The Shaw Brothers Van & Other Related Randomness

DragonClaws

✰ Original Metromedia promo for World Northal's Black Belt Theater presentation of the Shaw Brothers production "MORTAL COMBAT" - aka: 殘缺 "CRIPPLED AVENGERS" (12/21/78) that was to be shown on Saturday, May 26 1984 at 3pm. ✰ This commercial/promo was broadcast only once on WNEW-TV channel 5 in New York City immediately following "A Slice Of Death" (aka: 少林英雄榜 "The Abbot of Shaolin"; 7/11/79) at approximately 4:52pm on Saturday May 19th, 1984. ✰ The Crippled Avengers (aka "Mortal Combat") was directed by the late Chang Cheh, and stars Kuo Chui, Lo Mang, Sun Chien, Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, and Chen Kuan-Tai. + In addition, this clip also contains the U.S. "Mortal Combat" opening titles sequence.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

framed picture of Run Run Shaw.

In that image the placing of the portrait, reminds me of portraits of dictators/monarchs. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

In that image the placing of the portrait, reminds me of portraits of dictators/monarchs. 

Good point @Silver and Gold Dragon

It most likely is copied from that, you can see it in big business even now, they have images of the top brass in their meeting rooms etc. With the head honcho, usually the most prominent one.

• Like 1

When the studio was still active, with a film set on top of the hill.

I wonder if the worker below, is delivering food to the studio?

hong-kong-movies-by-the-shaw-brothers-ho

And more recent images of the same gates/entrance.

Screen20Shot202015-09-1720at206.58.2420P

1CYWV7lMQkpJtjWF3Uxktg.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

If the studio had a good restoration it would make a nice museum. A lot of the stuff left to decay would be worth hundreds to fans like us. Some reels and posters do actually go for hundreds anyway. The price of Shaw's memorabilia, is part of the reason I have more Golden Harvest stuff lol.

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

The price of Shaw's memorabilia, is part of the reason I have more Golden Harvest stuff lol.

:bs_coveredlaugh:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

The price of Shaw's memorabilia, is part of the reason I have more Golden Harvest stuff lol.

I dont think it should be that way, but seller's will always increase the prices, of products that are more popular.

12 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

If the studio had a good restoration it would make a nice museum.

Great idea, but even BL's former home is struggling to find a new owner, and thats knowhere near the size of the Shaw Brothers lot, or whats left of it.

• Like 1

More images of the now derelict Shaw's T.V/Film studio.

Link- https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/overseas-sites/35374-shaw-studios-tvb-hq-clearwater-bay-hong-kong-august-2017-a.html#.W-Srg-KnzIU

It would for a vry good location, for a futuristic/dystopian film.

The former SB employees apartment blocks.

36110191094_69ccc480c7_b.jpg

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

We have intruded some derelict buildings and estates in our heydays but never have they caused such a feeling of melancholy and transience like these pictures and videos of the once glorious Shaw buildings. This is kinda personal :(

• Like 2

What a pity !!

And some people are sleeping in the streets !! They should restore all these apartments and give them to these poor people instead of letting this happen !

It seems to me that the Shaws' actors building were used for several movies such as The criminals 5 when the cops try to trap the rapist, right ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

And some people are sleeping in the streets !! They should restore all these apartments and give them to these poor people instead of letting this happen !

You see the same thing here in Britain, no shortage of un-used space, but a big rise in homeless people.

Whats left of the Malay branch of the Shaw Brothers empire, appears to be in a lot better condition.

In 1937 the Shaw brothers built their first film studio in Singapore. The studio made 10 Malay films before it was confiscated during the Japanese Occupation

Link- https://stateofbuildings.sg/places/malay-film-production-studios

c0f24109-4170-4921-8bed-32afb9c2be24.jpg

c2ebdc3e-6090-4f3a-8f2e-567310640026.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, yes, the Malay studios look much better  !!

I'm surprised that the quote says that the Shaws only made 10 Malay movies. It seems to me that there are much more than 10 titles that I heard of as being Shaws' Malay productions !

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm surprised that the quote says that the Shaws only made 10 Malay movies. It seems to me that there are much more than 10 titles that I heard of as being Shaws' Malay productions !

Sure they did make more films, maybe it's just referring to how many productions they made, pre to the Japanese confiscating things?.

Another still of the studio, from around 2016.

image.jpg

Did this redevelopement of the area happen?.

Link- https://balestiertmc.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/lets-get-reel-the-unfolding-singapore-film/

Former Shaw studio caretaker, Joe Hogan, who's home was pictured in the othe rlinks I posted about the area.

main-submission.jpg

• Like 1

Digging through my archives, i have found an interesting old magazine devoted solely the art of Choy Li Fut (Choi Lei Fat).

Late Alexander Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan-Chun – legendary duo of Shaw Brothers Studios –  on the cover and few applications inside: “Covering Hand, Tiger Claw vs. Bail  the Moon from the Bottom of the Sea” and “Double Flying Butterfly Palms”.

Fu Sheng was one of the favourite students of Lau Kar-Leung, Chi Kuan-Chun oth the other hand has mastered the Hung Ga curriculum under the guidance of Chiu Wai.

I am no CLF expert, but i have to say that the aplications shown in this particular issue by these two gentleman do not seem to me be typical CLF techniques, but well, i might be wrong. Maybe a choreography from some of their movies?

Check it out: Link- http://naamkyun.com/2012/03/shaw-bros-stars-performing-some-choy-li-fut-aplications/

• Like 1