Young Hero (1980) HD

kevenzz

Here is some pictures from a 1080p webrip... it looks awesome in motion.... too bad no company is willing to release that.

07c0HK2Y_t.png eyFJv8Ql_t.png vNDUG1rR_t.png 7NWJr4Wj_t.png 2Eot9gtp_t.png jkLriLmy_t.png I6Ra3Tut_t.png Qxyo2KjE_t.png M4m3XgOI_t.png WDawqbRY_t.png 5ZDmXZIx_t.png 7kUt2vns_t.png LqZ2yikM_t.png M4xwT1Hv_t.png Qhhyinb8_t.png X2ti4lLN_t.png

I mean this is quite an upgrade from the vcd version doesn't it ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I have the rip and I was going to add English dub to it but I realised that the print in cut by almost 15 minutes.... what a letdown.

One Armed Boxer
On 3/3/2018 at 6:11 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I will sub.

Will you be able to insert the missing 15 minutes?

TheKungFuRobber

@NoKUNGFUforYU I'd be happy to help work on it if you need help with producing menus and artwork. I knew about that Chinese transfer of the Young Hero for a while, but wasn't going to bother because it's heavily cut and as that is a recently struck transfer used I can see a high likelihood of it getting an official HD release some time within the next couple of years. As such, I thought I'd just stick with my bootleg and hold out until an official release came along. Good luck with it, seems like a great endeavour. :)

EDIT: The Mandarin audio track provided on the Chinese network stream is a stereo remix. Does anyone have a high quality and complete Mandarin soundtrack (Should be around 87 minutes in length). Also, does your editing friend know how to properly convert between framerates? The Chinese tend to use 25FPS, and a progressive 23.976 FPS version with 3/2 pulldown would be much appreciated I think, and it is highly likely that the sources will be of differing standards. Just my two cents.

I can also restore the missing opening credits and provide a 1080p file for you if you want.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I asked my friend and the frame rates are a big no, sadly. I am sure there is a way, but it is out of our league. I will sub this one later, I have about 4 movies ahead of it- Bruce VS Superman, Sword of Heaven and Hell, Dog King and Snake King and possibly the Bloody Claw. The bloody Claw will be super difficult. My wife's Mandarin is meh (she speaks Fukienese) and my father in law is losing his hearing. I will probably big Toby and hope for the best. He said he thought it was a good flick, so wish me luck. 

PS, I would not necessarily hold my breath. From what I understand these movies that are being restored over in China are for Chinese Video on Demand. They need a lot of content, etc, but I don't think they are quibbling over being uncut, etc. I am taking my chances and subbing what I can. I do need to take a break soon as I am subbing and tracking down stuff more than I am watching, by a mile! My wife is binge watching stuff on Netflix and I rarely get past the first 30 minutes when I stay up after she goes to bed. Finally caught 8 strikes of a Wildcat and though the first half was a little dull it got me at the end. No spoilers, but for whatever reason it was pretty satisfying.

I synched the first 7 minutes of the English dub to the 1080p print but then I gave up because it's too compliated and I just don't have the patience for complicated stuff anymore :)

The print appears to be in PAL format so the movie is around 1:25 in total... so it's missing 10 minutes and not 15.

They also cut the opening and they added new ending credits.

I don't understand why they cut the print anyway ? the parts they cut are mostly dialog scenes so... it's not about the violence.

It's unfortunate that the print is cut but as @kevenzz pointed out since it's only dialog I wouldn't mind just having english subtitles with the file and enjoy the movie for what it is. Beggars can't be choosers :wink

NoKUNGFUforYU
3 hours ago, kevenzz said:

I synched the first 7 minutes of the English dub to the 1080p print but then I gave up because it's too compliated and I just don't have the patience for complicated stuff anymore :)

The print appears to be in PAL format so the movie is around 1:25 in total... so it's missing 10 minutes and not 15.

They also cut the opening and they added new ending credits.

I don't understand why they cut the print anyway ? the parts they cut are mostly dialog scenes so... it's not about the violence.

You were able to get it to work with the frame rate? I will sub in the next week or so. Doing 4 projects at once, and I am a little burnt out. 

TheKungFuRobber

If you can get the HD cut to me, I'll sync up the English dub and get the film fixed up. Can you get the .m2ts stream to me?

