Non martial artist actors who look awful trying to bust a move

sym8

Chuck Norris was once asked what he thought of David Carradine’s martial arts abilities,he replied David Carradine knows as about as much about martial arts as I do about acting,which got me thinking.Which non martial artist actor has attempted to bust a move but looks absolutely awful at it in a movie/tv series?I have just seen Ralph Macciho in the Cobra Kai YouTube trailer and his skills look terrible,also Cameron Diaz in Charles Angels looked very stiff and wooden be interesting to here everyone else’s thoughts 👍

• Like 4

TheFlyingPanda

hahaha! You took the words out of my mouth with Charlies Angles. Let's not even get on Netflix's Iron Fist

• Like 2

DragonClaws

In KnightRider 2000(1991), there's a really bad fight featuring David Hasslehoff, and the only time he looks good, is when he's clearly been doubled by a much smaller Martial Arts expert.

• Like 2

I seem to remember Gil Gerard in the Buck Rogers tv series also looked awful until the stunt double stepped in.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Some Lo Lieh's stuff used to drive me nuts, honestly, when he would just pivot all the time, etc. Especially in Executioners of Shaolin against Chen Kuan Tai. As Phillip Kao Fei said, "Lo Lieh has no kung fu!" Still like all his Wu Xia and Five Fingers of Death, but he did start phoning it in on some of those hand to hand fight scenes.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Some Lo Lieh's stuff used to drive me nuts, honestly, when he would just pivot all the time, etc. Especially in Executioners of Shaolin against Chen Kuan Tai. As Phillip Kao Fei said, "Lo Lieh has no kung fu!" Still like all his Wu Xia and Five Fingers of Death, but he did start phoning it in on some of those hand to hand fight scenes.

I felt the same about Jimmy Wang Yu,but I enjoyed a lot of his films👍

• Like 4

I thought Bridgette Wilson (Sonya Blade) in Mortal Kombat looked pretty damn awful. Then again the entire movie wasn't that good... Add the likes of DOA: Dead or Alive and Double Dragon to it as well. I know the latter features Mark Dacascos and the beautiful Alyssa Milano but that doesn't save it either. Although I admit it's a guilty pleasure and I loved the movie as a child.

• Like 5

Omni Dragon
4 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Some Lo Lieh's stuff used to drive me nuts, honestly, when he would just pivot all the time, etc. Especially in Executioners of Shaolin against Chen Kuan Tai.

I interpreted it as Pai Mei's kung fu was so powerful he barely needed to look like he was trying with most opponents.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Well there's that, and of course there's the fact that she wouldn't have been able to pull off that style anyways. When I mean style I mean  Pai Mei Style which actually exists. In my humble opinion that system is Simply Southern praying mantis and somebody put that name on it to make it sound scarier.

• Like 2

Actor Harry Baer tries to pull of some really bad Martial Arts inspired moves, in Rulers of The City(1976) a.k.a Mr Scarface. A low budget Italian mob movie starring Jack Palance as Scarface Malanzi. Who as usual steals the entire show without evening trying. Directed by Fernardo Di Leo(Shoot First Die Later), the film features some unintentionally funny bare knuckle brawls. Actor Baer trys to put some life into the fights, and pulls of the rare decent kick or punch. Come to think about it, he might have been doubled for some of these better moves?. Sadly there's little recommnd here, it's only one for die hard Jack Palance & Italain cinema buff's.

Harry Baer's character sports car driving goes debt collector,  in one of the uninspiring fight scenes from Ruler's of The City. The scene where he run's at the guy and performs high kick at 1-29, might be the work of a stunt man?.

• Like 3

David Carradine looked incredibly awkward trying to do martial arts in the Kung Fu tv series but acting wise he played that part great. The best he ever looked was against Norris in Lone Wolf McQuade. Macchio has never been a believable looking martial artist and neither has Martin Kove but boy did they both play those characters well!

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, CT KID said:

Macchio has never been a believable looking martial artist and neither has Martin Kove but boy did they both play those characters well!

The pair convinced me as a child, I thought Martin Kove's bad guy was one of the baddest people on the planet.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The lead actress in this can barely move her legs!

lol she was definitely not cast for her kicking skills but for her hotness. I must say Bong Soo Han does make for a good creepy cult leader...

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I can't believe ol' Captain Kirk himself, William Shatner, hasn't been mentioned...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Shatner trained in judo and kempo karate,I guess he just wasn’t that great at it(film wise anyway)😜

• Like 3

The guy that played the martial arts psycho killer in Fear City looked like crap performing his moves against Tom Berenger's ex-boxer character, stiff and awkward moving. Not a bad Abel Ferrara sleaze noir flick though

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, sym8 said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Shatner trained in judo and kempo karate,I guess he just wasn’t that great at it(film wise anyway)😜

Shatner was a student of Tom Bleecker (Ed Parker black belt). He did have a heck of a drop kick.

Edited by Jesse Smooth
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Check out the bootwork on 1970's Turkish action star Cuneyt Arkin.

Damn, I thought that was Don Johnson for a second there but I know he can't kick like that. 😜

• Like 2

Did they have a double for actor Nicholas Hammand?, in the following fight scene Spider-Man is outclassed by his foe. At least in terms of performing the choreography. The following clips are taken from Spider-Man The Dragon Challenge(1979). Maybe @AlbertV, can I-D that stunt guy in the first clip?

Then again, you don't need to be a Kung Fu Master. When you have a projectile net/webbing that projects from your wrists.

• Like 1