Sounds Of Kung Fu: Old School Movie Scores

sifu iron perm

Secret Executioner

Several of the musical themes from Chang Cheh's Disciples Of Shaolin comes the Italian softcore comedy Cugini Carnali and was composed by a guy named Claudio Mattone.

Here are some examples:

l8zqxskPn1Y

RJHPBVlJhEk

(talking about the opening theme, but you can watch the whole film if you're into it)

• Like 1

I like the tune from the opening of Ninja In The Dragon's Den. Fun song, it was done explicitly for the movie.

This song is called Legend of the Ninja by Alfredo Chen Singers. It's an awesome song that goes along with an awesome opening.

• Like 1

Reel Power Stunts

It's undeniable that some Hong Kong/Kung Fu films stole music. When you heard John Williams' "Star Wars" soundtrack, or Pink Floyd in an indie kung fu film, you could be pretty sure that permission hadn't been sought! That doesn't guarantee that every time you hear a music familiar cue from a western source in a HK film that it's stolen tho.

Many movies and TV series, in addition to commissioning scores, use library tracks. The usage terms for such tracks is rarely exclusive. Many of the Shaws films used tracks licensed by the DeWolf Music library. DeWolf capitalised on this in recent years:

http://www.dewolfeshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=182

Several of the music cues in Monty Python & The Holy Grail are from the DeWolf library. It's possible that other films which used them actually paid for the right to do so.

Dewolfe composer Paul Ferris, for example, had music used in "Shaolin Mantis" and "Witchfinder General". Pierre Arvay's track "Ice Floe 9" can be heard in "Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin" (as Morgoth wrote), as well as "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" and "Dawn of the Dead".

DeWolf isn't the only music library popular with TV/Film. EMI have KPM for example.

Sometimes library tracks can be used so effectively that folks assume it was composed for the project with which it's best associated - case in point the BBC quizshow "Mastermind"

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

In the English trailer for Disciples Of Shaolin, I heard something sounding like a theme from a pirate or adventure film from the 1930s and the western-like tune sounds a lot like the theme from Death Rides A Horse (by Ennio Morricone, no less).

9wRMqd6f2a8

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
In the English trailer for Disciples Of Shaolin, I heard something sounding like a theme from a pirate or adventure film from the 1930s and the western-like tune sounds a lot like the theme from Death Rides A Horse (by Ennio Morricone, no less).

9wRMqd6f2a8

Unusual trailer as it's English text, but with Mandarin with subs dialogue.

Yes, that is Death Rides A Horse!

• Like 1

i always wondered with this song came from

i think it was taken from the international cut of furious slaughter but it may have been stolen from another movie :squigglemouth:

I think we all know what the name of the song is. I've tried looking for it but I don't know who the singer is. Catchy tune!

Very cool trailer!

Does anyone know where I can find the song from the opening of The Fighting Fool and Two Toothless Tigers. I found it here, but it's a sped version:

DAf575jnOrY

• Like 1

Fists of Bruce Lee used these two tracks:

Opening credits and final scene music

3aGBXrJ6e34

Hotel restaurant scene, where Bruce Li meets his real contact...after learning Wei Ping-Ao was a "phony" contact

8onXCGD09TY

• Like 1

This used to be a fun, informative thread on KFC Forums. If you're a kung fu movie fan, then you should know that the music in kung fu movies are typically borrowed from other films. So if you're wondering where a certain soundtrack comes from, then ask here on this thread and hopefully a forum member can help out.

I'll be updating this post whenever I can add more info:

Invincible Armour-Day of Anger (Riz Ortolani)

• Like 1

I was looking for the funky music from the training scenes from Daggers 8.

And of course, this theme from A Fist Full of Talons (go to 56:12):

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hi Ken, and thanks for starting this thread.

The video you added is the entire film, not just the scene you are referring to. Can you please tell us the time in the film where the music you want ID'ed starts?

• Like 1

Hi Ken, and thanks for starting this thread.

The video you added is the entire film, not just the scene you are referring to. Can you please tell us the time in the film where the music you want ID'ed starts?

Oh, when I click to play the video, it takes directly to the right scene. Anyway, it's the training scene at 56:12.

