ZATOICHI 14 : I have a subbed copy, now looking for cover...

Guest Cycycy

Guest Cycycy

as some of you probably know Zatoichi 14 is the only movie among the 26 not officially available with english subtitles

I now have a subbed copy made from the japanese dvd, excellent quality ! but I don't have the cover, if someone here is able to provide me with a high definition jpg file of the japanese official dvd cover I'll be glad to send a copy of the subbed dvd...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

I managed to get a copy from martialfan who sells on ebay. I think they have the cover from the UK release of Zatoichi's Pilgrimage, which supposedly had the wrong film inside (at least, according to HKFlix write-up, it was supposed to have one of his 70's films instead). Needless to say, I was quite please when it turned out martialfan had the right film inside. Sure it's a DVD-R, but it's a rare film. Widescreen and english subbed.

KFS

Guest limubai2000

Great! Thanks KFS I also got a copy from him but haven't watched it, I'd have no way to tell anyway. I'm waiting until I have all of the films to watch them in order 1 a day.

Guest sakura2004
I'm waiting until I have all of the films to watch them in order 1 a day.

I'm sure that will be some kind of a record. The next challenge will be to watch them back to back...

Guest kungfusamurai
Great! Thanks KFS I also got a copy from him but haven't watched it, I'd have no way to tell anyway. I'm waiting until I have all of the films to watch them in order 1 a day.

Actually, they can be appreciated in any order because the first movie doesn't really explain his background any more than some of the later ones when he meets his sensei, etc... When I first started watching them, I watched them out of order because I was renting them all over the place. It didn't hinder my appreciation of them at all. I think you should just plunk one in the DVD player right now and check it out.

KFS

Guest sakura2004

Right, but the 1st episode is where he explains certain aspects of his past life, and it is at a time when his reputaion is known, but not as well known as in later films.

Guest kungfusamurai
Right, but the 1st episode is where he explains certain aspects of his past life, and it is at a time when his reputaion is known, but not as well known as in later films.

That's true, but it isn't crucial to watch the films from that point. For me, anyway, I watched the first two after watching half a dozen of the others, and it just works to fill in some background. But each film certainly is self-contained in that you aren't required to know what happened in previous films to know why he is where he is. In fact, there are repititions of certain 'tricks' or skills he likes to do to show off his skills, like pouring the sake, gambling, and doing his sword demo to scare the crap out of whoever's trying to intimidate him.

I think waiting to collect all of them before watching them in chronological order is cruel and unusual self-punishment. :)

KFS

Guest sakura2004

I'll have to say that the first is the only one I can rewatch. Will Limubai be able to complete his Tantalus-like trial by video? Unlike the Tour de France, he did not include a lay-day.:rollin

Guest limubai2000

When I have acquired all the films I will being making my attempt. Much like summitting Mount Everest I will not be taking a lay-day or any other such nonsense. No this guy is going all the way, all 26, errr 27... wait 28? In a row, 1 a day, basically a month of 2hr nights blown. I have just over half of them now and am expecting 2 more this week.

That #14 is the one I'm concerned about making sure I have the correct copy, thus I attempted to acquire it early but then realized I have nothing to tell me if this is the right film. I don't want to ruin my attempt by watching it first.

[edit - add]

Just got 2 more in the mail today, I am arranging a large purchase to get them all ready. Since you guys have thrown the gauntlet so to speak. I will check the first 15mins of my suspect copy of #14 Pilgrimage and check the net to see if it's correct. I assume you guys will "gimme" that so it don't count against my attempt, after all it's only a test and every stunt guy gets one test run!

Archived