Iron Monkey (1993)

INCspot

Iron_Leopard

It's on Netflix right now. Of course it's the inferior Miramax version but it will do if you don't have the original.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
But still it came at a time when new kung fu movies were very rare.

GD Y-Y

The OUATIC movies, some Jackie Chan movies like Dragon Twins... Yeah, the early 1990s had next to no MA movies. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the best R1 version is on dvd? Original cut.

Just purchase the blu ray HK edition put out by K&R. The quality is not as good as the region 1 version dvd but at least it is the movie uncut. You might want to check out dddhouse or yesasia. I don't think that there is an Region 1 uncut version. Miramax just screwed that movie, and all the other ones they released, to shit. Thinking about the Weinsteins makes me want to :21_003: and then it makes me want to :laluot_14:

we could have had Region 1 dvd releases that were uncut with original soundtracks. then, we could have had true HD blu ray releases of their HK releases, uncut and original audio. but they destroyed the dream by not providing the film as it was originally intended.

Does anyone know what the best R1 version is on dvd? Original cut.

Get the Joy Sales DVD. If you want superior video/subs and extras go for the R2 2-disc edition.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Get the Joy Sales DVD. If you want superior video/subs and extras go for the R2 2-disc edition.

The Kam bluray from HK is no good?

And the soundtrack. Incredible soundtrack. I actually really enjoy the Miramax soundtrack to but the original can't be beat. Someone posted the full HK version on youtube. I didn't even know it existed.

Great find!

gwailosforever
Great find!

I have the original Iron Monkey soundtrack in MP3 format. If anyone wants it please PM your email address. I'll send it over wetransfer.com :)

Certainly one of my favorite HK films as well. The sped up fights only bothered me early on. The soundtrack and cinematography are fantastic. This really has a strong nostalgic feeling in the best possibly way. Iconic piece of early 90's HK cinema.

I'm not sure if the (yellowish) color scheme on the original HKL dvd is accurate, but it's lovely!

The early 90's are one of my least favorite eras of martial arts movies, with too much wires and sped up fights in most of the films, IMO.

That's not to say I don't like any movies from this period, and Iron Monkey is definitely one of the best, even though it does have some of those issues for me. Nice story, great score, and some awesome action scenes.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
It's on Netflix right now. Of course it's the inferior Miramax version but it will do if you don't have the original.

No, it wont!

The death blow to the villain is cut. Yes... the Weinstein's cut... the death blow to the villain. One of my favorite OTT villain comeuppances in all of kung fu cinema. DICKS! And... they cut the gorgeous, moving, lyrical scene where the Iron Monkey plays music and recites while his assistant catches the pages caught up in the wind. Did I mention that because they cut these scenes I think they're DICKS?! :wink:

Just purchase the blu ray HK edition put out by K&R. The quality is not as good as the region 1 version dvd but at least it is the movie uncut. You might want to check out dddhouse or yesasia. I don't think that there is an Region 1 uncut version. Miramax just screwed that movie, and all the other ones they released, to shit. Thinking about the Weinsteins makes me want to :21_003: and then it makes me want to :laluot_14:

we could have had Region 1 dvd releases that were uncut with original soundtracks. then, we could have had true HD blu ray releases of their HK releases, uncut and original audio. but they destroyed the dream by not providing the film as it was originally intended.

Yes, so frustrating that they ruined the best chance we had for incredible Blu-ray editions of both this and DRUNKEN MASTER 2 uncut and with great English subtitles. :neutral:

It's a beaut! :nerd:

The early 90's are one of my least favorite eras of martial arts movies, with too much wires and sped up fights in most of the films, IMO.

That's not to say I don't like any movies from this period, and Iron Monkey is definitely one of the best, even though it does have some of those issues for me. Nice story, great score, and some awesome action scenes.

Though I don't like too much under-cranking, and am not a big fan of wires, to me IRON MONKEY is such a joy. The one spot where the sped up action does bother me is Donnie and Yu Rong Guang's first exchange on the roof. If you watch that bit in slow-motion, it's a fantastic back and forth. I think the speeding up lessens the impact there. But otherwise... not my all-time favorite film, but definitely high up on the list.

I love Iron Monkey. It's probably the film that really got me into martial arts movies, certainly Hong Kong movies.

When Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Came out I went to rent it from my local video rental store, but they didn't have an copies left at the time. They reccomended Iron Monkey instead, which I watched with a friend. My mind was blown, the actiuon was incredible and the movie was a lot of fun to boot. Eventually i got to see CTHD too which was also fantastic and knew I needed more of this stuff in my life.

