Crossfire (????) - Donnie Yen

DiP

Donnie will reunite (since their ATV days) with director Benny Chan for this action thriller which will see Donnie play a former police inspector who travels to South America to rescue his kidnapped wife. Emperor Motion Pictures handles production and Donnie will also serve as producer (and hopefully as action director as well).

https://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.se/2018/03/benny-chans-crossfire-lines-up-donnie.html?m=1

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Donnie Yen teams up with director Benny Chan.

From Film Combat Syndicate - Benny Chan action thriller, Crossfire. The project is being hailed as a big budget spectacle that will star Yen as a former police inspector who travels to South America to rescue his kidnapped wife.

IMG_20180319_080026.jpg

• Like 2

Will Donnie's natural talents be enough to offset Benny Chan's questionable directing choices? And how many policemen will get killed in this film?

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Will Donnie's natural talents be enough to offset Benny Chan's questionable directing choices?

Good question @DrNgor, and I wonder who they will bring on board as action director?.

Drunken Monk

I personally like "Call of Heroes" but it definitely needed someone with a less frantic eye for action. I mean, it wasn't bad but it wasn't all it could have been. Benny Chan's had a mixed bag. I'm hoping a "big budget spectacle" with Yen on board will be entertaining.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Hang a big budget spectacle. I will boycott this movie if  Marko Zaror isn't cast and he & Yen don't have a fantastic screen fight.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

Hmmm....something about Benny Chan directing Donnie Yen sends a shiver of terror down my spine.  I sense the potential for this to be another 'Special ID' (re: almost unwatchable).

Not a fan of Benny Chan so this has me a bit skeptical. The guy can make occasional good movies (Big Bullet, Shaolin) but does mostly over-melodramatic crap that is best left for those that just want good action scenes. However, if he can bring out a surprisingly good movie the same way Wong Jing (another one whose movies I'm not a fan of either) did with Chasing the Dragon then it's all good. Here's hoping for it, seeing Donnie as a producer.

• Like 1

Now this is a project I can get really excited about! This explains why Herman Yau is taking over The White Storm 2 as well. Benny Chan, along with Dante Lam, is one of the best at big budget action spectacle. I hope that this features a rooftop Fight at sunset, the poster got me thinking! 

• Like 2

When did Benny Chan became a pariah among Hong Kong-action-fans? Yes, his movies occasionally get a bit overly melodramatic but his filmography includes more hits than misses in my opinion. I'll always love him for A Moment Of Romance, but in my book the sequel, Man Wanted, Magic Crane, Big Bullet, Who Am I?, Gen-X- and Gen-Y-Cops, Heroic Duo, New Police Story, Divergence, Rob-B-Hood, Invisible Target, Shaolin, Connected, The White Storm and Call of Heroes are also at least very entertaining, some even great. Looking forward to crossfire.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 3/21/2018 at 8:51 PM, kami said:

When did Benny Chan became a pariah among Hong Kong-action-fans?

For me Benny Chan used to be a solid commercial filmmaker, stuff like 'Invisible Target' and 'Connected' are far from masterpieces, but they're certainly entertaining.

I'd say 'Connected' was the last decent movie he made, with the last 10 years consisting of mediocre rubbish.  The likes of 'City Under Siege' and 'The White Storm' are laughably bad and at times borderline unwatchable, so it'll be interesting to see him collaborate with Donnie Yen.  I'll hope for the best, but expect the worst.

• Like 2

It seems rather strange to me to put a crapfest like City Under Siege in the same quality level as The White Storm which is a very entertaining if sometimes silly old school heroic bloodshed movie. Most people I know (and who watched the movie) are quite fond of it and so am I.

Drunken Monk
7 minutes ago, kami said:

It seems rather strange to me to put a crapfest like City Under Siege in the same quality level as The White Storm which is a very entertaining if sometimes silly old school heroic bloodshed movie. Most people I know (and who watched the movie) are quite fond of it and so am I.

A while ago, I toiled between purchasing "The White Storm" or "Firestorm" (the Andy Lau vehicle) and opted for the latter. To this day, I'm certain I made the wrong decision.

While Firestorm is not bad The White Storm is a much better film which brings back memories of classic John Woo-movies with its sense of brotherhood and nostalgia.

