of Fury sequel was a bit of a lackluster for me. On the contrary, I do find Fist of Fury to be a masterpiece, taken that Bruce had a greater role in it. I think that if they wound up making more movies together Bruce would've been in prison by then lol.

Big Boss isn't exactly attributed exclusively to Lo Wei; he simply picked up the crumbs from the original director and tried his best to puzzle it into something functional. The same goes for FOF, if only because Bruce Lee was the de facto producer and Lo Wei just didn't care that much at all. Jackie Chan almost got into legal trouble due to Lo Wei's triad connections, so I have no problem believing the same would've been true to Lee (who as we already know wasn't exactly a triad darling to begin with).

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Lo Wei did seem to suddenly loose all steam in 1973. That said, Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist are a nice return to form (unless Jackie called the shots?)

His Shaw wu xia are consistently entertaining.

Lo Wei did definitely have a different image/direction for Jackie Chan, and likely would've shaped his career into something drastically different had Jackie not broken free. Both of Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist already had those comedic, mostly clean acts that Jackie is so well-known for, whereas in Shaolin Wooden Men he was very bleak and serious. 

I watched Death Valley not too long ago and found it very entertaining, and I look forward to seeing more of Lo Wei's Wuxia output, because he already knew by then what the audience actually wanted :tongueout

DragonClaws

Kenji Kazama (風間健) is a Japanese martial artist. He played the henchman Spider who fought Fred Williamson in the 1973 action film That Man Bolt and he played Yokohama a mean and brutal Japanese official who fought Jhoon Rhee in the 1973 martial arts classic When Taekwondo Strikes. In 1974 he played the part of Senkaku Kan in the Sonny Chiba cult classic The Street Fighter.

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Kazama

Kenji Kazama(left) & Sammo Hung in a a scene from When Taekwondo Strikes(1973).

vlcsnap-413037.png

Archived