I really dug the Donnie Yen movie Iron Monkey as a kid but i just found out not to long ago that the miramax vhs copy i use to watch was edited. I also looked up reviews for the bluray on amazon and people claimed it was still edited. Does anyone know where you can get an unedited subbed version thats preferebly under 60$?

• Administrator

Do you have an All-Region DVD or Blu-ray player? If you do, the Hong Kong Legends Region 2 UK version (and the Australian version, which is the same thing except Region 4)- IRON MONKEY 2 disc "Platinum Edition" is uncut, beautiful print, comes with original Chinese audio and optional English subtitles, and an English dub track, plus a bunch of great Special Features. It's long out of print, but sometimes you can still find it.

Here it is for a really sweet price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MONKEY-2DISC-EDITION-DVD-MOVIE-/291160944871?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item43ca8b70e7

Same thing, but more expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Monkey-Platinum-Edition-DVD-New-Sealed-Region-4-/131178359593?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item1e8ad6eb29

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Monkey-Platinum-Edition-NEW-DVD-R4-/261484244611?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item3ce1acee83

Here is an older release, also completely uncut. This is the cheapest (and also comes with John Woo's ONCE A THIEF), but it doesn't have any real Special Features and it's regular widescreen, not anamorphic. In other words it doesn't automatically fill the screen on widescreen HD TVs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Media-Asia-Action-Martial-Arts-Movies-Iron-Monkey-and-Once-a-Thief-/331313610341?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4d23d47e65

Here is the Fortune Star/Kam & Ronson Blu-ray. I know it's uncut, but I don't know what the quality is like. These guys don't always put out the best prints:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Monkey-1993-Blu-Ray-Region-A-UNCUT-English-Subtitles-Donnie-Yen-/271583219852?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3f3b9f108c

Hope this helps. :nerd:

Do you have an All-Region DVD or Blu-ray player? If you do, the Hong Kong Legends Region 2 UK version (and the Australian version, which is the same thing except Region 4)- IRON MONKEY 2 disc "Platinum Edition" is uncut, beautiful print, comes with original Chinese audio and optional English subtitles, and an English dub track, plus a bunch of great Special Features. It's long out of print, but sometimes you can still find it.

Here it is for a really sweet price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MONKEY-2DISC-EDITION-DVD-MOVIE-/291160944871?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item43ca8b70e7

Same thing, but more expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Monkey-Platinum-Edition-DVD-New-Sealed-Region-4-/131178359593?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item1e8ad6eb29

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Monkey-Platinum-Edition-NEW-DVD-R4-/261484244611?pt=AU_DVDsBlurayDiscs&hash=item3ce1acee83

Here is an older release, also completely uncut. This is the cheapest (and also comes with John Woo's ONCE A THIEF), but it doesn't have any real Special Features and it's regular widescreen, not anamorphic. In other words it doesn't automatically fill the screen on widescreen HD TVs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Media-Asia-Action-Martial-Arts-Movies-Iron-Monkey-and-Once-a-Thief-/331313610341?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4d23d47e65

Here is the Fortune Star/Kam & Ronson Blu-ray. I know it's uncut, but I don't know what the quality is like. These guys don't always put out the best prints:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Monkey-1993-Blu-Ray-Region-A-UNCUT-English-Subtitles-Donnie-Yen-/271583219852?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item3f3b9f108c

Hope this helps. :nerd:

Thanks for the info man!ya luckily my bluray player is dvd region free so I will definitely look into these

Morgoth Bauglir

I've wondered about this for years but I didn't know how to ask, and I still don't. I have the Miramax and Megastar DVD. When watching the Miramax DVD the action is amazing. I love almost every second of it. But on the Megastar version the action doesn't look all that good. I'm assuming it's because the picture quality is better on the MIramax version. But it feels like there's something more to it. I can't put my finger on it. Any thoughts?:sad:

• Administrator
I've wondered about this for years but I didn't know how to ask, and I still don't. I have the Miramax and Megastar DVD. When watching the Miramax DVD the action is amazing. I love almost every second of it. But on the Megastar version the action doesn't look all that good. I'm assuming it's because the picture quality is better on the MIramax version. But it feels like there's something more to it. I can't put my finger on it. Any thoughts?:sad:

The Miramax version has been re-scored. Perhaps the combination of it having a better picture quality and the different music does it for you.

I also believe the undercranked parts of the fights have been slown down a little in the us cut plus the sound effects are synced with the strikes a lil better on the us version ;)

Morgoth Bauglir

Thanks very much for the help guys. I probably won't get many more responses now that the threads have been halfhazardly merged. I think you may be right henge about the fights being slowed down. It's definitely not the sound that is throwing me off. I think also they may have used CGI to fix some of the flaws, but I'm not sure.

Archived