Bhavesh Joshi: Superhero (2018)

DragonClaws

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Bollywood's answer to TMNT ally Casey Jones???? :P

You can still see a big Hong Kong movie influence on this Bollywood trailer, even though H.K cinema might not be in the best of shape at the moment.

His LED light headgear, reminded me the flick Robot Ninja.

• Like 1

whitesnake

The new Hindi-language movie, Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, opens in India on May 25th.  It's a "kind of Robin Hood/Kick-Ass styled vigilante film in which a team of anonymous do-gooders looking to expose the corruption on Mumbai's streets are taken to task by the people in power.  When Bhavesh Joshi takes a beating at the hands of these thugs, he comes back from it with a mission to protect the city and its inhabitants by any means necessary."  The movie is from Eros International, Phantom Films, and Reliance Entertainment.   

This is the fourth movie directed by Vikramaditya Motwane.  His previous movies were Udaan (a critically acclaimed coming of age drama, 2010), Lootera (big budget period romance, 2013), and Trapped (a survival drama, 2017).  The director says, "I've felt strongly about this movie for the last four years.  Our story looks at what triggered a boy's personal crusade against the system.  In Harshvardhan, I found an actor having no baggage - raw and real - someone who could easily take up the challenge of being a common man as well as a masked superhero.  He exhibits all the vulnerabilities of a common man - his anger, frustration, and quest for change."  Harshvardhan Kapoor has only appeared previously in one movie, Mirzya, which was unsuccessful.  He is already involved in a couple of film projects in pre-production, one being the Abhinav Bindra biopic (about the first Indian to win an individual gold medal at the Olympic Games.  (info from Wikipedia, screenanarchy.com, and timesofindia.indiatimes.com) 

• Like 3

So did anyone actually bother to watch this? I've never watched a Bollywood production in my entire life. The idea of constant dancing and singing seems to be stuck in my head. Yeah stereotype, I know. Sorry for that. I'm gonna give this a go... Looks pretty damn good to me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laagi said:

So did anyone actually bother to watch this? I've never watched a Bollywood production in my entire life. The idea of constant dancing and singing seems to be stuck in my head. Yeah stereotype, I know. Sorry for that. I'm gonna give this a go... Looks pretty damn good to me!

Well, to be fair while a majority of Bollywood films have the singing and dancing numbers, there are some exceptions to the rule. One would be the 2010 film Lahore, the politically charged loose remake of Best of the Best. No musical numbers in that one. Brothers, the Bollywood remake of Warrior, I don't think had musical numbers either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a pleasant surprise this superhero movie is! Largely also due to a an extremely likeable trio of lead characters.

Mind you this has a runtime of 150 minutes and for the most part I never felt bored. However, don't be expecting any non-stop action. The first half is mainly there to set up the story.

The second half does deliver the goods. Especially a ornate motorcycle chase is the highlight of the movie! It's too bad the finale can't up the game. Compared to the aformentioned it was a bit disappointing.

Also the enitre movie is very well shot. It's definitely made for the big screen. A real shame this apparently bombed at the local box office.

Last but not least a word about the soundtrack. For the most part it's spot on. With the exception of a elaborate music number seemingly out of nowhere. @AlbertV

Overall the movie really lives by its story about friendship, truth and justice. And it's also refreshing to see a relatable hero for once.

For myself who's still on the fence when it comes to Bollywood productions, this was overall a great viewing experience. Therefore I'll gladly give this a recommendation!

@One Armed Boxer Maybe another one to add to the neverending pile of pending reviews.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer Maybe another one to add to the neverending pile of pending reviews.

I'm not sure that will ever happen, I've only seen one Bollywood flick (this one), and that was quite enough to put me off from watching another one for the next 10 or so years.:tongueout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm not sure that will ever happen, I've only seen one Bollywood flick (this one), and that was quite enough to put me off from watching another one for the next 10 or so years.:tongueout

Oh yeah I remember. I was pretty sure you reviewed one Bollywood flick. Too bad it turned out to be a turkey! Not to mention it's a remake of one of my favourite korean movies The Man From Nowhere. Talk about adding insult to injury.

As I mentioned above I'm probably the last person to seek out any Bollywood production. However Bhavesh Joshi will probably be the only one (for the next 10 years :wink) and I'm glad I've enjoyed it this much!

Maybe you can use this movie as a remedy to Rocky Handsome. Who knows... afterall you might seek out another Bollywood flick.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:53 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I might actually watch that were it to pop up on Netflix at some point.

https://www.netflix.com/ch/title/80243541

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm not sure that will ever happen, I've only seen one Bollywood flick (this one), and that was quite enough to put me off from watching another one for the next 10 or so years.

I've caught a few Bollywood films on Channel 4, back in the day on late night U.K T.V. One featured a guy dressed us a white haired Kung Fu super villian, ala Carter Wong in Born Invincible. But for the life of me, I just cant recall the name of the movie. He even took out his opponents with fancy looking neck hold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought you guys might like this..................

(Note it's the Fake Taker who had a small run in the WWF in his feud with the real Taker)

Ugh I hate (a lot) of Indian movies.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

7 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Ugh I hate (a lot) of Indian movies.

I will take this as another opportunity to change anyone's mind and recommend them to watch 'Bhavesh Joshi Superhero'!

I'm also looking at you @One Armed Boxer :laluot_26:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 10/20/2023 at 5:45 AM, laagi said:

I'm also looking at you @One Armed Boxe

Not going to happen. To this day 'Rocky Handsome' and 'The Man Who Feels No Pain' remain the only 2 Bollywood movies I've seen (I failed to complete 'RRR', even though that one's technically Tollywood), and I remain in no rush to make it 3. :tongueout

• Haha 1

I'm going to have to check this out. I love seeing Superhero films from other counties. It allows me to experience fresh and unique takes on the genre. 

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 12/30/2023 at 5:14 AM, DarthKato said:

I'm going to have to check this out. I love seeing Superhero films from other counties. It allows me to experience fresh and unique takes on the genre. 

Not sure if you ever have visited Indonesia when looking for Superhero (or Superheroine) movies, but I found this one quite enjoyable (especially adjusting expectations to a very low budget)

Edited by Whoishe
  • Like 1

DarthKato
3 hours ago, Whoishe said:

Not sure if you ever have visited Indonesia when looking for Superhero (or Superheroine) movies, but I found this one quite enjoyable (especially adjusting expectations to a very low budget)

Looks awesome! Reminds me of Kick Ass, but with a Hit-Girl like character as the star. The bad guy also reminds me a little of Rendel from Rendel: Dark Vengeance. Thanks for telling me about it. I'll defiantly check it out. 

• Like 1