TheKungFuRobber
1 hour ago, kevenzz said:

I got it on cinemageddon to be honest.... it's an .mp4 file.

My account got disabled on there for inactivity

CG is the living proof that there's plenty of HD versions out there of those movies. It's just a matter of the studios releasing them now.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I spoke to Toby. There are Video on Demand companies that are starved for content. They are releasing movies on TV/Computer screens for the Asian/Chinese audiences. They will still need to be customised with English subs.

The market the is huge, millions and millions of viewers versus what, a couple of hundred thousand viewers across the western countries? I will do my best to put a dent in these by trying to sub somehow. I am hoping they get to the Cathay stuff, but in the meantime we will get to making these available. What I don't want is the guy at FLK or Wu Tang to get all the benefit with none of the work.................

48 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I spoke to Toby. There are Video on Demand companies that are starved for content. They are releasing movies on TV/Computer screens for the Asian/Chinese audiences. They will still need to be customised with English subs.

The market the is huge, millions and millions of viewers versus what, a couple of hundred thousand viewers across the western countries? I will do my best to put a dent in these by trying to sub somehow. I am hoping they get to the Cathay stuff, but in the meantime we will get to making these available. What I don't want is the guy at FLK or Wu Tang to get all the benefit with none of the work.................

There's several downsides though to these videos. First many are cut (Censorship?). Then there's the audio which is mandarin only. And last but not least the burnt-in (huge) chinese subs. I can't say wheteher or not this is the case with all releases but from what I've seen so far...

Nevertheless seeing some movies in HD which only were available on VHS or VCD until now is fantastic! to say the very least.

While I hate to be the bearer of bad news, you won't be able to avoid some of you work pop up here and there. I don't know where you stand in terms of this but I've done some custom work in the past and as long as they're not being sold, I don't mind a free distribution. Again, it's part of the custom game. But I encourage you to continue your work because there's plenty of us who are just fans and love to see these movies in the best version available. So you have my humble thanks.

TheKungFuRobber

If FLK or Wu Tang Collection get their hands on this project, then there will be some nuts getting ripped off. People like me, NoKUNGFuForYu, thuglife and Jamal slave away at these projects and expect nothing in return for it, but then these fuckheads go ahead and capitalize on someone elses work. It doesn't discourage me from doing any kind of work, but it sure sucks because a lot of the time the materials are very expensive (remember when Houndslow Team made restorations of Canton Viper and spent hundreds of dollars on getting a letterbox tape?).

Also, I'd imagine that the Chinese HD version is maybe a later released version of the film which was edited down slightly (like the remastered version of New Fist of Fury with Jackie Chan that HKL put out back in '05). I know there is a China VCD of Young Hero which runs for around 78 minutes and is in Mandarin, which was put out by Ocean Shores although I'm sure the film was originally in Cantonese (extra length on VCD is just the opening credits which have been replaced with simplified Chinese computer generated credits on the HD version for Mainland Chinese viewers).  Typically the longer versions of old HK films are the ones for Taiwan markets, usually in the form of extended dialogue scenes, because of certain needs of audiences in Taiwan which differ from those in Hong Kong, and the Taiwan versions are usually the ones which end up being dubbed into English for overseas distribution.

TheKungFuRobber

Here's a low resolution sneaky peek at my custom artwork here. It still has a LOT of work to go, and I'm thinking of producing another lot which is based on the poster art, in a similar fashion to the 88Films Shaw Brothers blu ray covers.

sneak preview.jpg

young hero Ad.jpg

shaw golden
On 07/04/2018 at 11:10 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

Here's a low resolution sneaky peek at my custom artwork here. It still has a LOT of work to go, and I'm thinking of producing another lot which is based on the poster art, in a similar fashion to the 88Films Shaw Brothers blu ray covers.

sneak preview.jpg

young hero Ad.jpg

so far a very good design in one of my favourite hwang jang lee films, keep us all posted on developments

10484509_1502722563276226_4842018693727840873_n.jpg

shaw golden

colour corrected or different scan either way a vast improvement, i have more lobbies to film will post when found

TheKungFuRobber
6 minutes ago, shaw golden said:

colour corrected or different scan either way a vast improvement, i have more lobbies to film will post when found

Thanks. Same scan, just upscaled, colour corrected and removed scratches.

Archived