Iron Monkey (1993)

INCspot

I have the Media Asia DVD version of "Iron Monkey," but I'm hoping to find one that has better picture and subtitle quality, if there is one. I certainly don't want to get the Miramax version, but other than these two, what are my other options? (I don't have an all-region DVD player, FYI)

Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

None... Miramax holds the North American rights.

There is the OOP Pal Hong Kong Legends and the remastered Region 3 Fortune Star/Joy Sales.

As far as I know, the only remastered Region 1 or 0 available right now is the Miramax release.

Invest in a multi region DVD player intead of restricting yourself to the best R1 or 0 NTSC discs. It'll be the best thing you do as a movie fan.:bigsmile:

Noted. How does it compare to Mega Star's?

I haven't got hold of that edition ever but it's supposedly inferior to the HKL editions so I'm sure the Joy Sales edition (although it's slightly below the HKL ones in terms of picture quality and more so extras-wise) is superior. Old releases usually can't hold a candle to remastered ones anyhow.

Guest WuxiaFan
Invest in a multi region DVD player intead of restricting yourself to the best R1 or 0 NTSC discs. It'll be the best thing you do as a movie fan.:bigsmile:

Couldn't agree more with blue_skies. You will NEVER be able to get the best versions of any marital arts movies without a true universal DVD player. That is, not only being region free, but also with converting PAL to NTSC. Strongly suggest going to eBay and getting an Oppo Digital DVD player. They the THE BEST true universal machines on the market. The whole world of martial arts films will open up to you once you do that. :smile:

I have the Media Asia DVD version of "Iron Monkey," but I'm hoping to find one that has better picture and subtitle quality, if there is one. I certainly don't want to get the Miramax version, but other than these two, what are my other options? (I don't have an all-region DVD player, FYI)

With that being said, IRON MONKEY is one those rare exceptions where, IMHO, the US Region 1 version is actually a superb version of the film. The transfer is flawless, the subtitles are well written and easy to read, it comes in the original Cantonese audio track, and the score is awesome. The US version is slightly cut and Miramax added an introductory narrative to set up the story. IMO, the best uncut version of IRON MONKEY is the Hong Kong Legends (HKL) version. This is the PAL R2 version with over 5 hours of special features. :smile: So, in this case, it's best to own both of those versions.

:15_002:

Miramax does feature the best transfer, but it's reported to have made-up subtitles, re-scored soundtrack and it's cut.

Tai Seng had the best subtitle translation (VHS release).

The one to balance things out (not perfect though) is HKL - surprisingly better-looking than Fortune Star's digital remaster (via Joy Sales and IVL), but it does miss out on mono.

Think HKL's disc claimed over 4-hours of extras.:wink:

With that being said, IRON MONKEY is one those rare exceptions where, IMHO, the US Region 1 version is actually a superb version of the film.

No. Just no.

The transfer is flawless

Other than the missing chunks of the movie.

The subtitles are well written and easy to read,

The subtitles frequently have no connection to (or directly contradict) what's actually being said.

it comes in the original Cantonese audio track,

No it doesn't. It has an audio track containing Cantonese dialogue. It's not even close to the original audio track.

and the score is awesome.

That's a matter of opinion. What's not a matter of opinion is it not actually being the score intended to go with the film IRON MONKEY.

The US version is slightly cut and Miramax added an introductory narrative to set up the story.

That's what's known as a deal breaker. I didn't go to the store to buy most of IRON MONKEY, or a very similar film to IRON MONKEY made of pieces of IRON MONKEY. I went to buy IRON freaking MONKEY.

the best uncut version of IRON MONKEY is the Hong Kong Legends (HKL) version. This is the PAL R2 version with over 5 hours of special features.

This is almost certainly true.

So, in this case, it's best to own both of those versions.

Not particularly.

That's what's known as a deal breaker. I didn't go to the store to buy most of IRON MONKEY, or a very similar film to IRON MONKEY made of pieces of IRON MONKEY. I went to buy IRON freaking MONKEY.

This was pretty funny.

I have the IVL of this and am satisfied with it. I would think it's the best version as it's completely uncut and has the mono.

The only thing positive I heard about the R1 release is the fights are slowed down to a normal pace. That might be a good thing since the undercranking in the movie is a bit much from what I can remember.

Guest WuxiaFan

First let me say that there's no bigger advocate on this Forum for uncut/original audio releases of films than me. I always search out the uncut versions of films and abhor re-edited/cut/butchered films, and Miramx was one of the worst offenders at that. So, fuck you very much, rhythm-x.

As I stated in my original post, in the case of the US R1 version of IRON MONKEY, that's one rare exception where Miramax only cut 4 mins and added the narrative to set up the story. So to answer INCspot's original question, IMHO, the US R1 verison of IRON MONKEY is the best version to own.

