ID underground tournament film?

sifu iron perm

sifu iron perm

I saw part of this movie maybe 7-8 years ago, all i can remeber is some underground tournament in a dungeon type setting. A fighter squares off against a beast or some part human part beast.?

The beast thing kills the fighter and savagely rips him apart.

Another scene i recall is the friend (a black guy..don't think its michael jai white, unsure?)of the fighter who got muelled to death enters the tournmanet to take revenge.

sorry for the lack of details.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

At first I thought you might be describing a scene from Brotherhood of the Wolf, but that's not a tournament film and Mark Dacascos is easily recognizable. 

A few questions for you @sifu iron perm:
Was this a period piece? I ask because of the impression I'm getting.
Did you happen to catch to the release year?
Was there no one you could identify or have ever seen in another film?

I recently got Metal Hurlant Chronicles which came out in 2012 and features Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins, and Darren Shahlavi. It's a sci-fi/fantasy series that has some tournament style fighting in it. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so I don't know if there's some freaky half man/half beast in it. Maybe you caught some of that? 

One Armed Boxer

More questions - what country do you think it was from, or at least region?  Was it a US production, Asian, European?

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

More questions - what country do you think it was from, or at least region?  Was it a US production, Asian, European?

set maybe in eastern europe?has a cosmopilatan feel to it.

The blood was cgi/effects though..

sifu iron perm
On 07/04/2018 at 3:30 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

At first I thought you might be describing a scene from Brotherhood of the Wolf, but that's not a tournament film and Mark Dacascos is easily recognizable. 

A few questions for you @sifu iron perm:
Was this a period piece? I ask because of the impression I'm getting.
Did you happen to catch to the release year?
Was there no one you could identify or have ever seen in another film?

I recently got Metal Hurlant Chronicles which came out in 2012 and features Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins, and Darren Shahlavi. It's a sci-fi/fantasy series that has some tournament style fighting in it. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so I don't know if there's some freaky half man/half beast in it. Maybe you caught some of that? 

sorry its not the tv show with those guys.

ill try and find more clues and get back to you guys.

Sounds like Arena(1989). Sounds alittle different though because this is in space and aliens(no black guy), so not sure. 2011 was another Arena movie with Samuel L Jackson. There were a few other alien ones too. Was this new at the time or did it date back like Arena did? Also there might have been a few not quite 7 or 8 years ago that might fit.

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, slinky#1 said:

Sounds like Arena(1989). Sounds alittle different though because this is in space and aliens(no black guy), so not sure. 2011 was another Arena movie with Samuel L Jackson. There were a few other alien ones too. Was this new at the time or did it date back like Arena did? Also there might have been a few not quite 7 or 8 years ago that might fit.

I've watched the first Arena movie recently, and I don't think it's that movie personally. However, I've never watched any of the sequels, it could be one of those?. Never even knew about the sequels, before reading your post @slinky#1.

Being thinking about @sifu iron perm post, and I honestly don't know what movie it is.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I've watched the first Aren movie recently, and I don't think it's that movie personally. However, I've never watched any of the sequels, it could be one of those?. Never even knew about the sequels, before reading your post @slinky#1.

Actually I think he meant and this is true, there was another movie called Arena that had both Samuel L. Jackson and Kellan Lutz (who played the underground fighter) that came out in 2011. It was OTT at times...fights were okay for what they were...had to do if I remember right with something involving fighting for the online universe and Jackson was the mastermind behind it.

Could this be the movie, which @slinky#1 mentioned?

Here's the trailer for the Kellan Lutz/Samuel L. Jackson movie Arena

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Could this be the movie, which @slinky#1 mentioned?

Thats the one dude, at least thats the movie I have with the same name, not a Martial Arts movie really.

sifu iron perm

Guys, appreciae the input, thought i was getting there with Arena (2011) but unfortunately that is not it.

Urgh, this is bugging me. 

DragonClaws
On 09/04/2018 at 6:43 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Urgh, this is bugging me.

Did you ever find out what movie it was? or remember any more clues?.

sifu iron perm
22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Did you ever find out what movie it was? or remember any more clues?.

no clues as i forgot it completely now. i used to have it on my external hard drive. maybe it will come back to me. 

DragonClaws
On 27/04/2018 at 3:40 PM, sifu iron perm said:

no clues as i forgot it completely now. i used to have it on my external hard drive. maybe it will come back to me. 

Is this the movie?.

Beast-Movie-Poster.jpg

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Is this the movie?.

Beast-Movie-Poster.jpg

It's definitely not that one dude. 'Beast' came out just a couple of years ago, & @sifu iron perm said he watched it 7-8 years ago.

It was supposed to be a crowd-funded movie helmed by one time Sammo Hung protege Bobby Samuels, but it fell considerably short of its goal, & was eventually released as a (very) low budget short film at some point last year, noticeably lacking any of the promised cast members like Lo Meng & Chang Shan.

Most infamously, it won the Best Action Movie award at the 2016 Urban Action Showcase (which Samuels was involved in)...despite it not even being finished.

There's a dedicated thread here, but most of the posts covering its latter stage problems & eventual release were lost in the forum black out -

sifu iron perm
On 29/04/2018 at 1:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

Is this the movie?.

Beast-Movie-Poster.jpg

can't find a trailer for it. 

I'll check it out ASAP.

Thanks for the look out.

Archived