Fortune Star 4K Showreel 2018

Ronin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AOG, the Project A series and Chinese Ghost Story trilogy deserve 4K remastering in my book.

Although The Story of Ricky is being remastered on Blu is pretty awesome.

On 4/13/2018 at 6:04 PM, HyperDrive said:

AOG, the Project A series and Chinese Ghost Story trilogy deserve 4K remastering in my book.

Although The Story of Ricky is being remastered on Blu is pretty awesome.

Agreed.

STORY OF RICKY is already out on blu-ray in the UK. Disc is locked to Region B, but if you are capable of playing UK blu-rays it is worth it. Gorgeous transfer.

Drunken Monk

Call me stupid, but do you need a UHD Blu Ray to play 4K Blu Rays? And will 2K Blu Rays play on a "regular" Blu Ray player?

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Call me stupid, but do you need a UHD Blu Ray to play 4K Blu Rays? And will 2K Blu Rays play on a "regular" Blu Ray player?

It would depend whether or not they're actually presented at 2k/4k resolution, or just presented in 1080p, downscaled from a 2k/4k transfer.

If it's the former, you'd need a UHD-capable player. If it's the latter, you shouldn't.

Drunken Monk
16 minutes ago, Asmo said:

It would depend whether or not they're actually presented at 2k/4k resolution, or just presented in 1080p, downscaled from a 2k/4k transfer.

If it's the former, you'd need a UHD-capable player. If it's the latter, you shouldn't.

Ah...gotcha. I think.

While I do appreciate any new releases of HK classics, am I the only one who thinks it's high time they gave us something fresh. I mean I love Bruce, Jackie and Jet but most of the movies showcased here have been released several times already. How about a Blu-Ray of "On the Run"?

20 hours ago, laagi said:

While I do appreciate any new releases of HK classics, am I the only one who thinks it's high time they gave us something fresh. I mean I love Bruce, Jackie and Jet but most of the movies showcased here have been released several times already. How about a Blu-Ray of "On the Run"?

A blu-ray of 'On the Run' would be amazing! As would be blu-rays of many other GH films that aren't the same old classics.

A ton of slightly more obscure Hong Kong films have already been remastered in HD and popped up on Chinese VOD services. Films like ANGEL TERMINATORS and THE ODD ONE DIES. I am sure that ON THE RUN will get remastered at some point (if it hasn't already been done), but the only way I can see any of these types of films ever getting a blu-ray release is if a US or European distributor buys the rights and decides to release them on disc. The way that the physical media market is going, this possibility is getting smaller and smaller every day. I thought crowd funding may have been the answer, but from what I hear the licenses for anything from Fortune Star (and other HK companies) are just too expensive to make it financially feasible.

NoKUNGFUforYU
41 minutes ago, Ronin said:

A ton of slightly more obscure Hong Kong films have already been remastered in HD and popped up on Chinese VOD services. Films like ANGEL TERMINATORS and THE ODD ONE DIES. I am sure that ON THE RUN will get remastered at some point (if it hasn't already been done), but the only way I can see any of these types of films ever getting a blu-ray release is if a US or European distributor buys the rights and decides to release them on disc. The way that the physical media market is going, this possibility is getting smaller and smaller every day. I thought crowd funding may have been the answer, but from what I hear the licenses for anything from Fortune Star (and other HK companies) are just too expensive to make it financially feasible.

I am trying to sub the VOD HD releases, but I don't know how much interest there is. Sometimes I spend weeks transcribing the dub and then only 4 people want it. It takes time away from my family and work. If people are interested, please say so. 

My main interest is in old school kung fu movies tbh. Good customs of any of those and i'm in.But looking at what' been coming up on cinemageddon there's not too many of these old school ones appearng.

19 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I am trying to sub the VOD HD releases, but I don't know how much interest there is. Sometimes I spend weeks transcribing the dub and then only 4 people want it. It takes time away from my family and work. If people are interested, please say so. 

I am pondering diving into the world of extracting/adding subtitles and audio in an attempt to make some of these HD rips watchable. It is a lot of work, but I don't know if there will be any other way to enjoy these nice HD versions.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Copying them from a dub or old hard sub can be tedious. But it can be a whole different movie as well. Knife's Roaring dubbed is meh, but restored in Mandarin, it's great.

2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Copying them from a dub or old hard sub can be tedious. But it can be a whole different movie as well. Knife's Roaring dubbed is meh, but restored in Mandarin, it's great.

Yeah, I have to admit, that is more work than I am willing to do :sweating At this point I am just considering ripping subtitles and audio from an existing mkv file and trying to add them to another.

NoKUNGFUforYU

That is pretty easy. Depending on the power of your computer, it takes an hour. You have to rip both files to mkv mp4 and double check the timing. Did that with Killers on Wheels and MA Su Cheng takes revenge, that is why I priced them so cheap. 

On 4/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

That is pretty easy. Depending on the power of your computer, it takes an hour. You have to rip both files to mkv mp4 and double check the timing. Did that with Killers on Wheels and MA Su Cheng takes revenge, that is why I priced them so cheap. 

I just figured out that the VOD rip of ANGEL TERMINATORS is cut, so that makes it a whole lot more complicated :crying

Archived