• Like 1

This used to be a fun, informative thread on KFC Forums. If you're a kung fu movie fan, then you should know that the music in kung fu movies are typically borrowed from other films. So if you're wondering where a certain soundtrack comes from, then ask here on this thread and hopefully a forum member can help out.

I'll be updating this post whenever I can add more info:

Invincible Armour-Day of Anger (Riz Ortolani)

On the home page of the site, there is a feature called Sounds From The Chamber where I highlight songs that have been featured in classic martial arts film. I created the Sound Chamber, where you can listen to, as well as download all the songs that I have featured so far.

post-2-144199715201_thumb.png

• Like 1

On the home page of the site, there is a feature called Sounds From The Chamber where I highlight songs that have been featured in classic martial arts film. I created the Sound Chamber, where you can listen to, as well as download all the songs that I have featured so far.

Oh, of course! I usually use the Sound Chamber to find out where some of the soundtracks have come from. Very resourceful. I wanted to use this thread so the forum members can ask where a song comes from and hopefully someone can help. Maybe you can add them to the Sound Chamber if you'd like. :thumbsup

• Like 1

Oh, of course! I usually use the Sound Chamber to find out where some of the soundtracks have come from. Very resourceful. I wanted to use this thread so the forum members can ask where a song comes from and hopefully someone can help. Maybe you can add them to the Sound Chamber if you'd like. :thumbsup

I actually forgot to mention that in my previous comment Great idea KenHashibe. If anyone can come up with info on a song used in a movie, that I have not already featured, I would love to showcase it on the front page and add it to the Sound Chamber.

• Like 1

I've been trying to find "a few" music tracks recently, so I thought I'd list them here. Does anyone know where I can find...?

...the music that plays during the end credits of The Challenger.

...the "soft fist" training scene music from Daggers 8. "Soft fist is a hard technique to beat."

[FOUND]...the music that plays during the opening/fight between Philip Ko and Gordon Liu/final fight of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter.

...the music from A Fist Full of Talons (you know what music I'm talking about).

[FOUND]...the music from the second fight scene in Five Superfighters.

...the music from the trailer of The Master (go to 2:03).

Yeah, I'm looking for a lot of soundtracks, but hopefully someone can help me find at least one of them. Thanks in advance.

BTW I think it'd be best if one of the moderators could combine this thread with this thread: http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/19123-where-does-that-music-come-from/

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1

If I'm thinking of the right one, your Eight Diagram Pole Fighter track is library music. It's called "Mob Violence" and it's by an artist called Ivor Slaney. I remember asking this on the old KFC forum as I'd heard it used in a documentary or similar, after seeing the film. I'm afraid I can't help out with the other ones.

• Like 2

If I'm thinking of the right one, your Eight Diagram Pole Fighter track is library music. It's called "Mob Violence" and it's by an artist called Ivor Slaney. I remember asking this on the old KFC forum as I'd heard it used in a documentary or similar, after seeing the film. I'm afraid I can't help out with the other ones.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks @Asmo. 1 down, 5 to go.

• Like 1

silver_emulsion

I watched The Dragon's Snake Fist yesterday and I'm dying to know what the song is that recurs throughout the movie. I made an MP3 of a longer section of it, does anyone know?

dragonssnakefist.mp3

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Sounds Of Kung Fu: Old School Movie Scores

We used to have an extensive thread that dealt with all the music and borrowed scores, featured in old-school Kung Fu movies. I think the original one was started by @ThunderScore?, who knows a lot about the subject. Thought it was time we got that thread back on track if possible?. Tried to find Chen Lee & The General, from the 1969 True Grit soundtrack. That features on the soundtrack to Ways Of Kung Fu, and multiple other Kung Fu flicks scores. It's been removed from YouTube since the original thread was started back in 2015.

This track is featured in Wu Tang Magic Kick.

Western score from the Hour Of The Gun, featured in countless Kung Fu movies.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

How come the old thread that was lost during the forum blackout, didnt get merged with these even older threads?.

I'f I'd known, I wouldnt have tried to start another thread.

• Like 1