What Concerts Have You Been To Recently?

Koravec

I'm surprised I didn't see this post already, unless I missed it.

As the title suggests, what music shows have you been to been to recently?

I'll start the thread off below.

• Like 1

saw a rap artist by the name of Ghostemane a few months ago in Detroit, the day after a fellow artist of his, Lil Peep died (rip).

In case your unfamiliar with him and his music, he blends various subgenres of metal with hip-hop. Mostly southern influenced, with quick spits in the vein of Bone Thugs, Three 6 Mafia, etc. 

Initially influenced by eastern philosophy, with a giant buddah head tattooed on his neck and lyrics like~ "I want to live up on a mountain top/Without a worry of what kind of acid to drop/I'm thinking if I hit a high enough altitude/I'll be escaping the demons that lurk in my room/But I keep it cool/Shinigami got me thinking that I am an unlucky fool" and "I'm dreamin about all the shit That I really wanna do when I get old Like drop out of life become a monk and study the 8 fold"~ With long white hair similar to a silver fox to go along with his persona. Also noted is the brilliantly sampled Bruce Lee quote on the brilliant album, Plagues, "Dont think, feel" at the start of the song "Lady Madini". Then turning later to darker themes such as those presented in different forms of occultism.

Anyway the show was pretty fun for the most part, I mean, I loved it. He had a bad throat, so he was on stage with a mug sipping tea. There wasnt a ton of people there, but a decent amount (smallish venue). He would alternate songs with a fellow rapper, Wavey Jones, and there was a brief tribute to Peep. A living legend in my opinion, I plan on seeing him a few more times. 

~ I feel like Im showing my age with this post, as this is part of a more recent culture.

Though I also recently purchased tickets to see Dead and Company (grateful dead) this summer coming up, should be a great time!

• Like 1

So I just went to a Dead and Company show. Hopefully this thread Here doesnt continue to read like a personal blog of just my experiences, but Ill still tell mine. Ill probably repost this in the Grateful Dead thread as well.

I just recently got into The Grateful Dead this year. I previously thought they actually sucked to be honest. however the recently released Records Collection compilation has blown my mind. They truly are a great band with a unique sound. I was huge into all other psychedelic music of the era too. But what really had me make an effort to get i to them is John Mayers addition to the Company's lineup. I'm quite a big Mayer fan, as well as the incredible folkish Japanese fashion hes endorsed from Visvim and Kapital

The music sounded great, I was so happy to hear Big River and US Blues. The rendition of Friend of The Devil was the best listening experience Ive had of that song, which is saying something.

Now as much as I love John Mayers voice, I dont always find it suitable for the music, especially when hes not harmonizing with Bob Weir. That being said, I wish Bob Weir would have sang more. It almost felt like half of the show was spent trying to close it. I wanted more of the Grateful Dead sound, not a 'Bob Weir with friends' sound. I could have done without the two Bob Dylan covers (huge Dylan fan) though they were not unique from the regular versions enough. 

After the show, a couple people let me in on what Shakedown Street was about. Which I dumbly wasnt even aware of prior. I followed them there, as they walked in and immediately bought helium balloons to get high off of...such as many other people. I did not indulge in any sort of thing. Though edibles, lsd and weed were commonly offered. 

This Shakedown Street area was like nothing I had ever seen before, everyone had their giant dreads and whatnot. It felt like some crazy backcountry party. Like I was in Star Wars or Mad Max or something. 

I feel like quite a hippie from that, as I sit here writinf this barefoot on an island in a river. lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Noone has any experiences they want to share? I just saw a fellow rapper named Bexey Swan last night, awesome show. He also cites Bruce Lee as an influence and has a couple of awesome tattoos depicting characters from The Warriors movie (Cyrus, and the leader of the Furies. 

I see him as a very under appreciated artist, kind of like a Ziggy Stardust of pop/rap, real cyber punk type stuff, in a field of his own. 

Anyway I was probably one of the most hype in the crowd for his set, unfortunately didnt get to meet him afterwards. 

(ill post pics later)

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

Well I've been to a few this year. The best by a long chalk was Jeff Beck, astonishing musicianship and The sounds he got from his guitar actually made me shed a tear. 

• Like 1

On October 22, 2018 at 12:47 PM, SamSeed said:

Well I've been to a few this year. The best by a long chalk was Jeff Beck, astonishing musicianship and The sounds he got from his guitar actually made me shed a tear. 

Thats nice, but what surprises me is that he would be on the radar of some people. I over heard an older guy at work telling some people he was going to go to a Jeff Beck show. I figured someone like him would prioritize seeing a band, and likewise be unfamiliar with Beck. I know about him because I play guitar and have an interest in the guitar greats. But unlike Hendrix, Page, Zappa, Garcia, Santana, etc is that those are actually pop/rock musicians with lyrics, Beck is full on jazz fusion and instrumental. 