So...! I know Donnie said he would be filming 4 movies this year, 2 of which have already finished shooting and this and Ip Man 4 left, which both would obviously be the 2 he said will release next year. Is it confirmed that Ip Man 4 is next in line to shoot and then Crossfire will be after? What about Sleeping Dogs?? Crossfire is the project I’m looking forward to the most so I hope we see it in 2019 for sure!

• Like 2

Donnie said that he's doing a Hollywood movie this year so it's likely that he'll make Sleeping Dogs after doing Ip Man 4. Filming of this one may commence at the end of the year.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Yeah it sounds like Ip Man 4 will be filmed next (shooting starts this month I think). Sleeping Dogs would be cool, but I’d rather he get that Benny Chan collabo done first because I just have a feeling it’ll be amazing. It definitely has a ton of potential!

• Like 3

By the way, this is an idea that popped into my head today while doing a google image search for Donnie Yen Crossfire. A recent image of Mariah Carey showed up from a Malaysian news site that had an article on Yen’s new films. She is still looking gorgeous. I thought it would be interesting to see her as Yen’s wife in Crossfire. I know she doesn’t have a reputation for being a good actress but she’s fine and has a beautiful voice 

• Like 1

Unfortunately there’s a bit of bad news. The movies production has been postponed. Originally it would’ve apparently started filming this October. To make me more nervous, Emperor Motion Pictures has removed this film from their website too. Anybody got any info?!

The postponement may be to accommodate Donnie's hectic schedule. He's currently shooting Mulan in New Zealand, and is also doing post-production work on Enter the Fat Dragon. Then he's prepping Sleeping Dogs for next year.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

For me Benny Chan used to be a solid commercial filmmaker, stuff like 'Invisible Target' and 'Connected' are far from masterpieces, but they're certainly entertaining.

I'd say 'Connected' was the last decent movie he made, with the last 10 years consisting of mediocre rubbish.  The likes of 'City Under Siege' and 'The White Storm' are laughably bad and at times borderline unwatchable, so it'll be interesting to see him collaborate with Donnie Yen.  I'll hope for the best, but expect the worst.

I second that.

(I would also mention Who Am I? as another  example of his "far from a masterpiece, but an entertaining" effort. The rest of his filmography as a director is disappointing)

While waiting for news on what’s going on with this production, let me mention a few things about Benny Chan’s filmography. Keep in mind I haven’t seen The Magic Crane or Meow, haha. I think that he really knows how to make an action movie. Sure some have a bit of questionable filler but still...

A Moment of Romance was a classic HK film, Son on the Run was laughably bad. What a Hero! And MOR 2 were ok. Man Wanted was decent. Big Bullet is where his stride started to take flight. Almost every action movie he’s done since has been as least worthy of the best action design nomination that they got. Invisible Target and The White Storm were 2 of my absolute favorites from him. Shaolin was excellent, Connected was great, Call of Heroes and Rob-B-Hood were good. City Under Siege was terrible. And by the way, Gen-Y Cops May have been a very bad film but it was highly enjoyable and entertaining (a lot for the wrong reasons). Anyway, I think that with the bars that Donnie sets for himself, as long as he’s the AD, coupled with Benny Chan delivering where it counts that this film can really be something special and I’d hate to see it get canceled or even delayed much cuz it has sooo much potential!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 7:54 AM, mark187 said:

Unfortunately there’s a bit of bad news. The movies production has been postponed. Originally it would’ve apparently started filming this October. To make me more nervous, Emperor Motion Pictures has removed this film from their website too. Anybody got any info?!

On 8/20/2018 at 1:01 AM, DiP said:

The postponement may be to accommodate Donnie's hectic schedule. He's currently shooting Mulan in New Zealand, and is also doing post-production work on Enter the Fat Dragon. Then he's prepping Sleeping Dogs for next year.

From M.A.A.C Ation, Link- http://www.maactioncinema.com/archives/8793

UPDATE: According to BACKSTAGE production on ‘Crossfire’ has officially been pushed back. Perhaps this is due to Donnie Yen’s commitment with Disney’s ‘Mulan’, which is currently in production. ‘Crossfire’ and the live-action adaptation of the hit video game ‘Sleeping Dogs’ are the two films that are next in line in Yen’s long list of upcoming projects.

• Like 1