Iron Monkey (1993)

INCspot

What movies would you say are the four or five most similar movies (thematically or in terms of general story) to Iron Monkey (outside of the OUATIC series)?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

What movies would you say are the four or five most similar movies (thematically or in terms of general story) to Iron Monkey (outside of the OUATIC series)?

The Hero of Swallow (1996)

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, robbie said:

This is a terrible film  . Sped up to hilt and plenty of stupid wirework.  One of Donnie Yen's worst.

If you think 'Iron Monkey' is the worst of Yen's 90's output, you sir, must be mad.

No disrespect to Donnie yen and Yuen woo ping as they made good action films in past .  This is when wirework just  got too  silly. I did not watch many of Donnie yens 90s output due to wirework. It's the worst Donnie yens film I have seen. I did not watch once upon a time in China ii so that  could be worse.

One of Donnie's worst? I can name much worse than that... Iron Monkey 2, Circus Kids, Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead, Crystal Hunt, Cheetah on Fire, City of Darkness, and most recently Iceman.

Undercranking and wirework were the norm in Hong Kong action movies in the 80s/90s so you see it in pretty much everything, including Fist of Legend (it's good but I personally think it's overrated). The fight in the school, the dojo, and especially Jet fighting Yasuaki Kurata. But I don't see many folks giving it flack for the same reason people complain about this movie or few other Donnie movies.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead is tons of fun, don't get why that always gets bunched in with his stinkers.

On 04/04/2018 at 1:52 AM, KenHashibe said:

Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite martial arts movies? You mentioned Fist of Legend, which I agree is a fantastic movie, but what are some others?

to many  maybe to name. Off top of my head . the ones i enjoyed the most  are  probably   enter the dragon, in line of duty iv ,snake in eagles shadow, snake in monkeys shadow, drunken master 1& 2, undisputed 3, wheels on meals, royal warriors, hitman in hand of buddha, revenge of ninja ., a.w.o.l., bloodsport, best of the best 2, tiger cage 2, righting wrongs, police story project a , warriors two, tiger on beat, firewalker, missing in action 2.,enter the fat dragon, the victim

Iron monkey is so poor in comparison. watching a guy swung round on a wire sucks.  In u.k even when hkl film's were going for quite abit it remained at  £1 in bargain bin.  My views are all unbiased. Alot on here must be  on  payroll or bribed with free gifts  . They do not understand  action films depends on great action scenes , memorable chararacters , capable action stars . .  On here most feel we are after some type of oscar winning acting, wirefu , cgi, superhero nonsense . When should be looking at commando ,the principal ,death wish 3, maniac cop 2, death race 2. etc as benchmarks in action film .

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 4/2/2018 at 2:21 PM, andy338 said:

I'll certainly be picking this up as I gave away my hkl platinum edition years ago during a clear out and then regretted it when the hkl titles became much harder to acquire. The extras look like they're the same as the hkl platinum disc but i've no interest in the slipcover thing, I actually bin them as I think blu rays look better in cases.

Just a heads up @andy338, you may want to consider selling your slipcovers on eBay instead of throwing them away. Lots of collectors are willing to purchase them for (what I think) is ridiculous prices. Yes, just the slipcovers alone. People that wait too long to pick up releases, then can no longer get them with slipcovers, often become desperate and would gladly purchase what you don't want. It would help you (spend that slipcover money on more new movies for yourself) and them.

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Just a heads up @andy338, you may want to consider selling your slipcovers on eBay instead of throwing them away. Lots of collectors are willing to purchase them for (what I think) is ridiculous prices. Yes, just the slipcovers alone. People that wait too long to pick up releases, then can no longer get them with slipcovers, often become desperate and would gladly purchase what you don't want. It would help you (spend that slipcover money on more new movies for yourself) and them.

Thanks I had no idea they were worth anything. The problem I have (with slipcovers) is that most of my dvds/blu rays don't have them so then if I get a title that does it doesn't fit in with the others in my collection, of course I could organise the slipcover ones separately but then I don't have enough to do that so I just throw them out, might consider selling them now though.

Archived