Zatoichi series

Guest lungfei90

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

This is the hardest Question that everyone asks, there're all Great but my favorite one's are:

1)Zatoichi the Outlaw

2)Cane Sword

3)Festival of Fire

4)Zatoichi-(This was the Last movie he made)

Daisho2004

Guest kungfusamurai

I think they are all worth getting. I don't have a favorite that comes to mind because they are all great. But I prefer the period pre-1970. Those later ones had him getting into some sexual situations. I know he had needs and stuff, but I kind of liked the idea that Zatoichi was a romantic rather than a sex starved masseur (I'm exaggerating a bit, of course).

The one Zatoichi film I don't like is 'and the Doomed Man'. I thought that movie was weak from beginning to end.

KFS

Guest irons

I have a soft spot for Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo. But you could do worse than start picking up them all, it's nice to have the complete series.

Guest venoms5

ZATOICHI CHALLENGED, ZATOICHI AND THE CHESS EXPERT, ZATOICHI AND THE CHEST OF GOLD, ZATOICHI AND THE FUGITIVES(probably the most violent of the 60's 70"s series), ZATOICHIS REVENGE, and ZATOICHI & THE DOOMED MAN is really enjoyable. I have yet to see one I didn't like as I have 20 so far.

Guest Violento

Gotta catch 'em all, gotta catch 'em all... Zatoichi! :rollin

No seriously, if You have the money You should get it all cuz the Zatoichi series are among the best chambara films available (and remastered).

*Sigh*, I wish somebody would remaster all the +/- 100 Zatoichi TV episodes.

Guest ZAX203

I'd reccomend the first three Zatoichi movies witch are: The Story of Zatoichi, The Story of Zatoichi 2, and The New Story of Zatoichi.

I'd also say Zatoichi Challenged and Fight Zatoichi Fight are some of the series highlights

Guest brassmonkey001

The best versions to go for are the Animeigo ones but they only have the rights to six or seven films out of the series.

Guest sakura2004

Having seem many of them at the theatre, I have only collected a handful. The 1st (The Story of Zatoichi?) is my fav by far. The fishing scenes, and the one where the consumtive ronin performs nukitsuke from seiza were sehr kool.

Guest KidwiththeGoldenArm

They got kind of formulaic, but were all pretty good. I didn't buy that he could kill the One Armed Swordsman, but I like him with Yojimbo and the Chess Expert.

Guest POGO

*Fight, Zatoichi, Fight #8 (My favorite Ichi flick of all. When he decides to return the baby to it's father. Ichi even cries in this one.)

*Zatoichi and the Chess Expert #15

*Zatoichi’s Cane Sword #15

*Zatoichi Challenged #17

*Zatoichi and the Fugitives #18 (The best soundtrack of the series with #19 being the second best.)

*Samaritan Zatoichi #19

Archived