The Shaw Brothers Van & Other Related Randomness

DragonClaws

Sir Run Run Shaw, the Executive Chairman of Television Broadcasts Ltd (TVB), dots the eyes of a lion in an opening ceremony of TVB's new Studio Eight in Clearwater Bay. The studio is nearly 6,000 square feet and will be used mainly for the production of television drama series. It has a glass-wall alley, which enables visitors to see productions in the making. (Photo by Post Staff Photographer/South China Morning Post via Getty Images)

Source- https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/sir-run-run-shaw-the-executive-chairman-of-television-news-photo/1126797839

sir-run-run-shaw-the-executive-chairman-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

With thanks to https://closinglogogroup.fandom.com/wiki/Shaw_Brothers-Malay_Film_Productions_Ltd._(Malaysia)

1st Logo

(1950's)

Rtdace-0  

Logo: TBA

FX/SFX: The squares on the lights turning black and white, a la Sampaguita Pictures logo.

Music/Sounds: An triumphant military fanfare.

Availability: Seen on their films of the time.

Scare Factor: Low, while the logo happens to be straight to you, it's still a good one.

2nd Logo

(1950's)

Rtdace-1513901009  

TBA

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

Fail:Logo skrin MFP.jpg

Variant of the above Malay logo. Taken from the Malay Wiki page which lists 100 Malay Film Productions movie titles https://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malay_Film_Productions_Ltd

Google translation of the first paragraph: Malay Film Productions Ltd. (or MFP; also known as Jalan Ampas Studio) is a Singapore Malay film company and studio located on Jalan Ampas. Runme Shaw and Run Run Shaw have served as the main planners for the establishment of this studio. The company has produced 159 films from its inception until 1967.

• Like 3

This is an aluminium token believed to be belonged to Shaw Brothers (M) Sdn Bhd. It was collected by my Sifu Tan Tai Seng for me to do some research. He had confirmed with a formal staff of Shaw Brothers on the authenticity of this token but fail to find out the actual purpose of its usage.

Here, I am appealing  to you, if you have any slightest information on this token, please give your comments.

Errors+and+tokens+001.jpg

• Like 4

Secret Executioner
On 9/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, DragonClaws said:

The unplugged session's.

SBrandom2.jpg

Not sure who it is, but I love the way the guy in the back looks at Gordon. Like "damn his Guitar Fu is good." :bs_coveredlaugh:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Not sure who it is, but I love the way the guy in the back looks at Gordon. Like "damn his Guitar Fu is good." :bs_coveredlaugh:

That's Chu Te Hu who usually plays villians. Is that Martial Club?

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Note the red and yellow Shaw Borthers logo above the tricycles, image taken sometime in 1973.

34 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Charoen+Rat+Korat.jpg

Edited 31 minutes ago by DragonClaws

Well...I don't know to which movie refers the title The villain, but if it refers to the left poster, it seems to me that I recognize Chen Hung Lieh holding the girl's hand and this image is different of all the images I saw for the movie The villains, but maybe it's the Malaysian poster, and sometimes, not only are they beautiful, but also very different from the Chinese posters...It if is The villains, there should be at least a picture of Yueh Hua, Chin Feng and Shih Tsu, but I don't recognize her as the main woman showed on the poster...

Ah, yes, it's really the poster for The Villains ! I just found an image on hkmdb that looks a little bit like this one, and the woman in green looks like Pei Ti.

As I said, posters differ a lot according to which country shows them...

TheVillains+1973-3-b.jpg

• Like 5

Great picture @DragonClaws

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Well...I don't know to which movie refers the title The villain, but if it refers to the left poster, it seems to me that I recognize Chen Hung Lieh holding the girl's hand and this image is different of all the images I saw for the movie The villains, but maybe it's the Malaysian poster, and sometimes, not only are they beautiful, but also very different from the Chinese posters.

The poster on the right is for Adultery Chinese Style (1973). I see Betty Ting Pei but don't know who the guy is suppossed to be. Doesn't look like Lo Lieh or Alan Tang.

The poster on the left says "Little Adventurer". It is probably this 1973 Japanese film starring Chung Hua  https://www.filmaffinity.com/us/film308285.html

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I need to revisit The villains some day...Superb movie !

Great film, it's worth a revisit.

Edited by panku
  • Like 3

thanks @panku for identifying the poster on the very left, I hadn't been able to read the title and I didn't know that Tsung Hua had played in a Japanese movie...

Actually, the poster I called as " the poster on the left " was the poster in the middle, which is really the one for The villains.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

thanks @panku for identifying the poster on the very left, I hadn't been able to read the title and I didn't know that Tsung Hua had played in a Japanese movie...

Actually, the poster I called as " the poster on the left " was the poster in the middle, which is really the one for The villains.

There's too much of the poster on the far lft cut-off, for me to even guess what it is. You can spot some lobby cards on display, under the sign to the far right.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, panku said:

The poster on the right is for Adultery Chinese Style (1973). I see Betty Ting Pei but don't know who the guy is suppossed to be. Doesn't look like Lo Lieh or Alan Tang.

Maybe Chin Feng ? Oh, non, he wears a moustache in this movie.

Maybe Lui Kei or Wu Fung ?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

There's too much of the poster on the far lft cut-off, for me to even guess what it is. You can spot some lobby cards on display, under the sign to the far right.

Here is the English title blown up a bit:

litle adventurer.png

• Like 4

@panku & @ShawAngela can you I-D any of the posters adorned the cinema in this picture?. I can only make out the English title for The Fighter, the poster on the far right.

malaysia-malacca-capitol01.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

It seems to me that I see the title " Chinese ghost story 3 " on the one in the middle.

The one on the left looks familiar to me, but I can't name it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

@panku & @ShawAngela can you I-D any of the posters adorned the cinema in this picture?. I can only make out the English title for The Fighter, the poster on the far right.

I can't make out the one on the left but the middle one is A Chinese Ghost Story II (1990)

• Like 4

Movie Posters in Thailand

So after a week spent on the islands of southwest Thailand we returned to Bangkok and headed to P’ti’s home in the Bang Kapi district of the megalopolis.  His apartment was located on the 26th floor of a 27 story building; classic Thai music streamed in through the open balcony doors, which was welcome as this was the only domestic music we heard during our two-week trip (the entire country apparently caters to tourists who enjoy Neil Young and bad European techno).  We spent three hours going through his shelves and barely put a dent in them; he had piles of Shaw Brothers posters, Thai versions of Japanese half-sheets from the 60s/70s, and an impressive collection of classic American three-sheets.

Link- http://cinedelphia.com/movie-posters-in-thailand/

poster-13.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4