70s movie with stone statues fighting

peteybaby

Question

Hello, I just joined the forum.  Over the past several years, I've managed to download all the 70s movies I remember watching as a kid, except one.  My memory of it is very foggy, but I believe the protagonist fought stone statues (they could move), and they were in some kind of building; not outdoors.  It felt like they were in a dungeon or something like that.

Does anyone remember such a movie?  I thought it might be the Unbeaten 28, or the 18 Bronzemen, but it's not the latter one for sure (I just watched it). I haven't gotten around to watching the Unbeaten 28 yet but I've just skimmed through it with my video player and I don't think that's it either.

My guess would be that it's from 1973 - 1978, approximately.

• Like 3

18 answers to this question

Hope you find an answer, because Id definelty want to watch what you described. 

Edited by Koravec
nevermind 18 Bronzmen 3 is not AKA Unbeaten 28, but 8 Masters
  • Like 4

Hey thanks everybody for the replies.  I just watched General Stone, and... I'm not sure.  I saw the movie I'm trying to find 40 yrs ago, so I don't remember it well.  The dungeon-like surroundings during the stone statue fight scenes in General Stone were similar to what I remember, but I thought that the one I saw as a kid had less-human looking statues, and I think they were filmed using stop-action photography (maybe), and the statues were a more important part of the movie.  But I could be wrong, General Stone might be it!

Does anyone know if there's a complete list of martial arts movies from the 70s?

• Like 2

What about 18 jade claws ? It seems to me that Shan Kuan Ling Fung trains with a stone statue, but I didn't watch this movie, only saw this clip...

38 minutes ago, peteybaby said:

Does anyone know if there's a complete list of martial arts movies from the 70s?

Just try this : 

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/imovie.asp?y=1970

I think that you'll find all genre of movies in this link, but at least, it's the 1970 year...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 3

Thanks for that suggestion but I don't think that's it.  Also thanks for the list... I just read all the titles from about 1970 - 1981, and clicked the ones that seemed promising, but I didn't find anything more likely than General Stone.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

I wonder if you're thinking of Jackie Chan's Shaolin Wooden Men (1976). He's in a dungeon-like area of the monastery where he must pass a test of fighting his way through a gauntlet of blockish wooden men (which could look stone like) lining the walls.

• Like 5

Resurrecting this thread because I still want to find the movie I mentioned. :) It's been a while since I originally asked the question... maybe someone who's joined the forum recently might know? To repeat my original question:

Hello, I just joined the forum.  Over the past several years, I've managed to download all the 70s movies I remember watching as a kid, except one.  My memory of it is very foggy, but I believe the protagonist fought stone statues (they could move), and they were in some kind of building; not outdoors.  It felt like they were in a dungeon or something like that.

Does anyone remember such a movie?  I thought it might be the Unbeaten 28, or the 18 Bronzemen, but it's not the latter one for sure (I just watched it). I haven't gotten around to watching the Unbeaten 28 yet but I've just skimmed through it with my video player and I don't think that's it either.

My (new) guess would be that it's from 1965 - 1978, approximately.

...I wonder if the stone statues might have been the terracotta warriors? Just guessing at this point.

Edited by peteybaby

On 4/30/2018 at 12:20 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I wonder if you're thinking of Jackie Chan's Shaolin Wooden Men (1976). He's in a dungeon-like area of the monastery where he must pass a test of fighting his way through a gauntlet of blockish wooden men (which could look stone like) lining the walls.

There is a similar sequence in Shaolin Temple (1976).  The Wooden Men are less humanoid, but it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

I would think out of any random 70s fu something like this would be the best to be the last one unfound at what a standout sequence that would be. 

On 3/21/2023 at 2:56 AM, starschwar said:

There is a similar sequence in Shaolin Temple (1976).  The Wooden Men are less humanoid, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks, I just watched that. Not the one I'm looking for, but a good movie nevertheless!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peteybaby said:

Thanks, I just watched that. Not the one I'm looking for, but a good movie nevertheless!

It's a loose (very continuity-breaking) prequel to Five Shaolin Masters - worth a watch if you enjoyed.  Good luck in your ongoing search, too.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:20 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Five years late, but thanks for that suggestion too. I just watched it. Not the movie I'm looking for, but a good movie! I hadn't seen it before. Neat to see Jackie Chan in his youth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, goldenarm said:

I bet you are referring to the Korean film: Grandmaster of Shaolin Kung Fu (skip to the 1:13 minute mark: 

Thanks! I'll have to watch that, looks cool, but that's not the one. The statues in the movie I have in mind were not so humanoid.

• Like 1