Sounds Of Kung Fu: Old School Movie Scores

sifu iron perm

sifu iron perm

Sorry if this thread subject has been done many times..

I was watching the master of the flying guillotine again a few nights ago in which the electronic soundtrack gave me amplified chills all over. The sounds of tangerine dream, Neu! and Karaftwerk were delivered right on the button throughout the film. Can anyone else suggest and throw out other titles with examples of Krautrock type tunes as the soundtrack?

• Like 1

• Administrator

When I saw the thread title I thought "Oh man, MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE has one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I'll post that." Then I read your post. :tongue: LOL

SHOGUN ASSASSIN is another favorite, though it wasn't borrowed.

Was it at the end of THE KARATE when they played part of the Moody Blues' Nights In White Satin as the villain fell down the mountain at the end?

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Eeeh, any classic Fu flick that hasn't got a completely swiped score?

Mar's Villa's score it almost completely made up of the soundtracks from The Man With The Golden Gun and The Spy Who Loved Me.

I think Frankie Chan was the best at picking tunes for these films.

• Like 1

Always loved the use of Morricone's instrumental tune from Return of Ringo in Savage 5, really builds the atmosphere...

As for Mar's Villa always thought most of the music was from Dominc Fontiere's Hang 'Em High score...

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
Always loved the use of Morricone's instrumental tune from Return of Ringo in Savage 5, really builds the atmosphere...

As for Mar's Villa always thought most of the music was from Dominc Fontiere's Hang 'Em High score...

true to the word that! Also love tower of death soundtrack, fits every scene perfectly..not too forced or lame. The Bobby Lo theme is melo and funky.

The man the myth has a terrific funky-jazzy soundtrack..

snake in the eagle's shadow (the eng dub version) has one of my fav jean Michel jarre's Oxygen 2..

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
true to the word that! Also love tower of death soundtrack, fits every scene perfectly..not too forced or lame. The Bobby Lo theme is melo and funky.

The man the myth has a terrific funky-jazzy soundtrack..

snake in the eagle's shadow (the eng dub version) has one of my fav jean Michel jarre's Oxygen 2..

Tower Of Death's Cantonese score is from The Dunwich Horror.

Actually, SITES has the Jarre music on the Chinese version, and some copes of the English dub (such as on the Columbia dvd). Other copies use faux-Jarre music (see the HKL DVD) for the English dub that was likely done for the US release in the early 80s.

Fist Of Unicorn seriously rocks - Morricone, John Barry and PINK FLOYD!!

Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger has classics from Issac Hayes, Pink Floyd and John Barry, and the US version ups the excitement with some cool stocks cues.

Shaw Brother's The Water Margin is mostly scored by Uriah Heep's Sailsbury.

And best of all, Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave introduced me to this amazing piece - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KKakRGGkk

You know, I used to think Joseph Koo was a total genius - it was a bit of a shock to later discover nearly all of Way Of The Dragon was Once Upon A Time In The West!

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

One i've heard alot is the piece from the Haga Sophia mosque sequence from From Russia With Love.

Im not big on westerns, so aside from the obvious Morricone stuff, I rarely notice those swipes.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Was it at the end of THE KARATE when they played part of the Moody Blues' Nights In White Satin as the villain fell down the mountain at the end?

Maybe, but it's also the case with NOT SCARED TO DIE.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Ninja Terminator has a little snippet off A Clockwork Orange. :eek::eek::eek:

Silver Dragon Ninja uses bits off Genesis' Tonight Tonight Tonight at a point. This made the scene just hilarious. (speaking of Genesis, the IFD movie Hitman The Cobra features a portion of Mama)

In the trailer of Buddhist Fist And Tiger Claws, one can hear Just Blue by Space.

Read that The Ninja Squad contained pieces by a Dutch band called Clan Of Xymox.

• Like 1

Read that The Ninja Squad contained pieces by a Dutch band called Clan Of Xymox.

The Ninja Squad also contained 2 tracks from the British group, Dif Juz ("Gunet" and "Hu". Both are great tracks.) and a snippett of the opening drums from The Human League's "Human".

• Like 1

hands of death (roc tien) : papa was a rolling stone

gods of wu tang: the psycho shower scene

5 fingers of death: ironsides alternate theme (or was it perry mason?)

• Like 1

Ninja Terminator has a little snippet off A Clockwork Orange. :eek::eek::eek:.

If memory serves, so does The Tiger Jump (aka Hard as a Dragon). VERY strange choice...

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
If memory serves, so does The Tiger Jump (aka Hard as a Dragon). VERY strange choice...

Never heard of this movie, but I'll be sure to check it out ASAP. :bigsmile:

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Concerning Exit The Dragon, Enter The Dragon: does anybody know who made the rendition of the classic tune Gimme Some Lovin' heard during the night club scene ? I love this song and this rendition is damn cool.

As far as great soundtracks go:

- Taiwanese kung fu comedy The Three And A Half Dumb Kung Fu Girls (AKA Kung Fu Girls) uses a rendition of a part from Rossini's William Tell Overture (not the same rendition than in A Clockwork Orange though) - which is downright hilarious (one of the many hilarious things in the film).

- Godfrey Ho's Fist Of The Golden Monkey has Velvet Rape by Space and the Blues Brothers' rendition of Peter Gunn Theme

- several movies (Phantom Kung Fu for instance) have used snippets from the OST of Logan's Run (!)

• Like 1