If he has the same appeal and notoriety to a lot of people as say seeing a band like the Stones, Id be interested to hear that. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:28 PM, Koravec said:

Thats nice, but what surprises me is that he would be on the radar of some people. I over heard an older guy at work telling some people he was going to go to a Jeff Beck show. I figured someone like him would prioritize seeing a band, and likewise be unfamiliar with Beck. I know about him because I play guitar and have an interest in the guitar greats. But unlike Hendrix, Page, Zappa, Garcia, Santana, etc is that those are actually pop/rock musicians with lyrics, Beck is full on jazz fusion and instrumental. 

If he has the same appeal and notoriety to a lot of people as say seeing a band like the Stones, Id be interested to hear that. 

Well obviously I can only speak for myself, I'm 23, but thankfully have grown up listening to the greats (in fact, I was lucky enough for my first concert to be B.B King and Gary Moore, when I was 10. And let me tell you, that is a high benchmark for a first concert!). I've since diversified into different genres but guitar music whether it's classic rock, jazz or fusion has remained my first love, and Beck remains the absolute master. I've seen Satriani and Vai, John Petrucci etc and enjoyed them a lot, but nothing compared to Beck, because it's not the notes he plays, it's the notes he chooses not to play, the amount of space he affords the music. Have you seen the DVD of Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts in London? It's my favourite music DVD, because not only is the virtuosity of every band member astonishing, it;s the joy they are having being up onstage in such a small, iconic venue that is infectious.

• Like 2

@SamSeed Oh okay mate, I assumed you were much older. I havent seen the footage of live at Ronnie Scotts but I have listened to the album several times years ago (Im only 22 as well lol) and it was nothing Ive ever heard before. My fav jazz guitarist rn is Pat Metheny, although I have been feeling a lot of older style jazz guitar, even if I dont always like a lot of the stuff put out originally as well. 

• Like 1

Wrote about seeing both of them live, always excited when they link up. Heres them together in Japan today. Planning to see Ghostemane again next month!

image.png

• Like 1

Had the privilege of seeing my favorite singer songwriter, The Tallest Man on Earth, recently. Saw him in 2015 at the Ryman in Nashville for his Dark Bird is Home tour. 

This tour has changed a lot since then, now performing solo again without a backing band and with the addition of a banjo, harmonica, and light fixtures. The light fixtures are pillars behind him, set up in a V shape, gleamwaves of fashing lights in various colors. Definitely added a different dynamic to the set, for some tracks in a good way and others admittedly unnecessarily and even unfitting for the rawer style of folk music.

The recent music hes put out has been the quietest yet, so some of us figured the set would be softer and more subdued. However this was far from the case. Picking and wailing as nearly as loud as conceivable (not too unlike metal or punk even). There were times where I felt as if his singing was shaking the forests of Sweden (his home country) and summoning creatures from the earth or something. He remains probably the most energetic singer songwriter ever.

• Like 1

Heres a lineup for those of you who dont prefer to go out to events Its relatable though lol. This is a film connoisseur's forum after all, an often solitary indoor activity.

image.jpeg

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

Saw KISS! Great performance by the iconic 70s rock band. Unfortunately the energy from the crowd was very weak. Those songs are so much more powerful live. Particularly enjoyed the God of Thunder. So glad to have gone to a Kiss show. A decent amount of fans in makeup, not tons. Not a lot of goth looking people, but a few metalhead mixed in here and there, mostly normal looking middle-agers. Wanted to mosh pit but not enough of us ragers in a similar area, too many oldies and some babies. Was hearing great tracks I overlooked on the bad drive (traffic) there. Kept waiting for intermission to grab a beer, ranging in prices from 10-15 dollars for a tallboy. Insanely high prices for a cheap beer (no PBR even). Even 10 was beginning to sound cheap to me after a while of being there. I partially blame the steep brew prices on the boring crowd. But a break between the set never came, the band powered through it all in one go. Shirts were 50, figured I didnt need another shirt I wouldnt wear much. Perhaps a Bat Without Wings tee SMK?

Its called the End of The Road tour, supposedly their last ongoing tour, but well see if they stick to that in coming years.

• Like 3

Not really a concert, but I figured this would be a good contribution to the thread.

I caught RUSH: Cinema Strangiato. It was a theatrical form of selections from the R40 performance along with some really cool extras. i had such a great time watching and so did everyone else in the theater. I think they showed the S&M 2 trailer twice for Metallica, but we'll see if its any good. 

But yeah it was very good. They started from Clockwork Angels and worked their way back to Working Man. I think they played about 10-15 songs in total.

• Like 3

Just had to post, I finally went to the legendary Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London to see Tal Wilkenfeld, who used to be Jeff Beck's bassist, she was absolutely astonishing, I highly recommend her album Love Remains, sort of a jazz funk Joni Mitchell sort of vibe.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

Only been to 4 my whole life, please don't judge.

1. Rage Against the machine- battle of los Angeles tour

2. Master P- 90s

3. alien ant Farm and Papa roach- pre 9/11

4. Family Values Tour- pre 9/11 

Concerts I would time travel back to:

Live Aids

U.S Music Festival 1983ish??

