Shogun Assassin DVD

Guest landshark

Guest landshark

Hey everyone, new here and had a quick question.

I ordered a DVD of Shogun Assassin from a guy on EBay and got a slim DVD case with a burned disc (that didn't play) and badly photocopied artwork.

Is there anywhere that you guys can recommend that has the REAL DVD? Either a seller on EBay or a store?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AnimEigo

If you are in the US or Canada, then you most likely will be getting a burned disk everytime. Occasionally, you will find a Hong Kong import. Shogun Assassin is not legally licensed in the US and Canada. So there has never been an official Region 1 release of Shogun Assassin on DVD.

Guest landshark

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

By the way, are the rights for Shogun Assassin different from the rights for the LW&C series? I already own all the LW&C discs, but I want Shogun Assassin also just for nostalgia's sake. If AnimEigo could put that one out also...:D

Guest kungfusamurai

Perhaps the rights are connected to the audio more than just the edit of the film. The music and voices are probably going to be a pain in the ass to get the rights for.

If you just want the Shogun Assassin disc probably best to get a crappy burn from Ebay, or if you live near a Chinatown, see if there's any boots there of the Region 2 discs. From what I understand, that disc has a really bad video transfer.

KFS

Guest FarEastPirate

what you got was a DVD-R

there is a Shogun Assassin DVD with the soundtrack and the quality is pretty good check it out

Guest AnimEigo

The rights are different. Shogun Assassin was originally licensed, I believe, in the early 80's as a separte title from Lone Wolf and Cub. The editing that was done to merge the 2 Lone Wolf movies if most likely what made it so they were basically two different properties.

When the license ran out for Shogun Assassin, was about the same time AnimEigo was looking into getting the rights to Lone Wolf and Cub. I think they were trying to shop the original series a little bit. From what I have been told, Toho has no intention of re-licensing Shogun Assassin. I have not been given any word as to why. I have a few theories but nothing that has been said to me.

We will not be releasing Shogun Assassin. I think someone said before, that you may be able to pick up Region 2 copies around. I have heard there are some that are pretty good, but for the most part I have heard many of them are copies from VHS.

Archived