Question about Westerns in the 1980s

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

From what I've gathered it seems the Western was dead come the 80s. I'm assuming because of the rise of the modern day action film. Whatever the reason I'm curious why 80s cartoons in America was still heavily drenched in the genre. Shows like BraveStarr, Galaxy Rangers, Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs were half sci fi and half Western. Several other shows that weren't Westerns like Silverhawks and C.O.P.S. still featured a cowboy character in a prominent role. 

Im sure we have a couple Western fans on this forum who might can weigh in are where the genre stood in the 1980s. One may or may not have an answer regarding its impact on 80s cartoons.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
9 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Im sure we have a couple Western fans on this forum who might can weigh in are where the genre stood in the 1980s.

The genre reached its peak in the 1950's, and then it got a revival through the Italina Westenrs of the 1960's. By the 80's the genre was past its peak years, but its never really gone away.

Far from an expert on this subject, but that's the impression I've got from what little I've read about it.

Three great 80's westerns that spring to mind are The Long Riders and Pale Rider, Eastwoods re-make or follow to High Plaians Drifter and Tom Horn.

Archived