Woodstock 69

:BL-Music:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Only been to 4 my whole life, please don't judge.

1. Rage Against the machine- battle of los Angeles tour

2. Master P- 90s

3. alien ant Farm and Papa roach- pre 9/11

4. Family Values Tour- pre 9/11 

Concerts I would time travel back to:

Live Aids

U.S Music Festival 1983ish??

Woodstock 69

:BL-Music:

What kind of music are you into? Do the acts you like just never tour in your area? Genuinely interested, going to gigs is one of my main pastimes (really the only time I'm properly social!)

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
1 minute ago, SamSeed said:

What kind of music are you into? Do the acts you like just never tour in your area? Genuinely interested, going to gigs is one of my main pastimes (really the only time I'm properly social!)

I listen to everything but lately I'm really into 90s grudge alternative or 90s R&B.  Where I lived back then, stuff was very limited for sure. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I listen to everything but lately I'm really into 90s grudge alternative or 90s R&B.  Where I lived back then, stuff was very limited for sure. 

Nice! I have to say most of my musical icons are from the 60s to the 80s (I'm 24 but brought up on classic rock) and am tentatively now  dipping my toe into the world of jazz. I have seen many of the alleged 'greatest' guitarists (Clapton, Beck, Satriani, Vai etc). My most modern reference is probably English punk band Slaves, most energetic live show I've ever seen (drummer plays standing up and it's insane how pent up he gets a crowd!)

• Like 2

Saw Bob Dylan in Michigan. Caught a favorite writer, Mark Danielewski doing a talk for his new book walking distance from the event right before. Unfortunetly showed up just slightly late and missed the first two songs as the venue staff held up people entering the show until songs would finish. 

Beautiful venue and nice setlist, very glad to of seen him.

image.jpeg

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

Saw a local Doors tribute band in a historic opera house in my hometown that Ive always been curious about. Im a massive Doors fan, these guys are great although look a little more like Nat Wolfe from the Naked Brothers Band or a member of Greta Van Fleet fronting the movie version of The Doors. Years ago I thought tribute bands were the dumbest thing ever, nowadays Im completely cool with it. But that also comes with a newfound love for live music where I used to just like studio stuff, probably due to being overwhelmed by the amount of studio stuff alone in the world, wasnt even hip to the grateful dead back then either lol.

This was my second time seeing them this year, the first at an also really cool bowling alley/volleyball venue so it was nice to stand in the sand in the summertime holding a beer. 

Just went to the single day nationwide showing of the Doors live 68 in theaters last week and saw the band at the showing all dressed as the band as well lol.

Anyway happy to finally see that old theater in my hometown. Unfortunately they ripped down the other old movie theater a couple years ago, newer (probably 70s) and less historically significant though (longtime abandoned). One of the older theater rehabilitators was happy to show me around, let me see the top 3rd floor balcony thats closed to the public.

2439034F-B046-44E9-A415-8A41C982416D.jpeg

7A2C7E6C-5F0F-4FEE-BE4E-03FF1084922F.jpeg

44EE8B9F-999A-49DC-806C-FD66F25BAC27.jpeg

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

Saw country band/trio Midland. These are guys are phenomenal, in the vein of 90s country, these guys have done a great job of bringing that sound back and the songwriting abilities are so great for what theyre going for. So good that Id say if you listen to Fourteen Gears and dont like it Ill accept that you simply just dont like country music, thats fine. The lead singer Marks voice is perfect for the style, the other two band members not so much. 

So glad they played cowgirl blues, a group beside me started chanting 14 gears but the band didnt take up on it unfortunately. Speaking of which, I cant recall that ever actually working, the artist taking shouted requests.

But really wasnt into the performance all that much actually. Mark had his collar popped all showing dancing around like Id imagine Matthew McCaughnahy would have in Magic Mike (havent seen lol). Something like a cross between james dean and freddy mercury, never seen him present himself like that onstage before. The mic came in. a little screechy too, but if Im being honest Is live music sound quality ever that good, or even decent?

Still love these guys.

• Like 1

Saw Todd Rundgren on halloween, which was super fitting with his sometimes proto-goth-leaning music and current goth-esque look. As well as the many outfit changes and hijinks while playing Wizard a True Star. I dont understand how he has so much energy at his age, I dont at my age.

Always wanted to see a Wizard a True Star show after reading about the revived interest in that album over the years, 90s in particular and wanting to see what other people have seen in that whimsical sometimes psychedelic music (always been into that psych/prog crate digging scene). Thats among like peak wikipedia internet reading for me. Always thought it was so badass or fascinating he acquired Clapton’s Cream used The Fool psychedelic SG guitar. Unfortunately he didnt use it in the show though...and I know it would just be a replica these days anyway but still.

Honestly still cant decide if I even like Todd Rundgrens music, hes a peculiar case for me, his music still sounds just a bit awkward and often unmemorable, and sometimes fruity. But as always for me, the fascination continues. Great way to spend Halloween-eve.

• Like 1