No. Just no.

That's my opinion and your opinion, and we know what opinions are like...:neutral:

Other than the missing chunks of the movie.

I wouldn't call a total of 4 mins "chunks of the movie." :squigglemouth:

The subtitles frequently have no connection to (or directly contradict) what's actually being said.

I'll cede that point based on chen lung's post below and on how bad Miramax did with the subtitles on HERO.

No it doesn't. It has an audio track containing Cantonese dialogue. It's not even close to the original audio track.

I think you're splitting hairs here. The US R1 version contains a Cantonese DD 5.1 audio track, as does the IVL and HKL versions. The Tai Seng and the Deltamac versions contain the original Cantonese DD 2.0 mono track. To me, there's nothing wrong with the DD 5.1 track as would rather here Donnie Yen and Yu Rong Guang's actual voice in 5.1 than mono 2.0.

That's a matter of opinion. What's not a matter of opinion is it not actually being the score intended to go with the film IRON MONKEY.

I happen to like the score Miramax did MUCH better than the original score. That's exactly the reason to own both versions. I know perfectly well that score wasn't intended to go with IRON MONKEY. :neutral:

Before you make asshole comments like this, it might help you to read the original question/comment of the thread. :neutral:

Not particularly.

Maybe for you - fine. But for me, I own the HKL version because it's uncut and for the special features. I own the US version because I like the score better.

Iron_Leopard

You can have your Enter the Dragons and Once Upon a Time in Chinas and your One Armed Swordsman's. For me Iron Monkey is the greatest martial arts movie OF. ALL. TIME. It succeeds at what it sets out to do better than any other movie of any genre. One of the greatest movies ever made.

Yes, I'd say it rivals the almighty Drunken Master 2 in terms of creativity and sheer HK MA action entertainment.

Great film indeed..but the greatest?

The speeded up fight scenes spoil it a little for me, but the more times i watch it, the more i enjoy certain aspects of it which is always a sign of a great movie.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

It was a mind blower when it hit the video stores in the early 90's.

The villain, forget his name, was simply awesome.

IronMonkey07.jpg

It was years later when I learned the the young Wong Fie Hung was a girl.

IronMonkey%2B1993-11-b.jpg

So many over the top fights.

Tsui Hark and Yuen Woo-ping gave us one of the most memorable kung fu movies of the Modern Era.

And those evil monks were as mean as they get.

5192283ebbff340927.jpg

One of my favorites.

Gd Y-Y

Drunken Monk

I've always disliked just how over the top some of the fight scenes are. Especially the fight against the monks.

Regarding it being the best of all time? It's nowhere near. I don't think it would be in my top fifty.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

But still it came at a time when new kung fu movies were very rare.

GD Y-Y

But still it came at a time when new kung fu movies were very rare.

GD Y-Y

No! It came out 1993, the height of the new wave kung fu film boom.

Morgoth Bauglir

The villain, forget his name, was simply awesome.

IronMonkey07.jpg

Gd Y-Y

Yen Shi Kwan, The Killer in White

Morgoth Bauglir

I agree Iron Monkey is perfection. Great story and fights, and I love the wirework. It seems like wirework got gradually worse since this movie. Nowadays I have to watch a movie like Ip Man 2 with a bunch of old dudes on wires when it should be a fight on the ground. Or Ip Man 1 where a guy can't seem to get up from the ground without help from a wire.

The only thing I don't like about Iron Monkey is the final fight. It could be my favorite movie of all time if it wasn't for that overdone final fight. A 2 on 1 grounded fight would have been much better.

Iron_Leopard

I'm actually about 98% sure that Iron Monkey is my favorite movie of all time. But yeah I understand the sped up fights aren't for everyone. But like one review said they are there to enhance the action rather than conceal the actors lack of martial arts skill.

Someone mentioned the Monks. They are freaking hilarious. I love how they get beat up by all four of the main characters.

And the soundtrack. Incredible soundtrack. I actually really enjoy the Miramax soundtrack to but the original can't be beat. Someone posted the full HK version on youtube. I didn't even know it existed.

Is this the one where in the end disagreements are settled on burning poles? Anyway I propably did not like it a lot when saw years ago as I do not have HKL dvd any longer...

OpiumKungFuCracker

Wow, big praise. Now I have to revisit this asap. I don't think it's my favorite Donnie Yen movie, I enjoy him in modern roles like Tiger Cage and SPL/ stuff like that. Come to think of it, I think I might prefer the modern martial arts films to the classic old skool stuff pre 1981. I'm just really big into triad/yakuza gangster movies/ I'm not sure why though? Bromance?

Archived