Heroes of the Wild (1977) - Explain

TheKungFuRobber

TheKungFuRobber

I was just digging through my kung fu DVD's and came across a strange one in the collection, this Hollywood East DVD of 'Heroes of Shaolin'. I picked this one up a while back from a secondhand shop out of town for £1, and after a Google search it turns out this one is rather interesting. It has a real good cast, with Chen Sing, Lo Lieh and Hwang Jang Lee making appearances so I decided to give it a watch. The film was okay, good fights and plenty of action despite the poor washed out Fullscreen print I have on this cheapo DVD release. However, I have also read of there being two parts to this movie, which share the exact same title. I can't find much info on this 'Heroes of the Wild Part II' but it's 52 minutes in length. I haven't sat through it but I'm very confused about this. There isn't even an IMDB page for this 'sequel' of sorts. Can someone explain? Is this another unrelated movie which has been butchered and retitled?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some public domain outfits released the film in two parts, but it's really only a single film. I know some public domain releases have the penultimate fights between Yuen Biao, Doris Lung and Corey Yuen fighting the main villain's lackeys cut, whereas the Crash Cinema release has that scene, but looks as if Chen Sing's initial fight with Yuen Biao and Corey Yuen might have been cut--there's a very hard edit there.

TheKungFuRobber
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

I think some public domain outfits released the film in two parts, but it's really only a single film. I know some public domain releases have the penultimate fights between Yuen Biao, Doris Lung and Corey Yuen fighting the main villain's lackeys cut, whereas the Crash Cinema release has that scene, but looks as if Chen Sing's initial fight with Yuen Biao and Corey Yuen might have been cut--there's a very hard edit there.

Where can I get an untampered version of the film? My DVD runs for 1hour and 29 minutes in PAL, and according to IMDB the film runs for 1hour and 32 minutes. Given that PAL has a 4% speedup over theatrical frame rates can I safely presume my version is uncut and contains everything that should be there? How long is the Crash Masters release?

Archived